Whole car vibrating at high speed? Now with added scraping sound...

Defcon5

Had a vibration through the steering wheel since I got the car, always put it down to needing the wheels balancing. However I have now had that done, and its the same (if not more pronounced) than before! Its starting to stop me enjoying the car, so it needs sorting

Up til about 90, its just through the steering wheel, but after that the whole interior of the car starts to shake. You can see the entire dashboard vibrating.

What could be causing this? My steering wheel is off center by a few degrees if that means anything. Ive heard it can be caused by a warped brake disk? How noticable is a warped one, can you tell just by looking?

If not, would tracking/wheel alignment fix the problem (assuming they are one and the same)

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Defcon5

a warped brake disk wouldnt cause this, and would be rare for a lupo to get one, even tho the wheels are balenced, it still sounds like there not, did you get it done by someone thustworthy?? if twas me i would go back!

I'd get your wheels rebalanced as mentioned above. I can recall numerous times Ive had to have them re-done because the fitter hadn't been watching what they were doing. If its not balance, could be a rim or a tyre that's slightly out of round. If its a tyre it should improve as they wear. I know what you mean about these niggling things..I still haven't learnt to live with them. :huh:

if ur steering wheel is off centre u may well need the wheels aligned but as said above vibrations through the steering wheel is probably te wheels still being unbalanced. happened in my mates celica bout the same speed (70 vibrations in wheel 90 car felt like it was goin to dismantle)was fooking ridiculous lol.

Glen

Cant beat a car full of wobbling boobs! :lol:

lmao! i wasnt on about the boobies but yea.. u cnt beat that hahaha!

steering wheel being off centre can be due to the camber being out too

if the wheels have been reputably balanced, i'd say get the tracking and camber done and go from there :)

Girls would pay for a car like yours! Why do you think they ride horses?

we dont all ride horses.. we ride sumin else ;) ah Ha!

poss be a balance weight that has fallen off causing the vibrations. As said get it all checked out, at same time ask them to check the braking system etc so that basically killing two birds with one stone so to speak!

xsmilx@ naughty but very funny! :D

we dont all ride horses.. we ride sumin else ;) ah Ha!

Not shy, are we! ;)

@andyp, already ruled out a warped disk, brakes are fine (would have been a good excuse for a G60 though)

haha :blush: maybe!

girls jst saying girls dont ride horses cos of that reason lol.. if she wants to ride sumin she will !! lol

ha ha sorry ... back to the subject.. erm yea try gettin ur wheels rebalaced.. :rolleyes:

Edited by x smil x

Right, as it was hot today I had the windows open, and from the drivers front wheel there is a scraping sound, that increases in frequency as the speed of the wheel increases.

It sounds like the pad scraping the disk but im not sure. It only does it from that wheel (I jacked up the car and moved both front wheels by hand to check.) and it does it when the wheel is going in both directions.

Any ideas? I would say it was a warped disk, but there is no juddering when braking at any speed

It might be worth getting the balancing checked again - I had tyres fitted and balanced at a different tyre shop that usual, drove out and suffered really bad vibrations. So I took it to my prefered wheel place who rebalanced them to 0.00 on both wheels - from 30 and 40 out :o

The scraping could be unrelated...I had a bad scraping screach noise after coming out of a show over gravel, turned out the Arosa had picked up a stone that was wedging the brake cover onto the disk.

Edited by lunalupi

jack it up and try move the wheel, by putting pressure on the top and pullin at the bottom if you get me, then swapping it around, could be wheels bearing, drive shaft related

Tried, no movement in it

Right, as it was hot today I had the windows open, and from the drivers front wheel there is a scraping sound, that increases in frequency as the speed of the wheel increases.

It sounds like the pad scraping the disk but im not sure. It only does it from that wheel (I jacked up the car and moved both front wheels by hand to check.) and it does it when the wheel is going in both directions.

Any ideas? I would say it was a warped disk, but there is no juddering when braking at any speed

I've got this with mine sometimes when I use the car first thing - it goes away after 10 minutes - its either a stone in the pad scraping against the disk or the discs/pads are unevenly worn (or discs warped). I know my discs need replacing as they're a quite 'low' against the 'crusty' edge bit. I also think they're a bit ''sticky' with rust sometimes - my Loop was a second car with only £30k on the clock in the last 7 years, so it sat about alot n the brakes probably rusted up a bit. You can sometimes tell is you have uneven brake wear - when you brake it'll brake hard and then it'll feel less solid, then hard again (in the space of a second or two). Definitely think wheel balancing is the issue with the shakes at high speed. You could try swapping the wheels around (there's a correct order for this to avoid messing up the balance - should be in the owners manual?) and seeing if that makes a difference?

Edited by LupoEnvy

Im guessing its not wheel balancing if hes already had it done... Wheel balancing isn't rocket science!

However places like kwik fit etc still manage to get it wrong... we had a car in other day where we had to replace all four tyres, clean up the alloys and rebalance the wheels with proper alloy wheel weights because kwik fit rushed the job (the tyres were "furring")

Any knocking from suspension? Or steering rack?

a dent in your rim catching track rod end??? dumb question but have you checked your bolts are tight on both the wheel and the bottom of the shock unbalanced wheels aren't that bad i drove round for 3 months like it bad tracking will cause some serious hassle though i'd check that