driveforward

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weatherproofing!

Today's main tasks were to get the cage painted and to apply fresh underseal to the car where the cage mounts have been welded to the floor and rear wheel arch - (as the underseal was burnt off). The cage needed spraying asap given some of the weld were already showing signs of rust build up.

Therefore, armed with 2 cans of Hammerite silver spray stuff, I removed the seats and harnesses (a ******* of a job), masked off various bits with newspaper and begun spraying. The end result, and nice silver cage :)

cagepaint1.jpg

cagepaint2.jpg

cagepaint3.jpg

It now looks even better, but there are a few areas that will need re-touching and more paint applying.. I'll do this at a later stage when I've enlarged the rear wheel well (including respraying the roof to hide the glue marks, and the floor to hide the tar, wax and other crap). The main thing is, it's now protected and only another perfectionist like me will notice the bits that need more attention!

Next up I jacked up the car (..again) and ground off the long bolts that were used for the cage base plates and the rear ARB mounts. Then I cracked open a fresh tin of black, oily, brush killing underseal and slapped this over the effected areas. Job done :)

Then I had to put the seats back in (******* ******* of a job) and do up the harnesses.

Tomorrow, I'm fitting my in-dash cupholder unit - very racy :yes: and taking the rest of the day off!

I also have a new set of rear light clusters (thanks CL's tiernz) given I melted one of the original ones trying to rid them of condensation - which is still there in the one, so I've given up and bought a new set. Also, I now have my new high level third brakelight given the previous owners didn't notice the screws and tried to replace a bulb by prising it out, then if they wern't special enough, rather than simply unclipping the lens from the unit to get inside and change a bulb, they used a dremel to cut the thing in half and then loctite-ed the lot back together. Nice.

I also need the services of a photoshop expert, get in touch if you are such a genius )

Edited by driveforward

i can photoshop. and also just so you know ian, them rear lights came off my car :P

oh and thanks for the inteiror :)

Haha.. small world eh :P Our cars have a fair bit in common now then!

Glad you like the interior, it certainly looked much much better!

Photoshop: I may be in touch later this week ;)

Edited by driveforward

More Deliveries!

Just a mini update today as I'm saving this weekend's stuff for a major update tomorrow ;)

This week I have received the following bits:

• 3m Silicone Ducting
  • Lambda Sensor Adaptors (will they make the light go out!?)
  • 15x6" G60 Steel Wheel
  • Cargo Net ;)
  • More paint :(
  • Some LED's (cheers Dan!)

Today I have been sanding, painting, grinding, painting and had a visit from Dan; tomorrow I will be doing some of those things again..

Stay tuned folks, this show's almost ready for the road :D

"Just Like That" - Interior Done

..if only! This weekend my main focus has been on getting as near as possible to completing the interior, and bar a few accessories ;) this is now the case!

Saturday started out like the one before - removing the seats and masking off all the bits I didn't want to paint. First off, I sanded the remainder of the black glue stuff from the roof before painting the roof, and touching up the rest of the cage. Then, for the second time in this project, Dan turned up bringing goodies and to lend a hand with some grinding :P

My house was beginning to look like UltimateDubs come early..:

snap.jpg

Not in the pic, my Arosa and a SEAT LC 20VT

I need to carry a full size spare wheel, so, as this car's never going to take rear passengers again, a little more weight loss was required:

nomorerearseats.jpg

wheelwell.jpg

..and then, with a lick of paint:

painting.jpg

With that and some more painting of the floorpan done, our attention turned to another essential item: interior lighting. For a while now, I've been battling with doing up 6-point harnesses in the dark, this is to be no more. Even a track slag deserves some bling, so out came the LED strips!

lights1.jpg

lights2.jpg

lights3.jpg

lights4.jpg

Very pimp :P

As you can tell, that was about it for Saturday! On Sunday, I set about tidying up the remains of the internal wiring loom, and then the long and tedious task of using cellulose thinners on all the windows and bits of plastic that had been effected by overspray :( The exterior paintwork is bad too, so I can predict a bit of clay-bar action next weekend :( Anyway, it was a job that needed doing and I took the opportunity to fit my spangly cargo net :) :

tidy.jpg

Then, after cleaning everything up, the seats went back in and they're now STAYING IN!

interiorfitted1.jpg

interiorfitted2.jpg

interiorfitted3.jpg

Next up, I fitted my lambda sensor adaptor which may/may not result in my emission light going out, we'll see:

lambda.jpg

Then, I fitted my expensive silicone brake ducting from my front bumper intake scoops:

left.jpg

right.jpg

As you can see, due to the belts on the right side of the engine bay, that was a tricky fit!

Finally, I gave the car a quick pressure wash and took a few snaps:

exterior1.jpg

exterior2.jpg

Next week I'll be concentrating on the exterior, and hopefully my new brake pads will be here :)

Nearly done folks..!

Edited by driveforward

Cheers guys :)

Dash and console are staying - remember, I need some comfort given I'll be driving it over to Germany and back!

and you dash is trapped in by your cage too so best leave it lol

your airbag is 2.1 kg so get that out the dash it will be a slag to do but hey ho

and you dash is trapped in by your cage too so best leave it lol

your airbag is 2.1 kg so get that out the dash it will be a slag to do but hey ho

Lol.. good point ;)

After Easter, if you can get the airbag out from under the dash then I'll give it a go, otherwise consider it 'weight distribution' when there's only me in the car! :wacko:

wow!! i wish i could do that! it looks awesome!!

where do you get the led's from ...... i secretly love them! :wub:

whats planned to happen next? ........ you need to get those wheels sorted! lol

Lol.. good point ;)

After Easter, if you can get the airbag out from under the dash then I'll give it a go, otherwise consider it 'weight distribution' when there's only me in the car! :wacko:

i will have ago i will bob it back in with the heater matrix and see if it can be done for ya ;)

wow!! i wish i could do that! it looks awesome!!

where do you get the led's from ...... i secretly love them! :wub:

whats planned to happen next? ........ you need to get those wheels sorted! lol

Cheers mate, the LED's were an eBay special from Hong Kong I believe!

Next up is finishing the exterior ;)

i will have ago i will bob it back in with the heater matrix and see if it can be done for ya ;)

That'd be great, if you can get the airbag out I'll deffo have a go!

You wont be driving with that leds's on will you??

Your making fast progress!

Lol.. no! I do have a switch to turn them on manually if I need them though!

Very fast = very expensive! :):(

Looks like a really good project, the gains from that RR seemed promising too.

Thanks mate, yeah, pretty good for just manifold/exhaust and CDA!

are you going to be doing anymore this weekend??

..that goes without saying!

Watch this space!