Your GTi bhp's please

stevie_wonder

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent tried to go into 3 figures in my gti.

i would be very suprised if you could really get the speed you mentioned. it may have been on a slight downhill aswell. and with a strong tail wind. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i could probably go through a long list of car stats to confirm it, here is just 1 example, a 170bhp cooper s tops out at 138mph. it would need a lot more bhp to get to 142mph.

edit: in fact to make the point the jcw cooper s has 210bhp at that tops at 143mph. so as i said before you need about 200bhp to get to 142mph.

Edited by qually

it is if you are bouncing off the rev limiter in top gear.

to confirm the 142mph speed you could look at what RPM your doing and calculate through the gear ratio/wheel size what speed you were doing as a back up. though there is still the issue of was it on the flat or not.

Edited by qually

I've had both a 106gti and a Lupo GTi and I can't believe you're friend's car is that much faster than yours - maybe it's just that he drives like a dick and pushes his car to the limit all the time - not big and certainly not clever.

Tell him that only chavvy little boy racers drive 106gti's (I can say that cause I had one!!) and those that drive like pillocks do so because they're lacking in other departments!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

An indicated 120 in a stock Gti should be p*ss easy. Rev it out in lower gears, and you'll fly up to that speed in no time.

An indicated 130 is also possible in a stock Gti... it just takes a little patience. Wind resistance and power start becoming equal and opposites... So with a stock motor, you wont ever get it to rev out in 6th gear - the motor will just stop pulling, as it's not powerful enough to combat the resistance.

In reality, an indicated 130 isn't that at all, and it's unlikely that you'll pull the speedo needle past the 140 mark without serious mods. However, a tuned motor running a stock 6 speed box, should see it bouncing off the limiter. A little slipstreaming (if you can keep up with the right candidate) will always come in handy wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Failing that, take off the rear spoiler, and cover the gaping hole in the front bumper, and you'll see your top end speed creeping up a lot quicker smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

had 155bhp with schrick cams de cat and bmc. and as dubja says it will quite happily turn 140. Had 142 in 6th on the limiter. there is a picture on the forum some where. Was on a public road too!! lol

ok 142mph is 7000rpm bouncing off the limter, this is confirmed by rpm/gear ratio/tyre diameter.

but i dont believe this can been done on a perfectly level road. if anyone will be trying it again can they try and do it in both directions on the same stretch of road.

if its right i'm pretty impressesd at the aero.

but with these mods gtigee "manifold, de-cat system, bmc mega core leads and plugs and i got 142mph on the road angel" i doubt you were bouncing off the limiter in top gear. as you would have already said. or you were caning it down a super hill lol.

my gti only has a pipercross induction kit probebly an extra 2bhp so call it 125hp.

i would like more but searching around for it online is really difficult!

Edited by 2001gti

Number one - RR's are not 100% accurate. The flywheel figure is always an estimate based on estimated drive train losses as a result of the figure at the wheels.

Number two - RR's provide a good comparison when comparing one car to another providing they were RR'd on the same RR, on the same day, under the same conditions.

Number three - Some RR's are known to produce higher bhp figures than others. Figures from Stealth always seem to be marginally higher than anywhere else, for example.

Number four - different wheels & tyres will effect the performance of any car. A smaller circumference will mean a car travels a shorter distance for each revolution of the wheel. The engine is therefore doing the same amount of work to cover a shorter distance. Even the air pressure in your tyres will effect the rolling radius of the wheel (& thus the circumference).

Number five - All cars will produce slightly different performance just down to the basics of each part being different. For example, if one batch of cams are slightly better than another, then the cars with the better cams will undoubtedly perform better.

Number six - The book figure for the GTI was 125ps. 1ps = 0.9864bhp.

As for my GTI, RR'd a few months after I got her, completely standard - 130.8bhp, 118lbft torque. I have since changed my air filter for a K&N panel filter.

i agree with GTiGee i've been in his car briefly once and his GTi seemed a lot quicker and faster than mine and that was before the decat!!! his GTi seems like a bolt of lightenin next to mine well enough said cause' my GTi ain't even running properly its misfiring angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> so G you think you can get a hold of some cambridge lights for me??

cheers G and i've got bad news my back end was hit while i was parked in Glasgow i'm gettin it fixed tho thats why i've not been about much il need to come another run and see how quick that little loop of yours really is then you can prove how fast it really is mate shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> oh i'm gettin my car de-catted and getting my manifold and filter next friday so hopefully my car wont be that slow anymore gonna get it rolling road tested next month and update the power on this post

end of the day though does it really matter what speed you can get??

Exactly, someone with a brain has posted, thanks andy smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

end of the day though does it really matter what speed you can get??

Of course. If your GTi doesn't pull in top gear, and ultimately rev out for maximum speed, then why run a GTi in the first place? Your 1.0l Motor will happily run at 70, if that's all you want. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

He with brain, continues the argument wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Exactly, someone with a brain has posted, thanks andy smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

*Cough* I have already posted. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />