Any Lupo/Arosa TDI owners using Bio-diesel?

Just filled up my first lot of biodiesel into my Arosa!

Using a 50% mixture at the moment and cheaper!

Tescos is 99.9p a litre (basically £1 a litre :angry: ) but biodiesel is only a flat 92p a litre :lol:

Will post up a review of how it runs on my re-map'd Arosa and also MPG figures compared to straight normal diesel. :shades:

I live in Berkshire, and a local firm called 'enfuels' produces it. Its in 'Thatcham'.

Just as a first heads up, spoke to mates who get it for 82p a litre, but thats in large kegs, pump it yourself.

This company has a full proper pump and is 100% biodiesel and quality controlled. Just drive up like a normal petrol pump, fill your car with however much you want. Then pay the chap. He's VAT registered so gives reciepts for those who claim mileage with work. I know he's more expensive than other suppliers, but its local and he showed me all his equipment and i know its good stuff as the council use their buses with him.

Differences I hear you ask????

With 50% mixture here's my review so far:

So far I can notice the difference:

1) Smell: It smells like a dodgey fun fair van selling chips/burgers and a cross with doughnuts. Smells nice actually

2) Start up: With 50% mixture tonight I noticed a 'very' slight slowly start up. Usually my car starts on the turn of the key without waiting for the glow light, now there's a 1/4 sec delay before start up. Not really noticeable to be honest as starts instantly, however the higher percentage biodiesel you use the harder it is to start in cold weather.

3) My car on start up/cold engine doesn't appear as 'tappity' as it used to.

No performance differences really, same old same.

Just going to see how my MPG does now.

Might go for 60% on my next fill up and take it slowly to see the differences in MPG, as i read a full review that said 100% gave not too much differences over 75% apart from cost. 50% is recommended most places for start up and long term.

Recommended is to change the fuel filter after a few tanks, as the biodiesel actually cleans the tank/fuel lines so bits/gunk can be dislodged from the fuel lines and clog the filter.

Motorway run tomorrow will give me more indication on usage :)

Edited by g-man85

where as petrol here is 93.9 :lol:

But use derv's get more MPG and have more power :shades:

Everyone keeps telling me about buying veg oil.

But it still needs to be processed to be run in the car apparently, as i was shown the byproduct is glyercin which looked nasty and don't fancy it being gunked up in my engine :blink:

where as petrol here is 93.9 :lol:

Im not sure how much petrol is here, 92.9 maybe, for ages it was the same price as diesel though, it might even be the same now.

I usually always use my local shell garage if i can, so i rarely look at the price, it dont matter how much it is i still need to fill the car up :lol:

Its nice to have a car that does good MPG in these times of high fuel prices, although i still moan when i get 55mpg, but i suppose compared to most cars thats still really good :D Been averaging 56-58MPG lately, so not bad :P

But use derv's get more MPG and have more power :shades:

Everyone keeps telling me about buying veg oil.

But it still needs to be processed to be run in the car apparently, as i was shown the byproduct is glyercin which looked nasty and don't fancy it being gunked up in my engine :blink:

I once saw someone pouring about 4 bottles of cooking oil into his izuzu thingy 4x4 in tescos carpark, right opposite the fuel garage too. So cars must be able to run on it, but i wouldnt like to think what it does to the car.

Maybe in a big old thing like that its ok, but modern engines, such as our 1.4 TDi, run a very high compression ratio dont they, so im not sure it would do it much good at all :huh:

So best stick to the bio-diesel, ive no idea where does that round here mind.

I get on average 55mpg, and thats not pottering about either.

You can use veg oil apparently. but on newer dervs some places recommend to mix with diesel to thin it out a bit.

Personally stick with Biodiesel that has been certified for own engine.

I'd try veg oil on something like a bog standard Polo 1.9D with no turbo, which i did consider at one point to use as my work car and get something cool as a 2nd car for weekends.

Its mainly due to the glyercine/glycerol which is the by product. Apparently if not warm enough it can ruin your fuel pump and not good for the engine because its thicker.

Biodiesel gets rid of the glycerol which makes it easier to run and means you don't have that sludge/gunk which the chap in the company was happy to show me how bad and thick the stuff is, which is why Biodiesel is a lot better to run on your car.

To run a car on chip fat you generally need a tank warmer. Most kits recommend starting up using normal diesel then when the engine is warm enough, switch over to veg oil. It stops the fuel pumps getting clogged from cold veg oil.

