How much does a MOT cost now adays?

VWR Lupo

I paid £89 for an annual service and MOT. Pretty standard deal up here, filters, plugs etc cost extra if needed.

Ray

£50.30

Thanks mate, that is a rip off now tho isnt it!

I paid £89 for an annual service and MOT. Pretty standard deal up here, filters, plugs etc cost extra if needed.

Ray

Thats a good price for all that i have to say!

Hmm, £165 i just paid for 12 months road tax!! huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

£110 for a year for my 1.4 sport!

1.6 and over is £165.

Pays to have a small engine cars now a days!

1.6 and over is £165.

Pays to have a small engine cars now a days!

As we're talking about road tax; the 1.7 diesel is £35 a year wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> And gives me 65-80mpg smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

MoT prices though seem to vary depending where you go, although there is an upper limit and I believe £50.30 is the maximum that can be charged.

Well, i'll have you know i just got 48mpg to my last tank and could have got 50 had i not had some unfortunate moments in traffic. Although it was a test and i shall never be doing it again, i enjoy driving it too much.

As we're talking about road tax; the 1.7 diesel is £35 a year wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

How come that is so cheap matey?

oops sorry, seems ive sparked a whole new convo tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

my MOT was £49.00, they even put some dead flies on my carpet for me! nice of them coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Its gone up, well for my arosa sport anyway.. was £140 a year or £77 for 6months...

Same as my mums mini cooper 1.6!

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

How come that is so cheap matey?

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> The CO2 emissions are just 119g/km so it enters the >120g/km category, which was reduced from £50/year to £35/year at the recent budget.

As for MoTs, my Lupo's test is due in July, but I put the 306 through one last October and paid £28. At a main dealer, I'd imagine the price would be higher.

Also, it probably depends on local competition. That is to say, if there are a lot of garages in your area with MoT trained technicians, the price would probably be cheaper as they compete for business. Whereas garages in rural areas could potentially charge more. However, the maximum of £50.30 is there to make sure there is an upper limit.

Interestingly, if you suspect the MoT testing garage to be quoting for work that isn't required, you can take your car to a local council testing facility. Usually, they MoT public service vehicles (such as buses) but because they don't carry out repairs, they will just give you an MoT test, or inform you why the vehicle didn't pass; allowing you to go elsewhere and have the work carried out. The details of your nearest testing facility can be obtained from your local council.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />