new series of skins

Adam K

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, another truly great episode!

Prepare yourselfs...

Trying not to say anything that reveals the story, but is one episode that can't be missed.

There were some awesome lines from Cassie in tonight's episode - the highlight was the comment to Sid that she'll always love him "and that's the problem."

I've always felt so sorry for Cassie, and the dialogue with her teacher in the exam room really brought it all home. She's not nasty as people seem to make out but just so terrified of destroying everything she loves - even the harming / anorexia before her cafe epiphany in series one. This was why we saw so much of her bonding with Chris in this episode so we could understand her reaction.

Her asking the teacher about control and Sid getting punched were so well interwoven... We finally got to see why she even sabotages the things she loves (eating, Sid, nips). We finally got to understand why she's a bit nuts now - terrified of loosing what she loves, but needs to control it and the only way she can do so is by destroying it -- wonderful!

Did you notice the lift of the taxi driver and cafe sequences from her episode in series one? - there weren't totally identical, but their symbolism in her development was the same - a "touchstone" in her self-realisation. We were all reminded that this character's gone on a huge (professionally-assisted in places) journey and she's still as broken as she ever was, maybe more so.

I just feel so sorry for her in the end - she'll never escape what she's running from and you just know that nothing good will happen to her from this point on. I suspect this is the last we'll see of her... Such a shame as she was the most complex character...

The only let down was the cack-handed use of the apple to symbolise her loss of innocence when she finally realised for herself what she is is trying to run from, and the the cut to her running through the streets.

Just thought of something else - compare her asking the taxi driver to go "somewhere nice" with her crying on the cafe guy's bed after she got there. We just know Cassie's going to come to very sad end (as she now thinks she can't control anything), but I doubt we'll ever get to know what that is.

I can't believe it's ended! I have to say i'm really pleased they didn't completely write off the characters from these two series. It's great that's there's scope to bring them back when they need to because they have all come to their natural endings. In essence it's been a fantastic and really hard hitting series, it deserves awards imo :)

I agree, yes the ending was a bit predictable but as long as you revisit some characters along the way then i don't mind too much. It'll prove interesting if the how the next series is received considering they're practically changing the whole cast, if it's as well written then i should think it would be ok.

apparently the talent was too expensive?

I read this a while back when they said they were going to cull quite a lot of characters as they cost too much!

the guy that plays Tony is going to be directing a few episodes for the next series as well, if I remember correctly.

• 9 months later...

The first series wasn't all that serious either though and then when you got to know the characters better it got a lot deeper and better storylines. I think the same will happen with this new series and the next series to be honest but only time will tell!

It does seem like it'll be really good to watch though, I've missed it being on tv.

just a quicky if anyone wanted know the in memory at the end was for a guy called max preece who passed away at first i thought it was someone off the original episode but it was infact a close friends son of the director.

Annoyingly I've realised that after 2 episodes they haven't really created any new characters for this series at all, they have just changed the actors and changed the names of the old ones.

I know the original cast were intended to be pretty mental but surely they could have used the year off to create some new character traits for their "new" characters!!

WHAT! NOT NEW CHARACTERS! are you joking? who have you ever seen johny White? or Cook taking him on, yes the same structure kids out of their minds messing with the real world but thats it! The latest was great, so in the head of Cook taking the moment as it came, the structure of the episode was much the same, and thats what we need creative TV!