Arosa 1.4 16v Sport - My Trackday Project

driveforward

iv got that spo0iler :) did you buy the plitter like that or did you fabricate it? look awesome :)

The unpainted splitter is a standard Leon Cupra R one, you just need to cut down the ends nearest the wheels and a couple of lugs in the middle - then just screw it on. The primed bit is the standard bumper, just cut, fabricated and filled :)

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another New Spangly Part & First Day on the Road

Today I had my first drives in the Arosa on the road since I brought it back from London in December, and obviously, a fair bit has changed since then!

The BMC CDA has really opened up the mid-range, stamp on the throttle in any gear and it just takes a vast gulp of air and picks up very nicely :) Being so much lighter now also improves the acceleration and obviously, braking too.. overall the car even on the standard suspension feels more planted and you get alot more feedback from the road (and noise!). The Momo steering wheel is nice and chunky and really inspires you to chuck the car into bends with more confidence. After my first drive in the car since before I stripped it out and started working on this project, I returned home in order to fit this:

reararb1.jpg

My nice new 22mm JabbaSport rear ARB, chosen after reading up on peoples experiences of other ARBs and the positive comments about this one. Once fitted my aim was to then head back out to guage what effect this would have had on the cars handling. It's certainly bloody heavy, but reassuringly solid.. all I had to do was brave the icy winds and get the fella fitted:

reararb2.jpg

During my first drive, I did a fair bit of circling local roundabouts and found the car to understeer quite substantially when attacking the corners (my A2 was certainly miles better), but then, that is why I had invested in the rear ARB.. I was a little sceptical, would I suffer as many people do when modding, from a placebo effect and imagine things to be much better when in reality little has changed...?

Answer: No f***ing chance! The rear ARB has absolutely transformed the handling.. using the same roundabouts as before I tested the car in the same way, with the ARB I was able to not only travel at higher speeds, but it has almost totally eradicated the understeer that was present before.. now the weak link is the tyres as the chassis just holds on. The transformation is quite simply amazing; but that's not all, with the ARB fitted understeer has been replaced by the ability to produce nice levels of entertaining oversteer when desired.

If you have an Arosa/Lupo and haven't fitted one of these ARB's, go and order one now.. it'll be amongst the best £200 you could spend on your car.. No joke.

I think you get the picture, I like it :) Something else I like is my new tax disc holder, a quality eBay special but the logo on it looks totally genuine. I had to get rid of the crappy vinyl one and put my new tax disc in something more in keeping with the look of the car:

taxdischolder.jpg

I wonder if anyone would like to take a guess at how my project's going to end up looking... ;)

This coming week will be a busy one:

Monday - Full service and cambelt change

Tuesday - Coding of new remote key (I only have one key atm)

Friday AM - 4-2-1 exhaust manifold fitting, de-cat and mid-box removal

Friday PM - Trip to Stealth Racing (http://www.stealthracing.co.uk) for a run on the rollers and depending upon what gets revealed, some possible custom ECU remapping with track use in mind

Additionally, my KW Variant 1's should turn up as they have now been despatched, my OMP cage should find it's way to SCN's Stu so that he can start to adapt it and finally (for those in the know) my bloody seats might actually materialise (fingers and toes crossed), although I won't hold my breath :wacko:

That's all for now folks, thanks for reading :D

Edited by driveforward

This is going to be an awsome little machine when its finished, its coming along real nicely.

Im impressed with what you think to the rear ARB. Ive been seriously considering one of them for mine.

Wow your flying on this project :thumbup:

Tight deadline! My bank balance isn't flying high though... :blush:

This is going to be an awsome little machine when its finished, its coming along real nicely.

Im impressed with what you think to the rear ARB. Ive been seriously considering one of them for mine.

Cheers mate, I'm certainly happy with the progress to date. I was sceptical about the ARB tbh, never fitted one to a car before so it was new ground for me.. and at the price it was certainly a leap of faith to take, but I can honestly say it's made a world of difference.

Quote Driveforward

Tight deadline! My bank balance isn't flying high though... :blush:

I know what you mean i dread those "you owe us another £30 for going overdrawn again" it's worth it tho its lookin top mate :lol:

Edited by mik3y

Making some good progress and a busy week ahead, have to get it to the pod in spring and see what the times are like. I fitted a rear arb a couple of weeks ago and although there expensive the difference is amazing and well worth it. :)

:lol: another weekend another update :lol: looked good mate , i used 5 bolts on each side of my LCR splitter to hold it on and its solid . only thing i would be worried about is using fibre glass on the bumper if your gonna be ragging hell out of it on a track if the body rolls enough round the corners you could crack it all :(

:lol: another weekend another update :lol: looked good mate , i used 5 bolts on each side of my LCR splitter to hold it on and its solid . only thing i would be worried about is using fibre glass on the bumper if your gonna be ragging hell out of it on a track if the body rolls enough round the corners you could crack it all :(

Hehe.. Indeed, I *fully expect* it to crack, but I have a cunning plan to disguise this ;) That will swing into action when I reach the 'finishing' stage of the project

More Money Spent & Delivery Arrives

Today the car went in for a much needed service. Oil & filter (oil was low), brake fluid change for dot 5.1, cambelt and tensioners changed, fuel filter change, water pump and coolant change, and a general once over. The service was due and timing belt had never been done.

I've taken it for a drive and it feels much nicer - tighter, smoother and more lively :D

Also waiting for me when I got home was:

kwv1s.jpg

:yes:

More stuff tomorrow.. (unfortunately, that means more ££ too :( )

Edited by driveforward

Wish I had that kind of monies, looks like your going to have an expensive month :lol:

You're damn right :(

That's why now is the time for me to sell the various bits I've removed! Need to clear some space too as the garage is rammed..

..and that's where people like Matt come in..

hehe i have my eye on those seats :)

You have an new PM mate - as discussed on the phone. Give me a shout now you have my number if you need to chat about things further :)

can i ask how much and where you got the sparco seats from and if you can a link as they look like what i'm after :wub:

can i ask how much and where you got the sparco seats from and if you can a link as they look like what i'm after :wub:

You can :P

They don't make them anymore, the current version of them is the 'circuit pro' which for a pair would cost over £800. These are 'circuits' and were an unused eBay special.. £407 delivered :)

Mind you, I've just spent a further £150 on mounts and runners :doh:

Edited by driveforward

id be very very interested in the wheels if your sellin fair amount of cash set aside for wheels, give me a shout if anything happens, cheers mate

I think there is a HUGE waiting list for those wheels! ;)