106 rallye or lupo gti

Guest garvey

i own a 106 GTi and a Lupo GTI and they are so different.

if you are looking for performance then you will be a little dissapointed with the loop

basically in a straight line the 106 would be a tiny teeny weeny bit faster

but around the bends, even if the loop is on coilies

YOU COULD COUNT THE NUMBER OF CARS ON ONE HAND THAT PERFORM AS WELL AS THE 106 ON THE TWISTIES!!!

but if you are looking for a bit more luxury, reliability and most of all for me the rareness. go for the loop

Rallye would appear to be more on the level of the sport according to Parkers...

1.3i Rallye 3d 9.7 s 119 mph 100 bhp

1.6 Rallye 3d 11.8 s 115 mph 90 bhp

1.6 16V GTi 3d 8.4 s 128 mph 120 bhp

Lupo

1.4 Sport 3d 9.7 s 116 mph 98 bhp

1.4 Sport TDi 3d 11.9 s 106 mph 73 bhp

1.6 GTi 3d 8.0 s 127 mph 123 bhp

Obviously the proof would be in the driving.

Rallye would appear to be more on the level of the sport according to Parkers...

1.3i Rallye 3d 9.7 s 119 mph 100 bhp

1.6 Rallye 3d 11.8 s 115 mph 90 bhp

1.6 16V GTi 3d 8.4 s 128 mph 120 bhp

Lupo

1.4 Sport 3d 9.7 s 116 mph 98 bhp

1.4 Sport TDi 3d 11.9 s 106 mph 73 bhp

1.6 GTi 3d 8.0 s 127 mph 123 bhp

Obviously the proof would be in the driving.

ive driven both the s1 and s2 rallyes and was a little disapointed with the s2's especially. the 1.3 rallyes on the otherhand felt like it warranted the rallye badge.

although i dont think you can really compare either to a lupo gti. my friend has just bought a 106 gti, and even that i struggle to compare with the lupo. the lupo just has so much character, feels much nicer to drive and is built so much better.

my lupo will edge my friends 106gti on the straights with corners being quite a close call with mine on coilovers and his as standard.

Basically id drive a lupo gti and see what you think mate. they are definately very good little cars, that are good fun

I own a silver 03 Lupo Gti and a 20yr old Renault 5 GTT 1.4.

My renault out performs the vw straight line and has more road feel.

I will agree the vw has comfort factor and sporty feel from engine sound.

As for costs, the Peug will be cheaper to maintain then the Lupo, at just 49k miles VW told me I need a cambelt changed and was quoted 570 pounds.

Good luck.

If you want quality and well a pretty class machine i'd recommend a Lupo GTI, Also not to mention maintenance costs :)

If you want something to rag around back roads and have a giggle in i'd recommend a Rallye.

Both car's are completely different breeds as said above so it's really up to what you want from either.

i've owned a vts (basically the same car as a 106 gti) and a lupo gti.

i'd go for the lupo gti every day of the week. the lupo feels special when you drive it. the saxo/106 will just feel like any other car on the road.

Rarity

More Torque (presumably?)

Handles near as good (uprated suspension (too soft as standard))

Xenons

Rarity

Looks

Turns heads

Rare

VW respect

nice 6 speed box

nice interior

etc.

IMO ;)

*edited to add rare a third time*

Edited by willcrook

Rarity

More Torque (presumably?)

Handles near as good (uprated suspension (too soft as standard))

Xenons

Rarity

Looks

Turns heads

VW respect

nice 6 speed box

nice interior

etc.

IMO ;)

Twice rare huh? Wow, glad i own one :)

Id get a lupo, but im seriously biased as ive never sat in a Pug in my life :blush:

I think i will wait for a blue one for sale because lupo,s look mint and you see to many 106's on the road not rallye's but gti's and quicksilvers.

Youll need to get down on your knees and beg for divine intervention :lol:

You could wait 6 or 12 months for a blue one, and then finally cave in and buy another colour. Then a fully loaded blue one will come up for sale LOL

Trying to find the colour you want, the mileage, the spec, the price, the condition, and close enough to where you live for you to buy it, just eventually turns into a form of self torture.

Edited by L119 UPO

hopefully i can find somebody who is a non member up here in scotland because they look amazing.and there is a silver one that goes about my area already.

All i wanted was aircon but couldnt even find that in 6 months of searching, then a low mileage minter came up cheap and i just couldnt take it any longer.

My old plate had every single one of my initials and 03 for my birthmonth LOL, had my name written all over it.

Dont really miss aircon now anyway, it's just potentially an expensive problem to fix.

All i wanted was aircon but couldnt even find that in 6 months of searching, then a low mileage minter came up cheap and i just couldnt take it any longer.

My old plate had every single one of my initials and 03 for my birthmonth LOL, had my name written all over it.

Dont really miss aircon now anyway, it's just potentially an expensive problem to fix.

its nice in the summer though ;)