Diesel power!

MattyA

Looks good, but why diesel ?
This unit generates a huge 500 hp and 1,000 Newton-meters (737.56 lb-ft) of torque...

It sprints from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in just 4.2 seconds and its top speed is well over 300 km/h (186.41 mph)...

The peak torque, reached at only 1,750 rpm...

The Audi R8 V12 TDI concept already fulfills the Euro 6 emissions standard that is likely to take effect in 2014

I think petrol has just been given its P45.

If it's already Euro VI compliant, the BiK must be pretty low! I'll ask my boss...

current R32 is only 236 lbs.ft / 320 Nm

i'd save the money and have the petrol V8 every day of the week. Tempted by a £20k phoheton (sp) with the diesel v10 though for some reason.

I think if the concept car proves anything, its how far diesel has come along in terms of performance and desirability.

Thanks for the info Crusoe ;) so thats over 3 times more torque than an R32 :shades:

But it still needs a heavy steel engine, and a petrol equivelent (engine size wise) would be much faster surely ? I dont just mean in a straight line.

Im not drawing a comparison to petrols, we all know what petrol engines can do.

I mean a few years back the words performance and diesel didnt fit in the same sentense, but now they do, albeit in a straight line ;)

with direct injection and variable geometry twin turbos coming from diesel engines back to being applied to petrol engines there is a lot more potential left. Take the 335i bmw engine as an example, takes a lot of the technology that was designed for diesel engines and produces something with huge torque and bhp figures but still return over 30mpg on a long run which is comparable with their 3lr twin turbo diesel but with better performance, sound and response.

Or look at VW's own 1.4 turbo and supercharged TSI engine, similar economy to their 2lr diesel but lighter and more powerful with much more fun characteristics. Saab had worked on even more powerful derivatives of similar engine configurations with 1.3 petrols giving 250+bhp. Given that sort of option why would you go for a diesel.

Edited by Crusoe