Arosa 1.4 16v Sport - My Trackday Project

driveforward

You can :P

They don't make them anymore, the current version of them is the 'circuit pro' which for a pair would cost over £800. These are 'circuits' and were an unused eBay special.. £407 delivered :)

Mind you, I've just spent a further £150 on mounts and runners :doh:

thats poo lol

i will only need mounts as mine are going to be fixed just for me as thats how i like it lol

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Friday 8th & Saturday 9th February - Massive Update!

Friday

A day off work allowed me to go and get my Raceland 4-2-1 manifold fitted, the catalytic converter removed and the mid-box removed.

Here's some pics from before, showing the standard manifold and exhaust system:

Manifold:

standard2.jpg

What a mess!

Exhaust System:

standard1.jpg

The work took about 3.5 hours, but the end result is this:

Manifold:

4-2-1.jpg

new3.jpg

Exhaust System:

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

Obviously, the engine now runs with minimal restriction and, you can tell! It not flies around the rev guage much more readily :) I'm not quite sure what that kink's all about though... :rolleyes:

After this, I headed to Stealth Racing to have a run on the rollers and to investigate whether there would be any merits in remapping the car. This turned out to be a bittersweet experience as I was quite impressed with the results given the BMC CDA and Exhaust mods; although it seemed the car is running lean in the mid-range, but a bit too rich at the top end. Unfortunately no serial port mapping was possible due to the ECU not being a reprogrammable Bosch unit. However, further investigation revealed that the ECU could be mapped but this would require de-soldering the chip. After a long conversation with Vince the decision was made to re-visit the possibility at a later date when I could afford to leave the car with them for a while whilst they took their time over the matter, thanks to the problematic location of a couple of small resistors on the ECU.

stealthrr.jpg

Therefore, the results of 116.6bhp power and 106.3lb ft torque stand:

Power:

rrresults1.jpg

Torque:

rrresults2.jpg

When I got home, my Sparco side mounts for the seats and the adjustable runners had arrived:

seatrunners.jpg

sidemounts1.jpg

Saturday

Today I had an appointment at m0rksport in Northampton ;) to fit my KW Variant 1 coilovers. Given there was no interior to remove in the rear, this was a relatively straighforward job, and we were probably done inside 2.5 hours. The rears are wound right down, with a road to arch distance of 58cm, whilst the fronts are set with 57.5cm from road to arch.

Work in progress: Rear's done:

inprog.jpg

The car handled great before, but now that it's on stiffer springs and much lower, to quote Mark: "there's no understeer and it's totally glued to the road".. this was during his drive to Tesco, which I believe he enjoyed very much :D Once again, thanks to Mark for his help :thumbup:

All done:

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

Tomorrow I have got to do some prep work for the cage, thin out some internal wiring, remove the passenger seat, investigate possible heat shield vibrations against exhaust and WASH MY A2!

Edited by driveforward

The Work Continues

Today I headed off to get a full wheel alignment done following the coilover fitting yesterday. Once again, I can't fault the chaps or equipment at our local chain of Chemix autocentres, the branch in Stourbridge has recently been renovated and boy have they got some trick kit.. shame I forgot my camera as this was the most sophisticated 4 wheel alignment equipment I have ever seen! (Moreso than my usual Halesowen branch and that's good)

I now have a nice bit of camber and a fraction of inward toe:

4wheelalignment.jpg

Ignore the steer-ahead, I've now adjusted the position of my steering wheel by a few notches :) Needless to say, the handling is now about as sharp as it could be! Very positive indeed.

Next up after cleaning my A2 :wub: it was time to prep for the cage install and remove some unnecessary wiring whilst things were still 'easy' to get at:

cageprep1.jpg

cageprep2.jpg

cageprep3.jpg

cageprep4.jpg

cageprep5.jpg

cageprep6.jpg

noaerial.jpg

..and for a laugh:

interior.jpg

I've now only put one front seat back in (the drivers one before some smart ass say's summit!), so, fingers crossed for next weekend as it's gonna be a busy one :)

Edited by driveforward

Are you leaving the 3rd brake light out permanently? Considering you're going to be tracking the car, would it not be a good idea to give everyone as much indication as possible that you're braking? Especially considering you'll inevitably get a degree of mixed ability on track at once.

Are you leaving the 3rd brake light out permanently? Considering you're going to be tracking the car, would it not be a good idea to give everyone as much indication as possible that you're braking? Especially considering you'll inevitably get a degree of mixed ability on track at once.

Nope, it will be going back in.. first it either needs repairing or replacing as the previous owner obviously tried to prise it out to change a bulb rather than simply unscrew it :wacko:

Then once they had got it out, rather than unclip the lens to get at the bulbs, they cut it open with a dremel or similar - sticking it back together once done :angry::blink:

Edited by driveforward

From Road Car to Track Toy in One Massive Weekend

This weekend was always going be a big effort, but the outcome would see lots of preparation and parts collection all come together.. and come together things have!

At 4:15 on Saturday morning I headed down to Kent and SCN's Stu's workplace in order to get the rollcage fitted.. We started work at about 8:00 and worked solid through to past 21:00 on the evening :wacko: This allowed us to get the cage in for a trial fit, remove it, sort the mounting plates out and also sort out the seat mounts. The cage then went back in for it's final fitting. Sunday started at 8:15 (I was late, thanks to lots of frost and something I just had to take a pic of in the hotel car park - see my post in the general section!), and saw the fitting of door bars, finishing the rear turret mounts and the final fitment of the seat runners, side mounts, seats and harnesses.

There were a fair few fires along the way as the underseal caught alight, but none more spectacular than the one in a rear wheel arch where the CO2 extinguisher ran out, the powder extinguisher covered the arch, floor and me win horrid stuff that tasted bloody vile (!), but still ended up needing a damp rag and jacking the car up to properly control it!

Big thanks go to Stu for doing prep work on the cage after I had it delivered to him, helping get it into the car and then for all of the superb fabrication and welding that he's done :thumbup: Also thanks to Stu for dedicating his weekend to this work, and to his employer who provided the workshop and tools with which to get the job done.

Here's what you're waiting for, the pics!

Trial fitment:

trial1.jpg

trial2.jpg

"What the hell are we doing to this car!?"

Fitting:

fitting1.jpg

fitting2.jpg

Stu behind bars "How the **** am I gonna get out!?"

Seat Mounts:

seatmounts1.jpg

seatmounts2.jpg

seatmounts3.jpg

Finished:

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished5.jpg

finished6.jpg

I think you'll agree that the cage/seats look just the job, and being fixed into the car by the buckets and harnesses means that as a driver you can now feel everything that the car's doing. A top weekends work, that's really moved this project forward.. makes my deadline seem achievable!

Edited by driveforward

i can see you having the same problem as Adam ( ramierez ) as in when the doors closed its a bitch to get the lights turned on and use the wiper stalk :lol: