Hint at return of the lupo

Petes 16V Sport

In a recent autocar article:

Piech told Brauschweiger Zeitung, “as I relinquished the chairmanship of Volkswagen I gave my successor (Pischetsreider) the job of further developing the 1.0-litre car (Piech’s name for the research vehicle) and the Lupo 3L. Both were stopped. But we will resurrect them.”

Now hes back on the supervisory board (and the head of it) it looks like the lupo might be making a return in super economical form. I can't help thinking its a bad move for VW, but I think if it retained lupo values and looks, I wouldn't mind buying another one!

(the 1.0litre car means 1.0l of petrol to 100km btw)

VW are really pushing the boundries at the min aren't they. Making super fast cars like the Veyron, super quite and luxrious cars like the Phaeton and super economical cars like the 1.0litre/3L.

didnt vauxhal make a super economical version of the older type astra? i think it used the 1.7 diesel engine and could do around 70mpg

The technology that VW developed for the Lupo 3L has now been applied to the Polo in a model called the Bluemotion. This time the UK is getting the car, although the Lupo looked cooler!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6421961.stm

VW are also making a Touraeg "BlueMotion", but it is only going to be available in the US at the moment.

US + Economical = BULLSHIT

Can't see it ever selling.

NOCK

The technology that VW developed for the Lupo 3L has now been applied to the Polo in a model called the Bluemotion. This time the UK is getting the car, although the Lupo looked cooler!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6421961.stm

The blue motion hardly utilises all of the technology used by the Lupo 3L, there is no DSG gearbox for further economy, and no titanium suspension, aluminium/(magnesium I think?) body parts. Nor the Engine built for economy (a 1.2TDI). All the polo bluemotion does is take a 1.4 TDI polo, streamline it a little, reduce weight by removing unecessary stuff (like the soundproofing is thinner, lighter alloys etc) , make the gearing longer, and fit a different turbo.

Of course this will make the Polo bluemotion more profitable for VW. Which is what they really want. As they will probably charge more than for a 1.4 TDI, but it has less equipment. The volumes its selling at in Europe suggest the economies of scale won't be a problem either!

This is why i'm not sure whether Id like the comment if I was in charge of VW, VW are currently in the process of switching from low profit/no profit projects which make VW look good - look at veyron for example to a more sensible business plan of affordable quality cars e.g the fox. Now Piech has power once more I fear that this could change, and then the company will not look so rosy.

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

the carbon/magnesium/ alloy 1.0 concept is pretty amazing. would be fantastic for them to commercialize it for production. the 299cc, naturally-aspirated one-cylinder diesel engine is certainly not something i would drive though. if they did a petrol version it would tick all the boxes. it would be a tragedy if they didnt produce a gti version for the sports market, a 998cc bike engine would do nicely.

• 7 months later...
The blue motion hardly utilises all of the technology used by the Lupo 3L, there is no DSG gearbox for further economy, and no titanium suspension, aluminium/(magnesium I think?) body parts. Nor the Engine built for economy (a 1.2TDI). All the polo bluemotion does is take a 1.4 TDI polo, streamline it a little, reduce weight by removing unecessary stuff (like the soundproofing is thinner, lighter alloys etc) , make the gearing longer, and fit a different turbo.

Of course this will make the Polo bluemotion more profitable for VW. Which is what they really want. As they will probably charge more than for a 1.4 TDI, but it has less equipment. The volumes its selling at in Europe suggest the economies of scale won't be a problem either!

This is why i'm not sure whether Id like the comment if I was in charge of VW, VW are currently in the process of switching from low profit/no profit projects which make VW look good - look at veyron for example to a more sensible business plan of affordable quality cars e.g the fox. Now Piech has power once more I fear that this could change, and then the company will not look so rosy.

There's no DSG gearbox on the Lupo 3L, just a lightened manual gearbox which is automated. No titanium suspension either.

RAB