:o

Thats not nice, I don't want my engine to end up looking like that.

Last time I went to Tesco the guy in front of me was buying 12 x 2L bottles of veg oil, I bet they went straight in his 4x4 :lol:

Edited by jon_273

A friend just got these pics today of an engine which has been run exclusively on chip fat for the past few months - not nice!

111020071511.jpg

111020071521.jpg

:o Christ! thats bad, not seen anything like that before.

I think ill stick to diesel, no matter how expensive it gets ;)

It could do with a bit of an engine flush :lol:

Im suprised it got that bad before it stopped tbh, if it did stop :huh:

Used or new chip fat?

It reminds me of that red merc from fifth gear :lol: , aparently its still going though.

I stuck some in my sdi made no difference but I did put some more normal fuel in with it.

Yea that proberly been running on jsut pure oil and not mixed.

Those pics go to prove that everyone who keeps telling me 'just use veggie oil' from work/mates don't realise the damage it can do if not done properly!

I love me engine, and wouldn't wanna risk anything! Rather pay the premium for bio derv!

Cheaper diesel does sound appealing, if it warrents as good a fuel as diesel.

I get jealous when my boyfriend fills his car up with lpg. Although I'm not envious of the stench of rotton cabbage it creates.

I think I'd be more pissed off if I had a petrol fueled car, as its verging on the same prices as diesel now anyroad. Atleast with the dirty fuel you get more for you pennies.

I would never try veg/chip oil in my car, purely coz it sounds more bother than its worth thinning it down. And I don't want to smell like Tracy they spotty chav who works in the chippy everytime I go for a drive.

Tesco sells diesel here for 93p per litre, while shell is 95p. Plus Im a granny and like getting my points.

Cheaper diesel does sound appealing, if it warrents as good a fuel as diesel.

I get jealous when my boyfriend fills his car up with lpg. Although I'm not envious of the stench of rotton cabbage it creates.

I think I'd be more pissed off if I had a petrol fueled car, as its verging on the same prices as diesel now anyroad. Atleast with the dirty fuel you get more for you pennies.

I would never try veg/chip oil in my car, purely coz it sounds more bother than its worth thinning it down. And I don't want to smell like Tracy they spotty chav who works in the chippy everytime I go for a drive.

Tesco sells diesel here for 93p per litre, while shell is 95p. Plus Im a granny and like getting my points.

:o dont buy tesco fuel!

You might as well buy chip fat imo, i only ever use shell or BP.

I used to use tesco fuel in my ax, i found that i got more fuel since it was cheaper at the time, but it didnt go as far on the the ammount. So since i got my arosa ive always used shell or bp.

They are the same price up here anyway, and i like to get my shell points ;)

Ive not really found a problem with tesco's tbh?

I now and again put Shell in, but its not on my usual route.

I know my mums old mazda splutterd with Tescos fuel, but that was a strange car.

We don't even have a BP round here so thats that out of the window lol.

Thing is I drive like a fuel conservationist anyway, so I don't notice any sudden loss in mpg.

vw don't recommend using bio diesel or chip fat fuel at all in any pd derived diesel which will also void warranties and for the cost of a new engine ,injectors and fitting i wouldn't trust it in the long run

My manual mentions even tells you all about using biodiesel and what percentage is recommended and what 'grade' to use.

My manual mentions even tells you all about using biodiesel and what percentage is recommended and what 'grade' to use.

So does the Arosa manual - if you have a diesel, you can use Biodiesel.

Mind you, if you have a petrol engine, you can use 91ron fuel (with reduced output) :lol:

So does the Arosa manual - if you have a diesel, you can use Biodiesel.

Mind you, if you have a petrol engine, you can use 91ron fuel (with reduced output) :lol:

Yep! My Mk2 Arosa manaual says it can - hope its right the manual cost me £9 to buy :blush:

And same with my manual; reduced output/mpg using biodiesel.

So if biodiesel smells like chips/dougnuts, you may aswell buy a big bottle of cooking oil on your weekly shop. Who can proove you diddnt buy it from a garage ?

Usually the fact that it costs double or more, and the fact that sunflower oil will cause engine problems, where rapeseed oil fuels wont.

My lupo smelt like popcorn when i ran it on biodiesel.

Edited by nfbr