Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Welcome to the world of unibody! The RAM difference should make things a fair bit quicker for you as you'll now have the new and improved DDR3 stuff. Either way, kudos toyour insurance company and I'm goad your HDD data remained intact! Phew!

Yes, very pleased with the insurance co, I'd only amended the policy a few months before as our cover didn't include damage outside the home and they actually rang us to see if we wanted to add that for an extra x amount a month. Perfect timing! They were very good in general, no quibble, just wanted a full account and the machine sent to them so they could inspect it to see if it would be a repair or replacement. I was very chuffed it was a replacement.

Even if the HD had been buggered Time Machine would have saved the day, which was another great thing in itself as when the new machine came I just restored from that, no faff at all.

After a quick trip to the apple store last night to have a more thorough check of the size of the 15" and 17" Macbook pro.

I think I'm decided on the 15" One now as the 17" seems just too big. As much as I like the idea of the Prestige of the whole thing, It's just bigger than I would ever realistically need.

An employee at the apple store told me if I wasn't needing one straight away that I should hold on and buy between Christmas and new year as this is when apple are hoping to bring out the updated spec's across the whole Macbook pro range :)

It's a shame they've not started using 7200rpm hard drives as standard yet. I'm beginning to wonder if they ever will?

There was a definite improvement in performance when I upgraded from my 120gb 5400rpm drive to my 200gb 7200rpm drive in the Black Macbook...

Until December, I shall be keeping my eyes firmly locked onto the front page of MacRumours...

Edited by nfbr

After a quick trip to the apple store last night to have a more thorough check of the size of the 15" and 17" Macbook pro.

I think I'm decided on the 15" One now as the 17" seems just too big. As much as I like the idea of the Prestige of the whole thing, It's just bigger than I would ever realistically need.

An employee at the apple store told me if I wasn't needing one straight away that I should hold on and buy between Christmas and new year as this is when apple are hoping to bring out the updated spec's across the whole Macbook pro range :)

It's a shame they've not started using 7200rpm hard drives as standard yet. I'm beginning to wonder if they ever will?

There was a definite improvement in performance when I upgraded from my 120gb 5400rpm drive to my 200gb 7200rpm drive in the Black Macbook...

Until December, I shall be keeping my eyes firmly locked onto the front page of MacRumours...

I've heard it mentioned that Blu-Ray drives are to be included in the next line up of Macs/Macbooks. This is a good idea really with the quality of the screens.

I'd love to see 7200rpm drives, Blu-Ray (even though I won't use it) and Quad core technology :)

I quite like this photo showing the difference in size on the Unibody Macbook Pro's

macbook-size.jpg

Edited by nfbr
  • Like 1

It's not going to be a new macbook pro. As far as I'm aware it's just the Specs that will change...

Processors, Ram, HDD sizes etc.

I'll be gutted if the rumours aren't true as I'm itching to buy now!

I'll be January for the next spec update IMHO, and rumours indicate they aren't shifting from the Core 2 Duo just yet so any update will be incremental. They already come with large amounts of RAM now so all an update would carry is slight speed increase and perhaps larger HD's.

Personally I can't see Blueray coming just yet, it makes little sense for Apple to dip into, what would be the advantage to them?

The 17" is undoubtably a great machine, but I confess I don't really get large screen laptops except for very specific uses, my choice would be a 15" and external panel if size was an issue while desk bound at home or work.

Going off what's been published on MacRumours, Spec updates are due just before the Holidays to help boost sales over the festive period. This seems to tie in with what the guy at the Apple Store said.

The thing for me size wise is that its only £50 difference between the 15" 2.8ghz with 4gb Ram and 500gb hdd and the exact same spec in 17". I don't exactly need a 17", but for £50 you're getting a bigger screen if you do ever want to watch a movie on it and better battery life along with the joys of owning something a little different than what most other mac owners have got.

If its desk bound, I could sort of get it, but if you plan to use it in a variety of places, even if one of those is the sofa, then I'd go for the 15".

The MBP is mid cycle, but Apple have taken to updating the lines for christmas in the last couple of years, so you might be right. I'm very surprised the Apple store bod said that, they are not meant to break protocol unless an update is literally right around the corner, as in next week.

TBF, The staff at the manchester apple store don't seem to conform to those that the guys at the Bullring or in other cities do. They all seem a lot more relaxed and dare I say it: honest if you ask them when the best time to buy will be.

I'm still quite tempted to buy now lol.

when i went to the apple store in medowhall an asked about finance, his words were "dont do it" you can find it cheaper else where,

wich i thought was very good of him tbh,

quick question, you know the built in spell checker thingy, is there a way of like seeing recomendations?

I use 'Coconut Battery' on my Macbook which I'm sure some of you will be familiar with, it tells me the long-term health of the battery and it's current charge levels etc...

But the health of the battery says that after 11 months it's capable of 96% of it's original capacity (which is fine by me, my Acer PC LOST 96% in 12 months lol)

However my Macbook ran down completely the other day and now the health reads as being back to 100% capacity. This is after 160 loadcycles, is it right??

If so, I'm uber-impressed with Apple 12 months in to being a Mac owner!

I use 'Coconut Battery' on my Macbook which I'm sure some of you will be familiar with, it tells me the long-term health of the battery and it's current charge levels etc...

But the health of the battery says that after 11 months it's capable of 96% of it's original capacity (which is fine by me, my Acer PC LOST 96% in 12 months lol)

However my Macbook ran down completely the other day and now the health reads as being back to 100% capacity. This is after 160 loadcycles, is it right??

If so, I'm uber-impressed with Apple 12 months in to being a Mac owner!

I'm using MiniStat for my battery figures.

My BlackMacBook is 31 months old and has been re-charged 771 times, and it is still showing up as having 100% Capacity! I think this is probably because I run it 98% Flat before I charge it back up again!

I'm using MiniStat for my battery figures.

My BlackMacBook is 31 months old and has been re-charged 771 times, and it is still showing up as having 100% Capacity! I think this is probably because I run it 98% Flat before I charge it back up again!

Sweet, my old (young) shiny metallic dog has plenty of life left in her yet then!!

Search for Wigits on the apple downloads section.

I use Ministat for all my system performance measuring needs.

I downloaded Coconut Battery as I've not used it before and this is the result:

batterydump.jpg

So turns out the Laptop is a little older than I thought, but has a better capacity than it was originally specified with! How ace is that?

Edited by nfbr

Search for Wigits on the apple downloads section.

I use Ministat for all my system performance measuring needs.

I downloaded Coconut Battery as I've not used it before and this is the result:

batterydump.jpg

So turns out the Laptop is a little older than I thought, but has a better capacity than it was originally specified with! How ace is that?

That's awesome. I'm gutted your Blackbook has a better battery capacity than my Unibody Macbook though!!

any body recommend any other good programmes so far i only installed Adium and photoshop cs3?

:) Photoshop CS4

For some reason I've always had minor issues with CS3 craping out for no reason. I've had CS4 for 2 months now with no issues :)

Edited by nfbr

I'm still using CS2 both on the Mac and on my laptop at work - I don't like the rearranged icons and functions in CS3/4!

I think theres a plugin that makes photoshop CS4 look like photoshop CS2