Stretched Tyres

IDGM

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they look ok, but I wouldn't do it personally because it will most definitely reduce the performance of the tyre. They aren't unsafe as such, but you'll lose flexibility in the sidewall which will have knock on effects for your ride and handling. At the limit there won't be as much give available to deal with bumps and changes in cornering force so it's going to mean the contact patch isn't as stable as it would be when fitted as intended. Given that most people don't drive their car on the limit though and if they do, probably don't know how to distinguish the subtleties of the tyres grip, I doubt it really matters much. It certainly doesn't warrant wasting 5 pages of forum space for!

Edited by ArosaMike

Thank's for the help. Benham and his I can't believe it's not butter special have now asked for the thread to be deleted. A weakling in the face of Lupokind. I've poured more petrol on the fire and I'm leaving them to it - my head hurts from whacking it against the wall.

Don't think Benham was asking for the thread to be deleted, he was asking for his post to be deleted. He wrote a reply to me, then edited it.

The one girls who's running stretch (195's instead of 205's!!!) says she isn't doing it to be cool, she only does it to give her clearance, so it's alright. :rolleyes:

Don't think Benham was asking for the thread to be deleted, he was asking for his post to be deleted. He wrote a reply to me, then edited it.

The one girls who's running stretch (195's instead of 205's!!!) says she isn't doing it to be cool, she only does it to give her clearance, so it's alright. :rolleyes:

To me thats what stretch is mainly for - to make wheels fit that otherwise wouldn't......

Don't understand big stretch for no reason...

Edited by lunalupi

I think most of the people slating stretch on there, dont really have a clue what they are talking about. They are all very opinionated but they see things too black and white. And they are all guilty of prefering style over performance anyway.

I bet most of them have wheels that are too big for the car, tyres with ultra low profile etc etc. One of them said that bigger wheels gives an advantage to handling but they dont.

I actually feel annoyed reading that thread, why carn't they understand the concept of it?

And why carnt they understand a 195 width will have the same amount of tread on the road

on a 9" rim as it will on a 7". There so thick!

That benjamin bass junkie is actually a prize nob head too! Id like to hit him in the face, with a brick!

It's fair to say I replied :P Couldn't stand the crap some of them were coming out with anymore. At the end of the day....if you're that worried about the progressiveness of your tyres....stick with the standard ones!

Mike, a good read there and I'm 99% sure the science behing castor and grip will have a fair few looking in an encylopedia scratching their heads. I know I had to go back for another go at it!

It's been a little quiet since...

I no there so stupid!, oh and sorry tigz i had to have a say so i posted up a comment

and was logged on with your password. I only called someone a tool, i did well to holdback i thought! :)

:lol: If he didnt have huge blue floppy mud flaps on a Fiesta I may have been upset about it!

Mike, a good read there and I'm 99% sure the science behing castor and grip will have a fair few looking in an encylopedia scratching their heads. I know I had to go back for another go at it!

It's been a little quiet since...

Yeah....it's a bit hard to explain really. Basically the guy who designed the suspension on our car taught me about it last year. Suspension is such a sensitive thing that changing stuff can have a big effect. The guy who's done it this year has a spreadsheet that has values that go from A to BA in Excel or something silly like that!

Mike, your reply is great, great information and knowledge its people like you that i look too for advise.

This is one reason i keep coming back to this forum, there is so much knowledge and helpful people.

Well done mate.