Well that was a big waste of time then

Putney

Who Voted Labour?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That's a really shallow comment and you should be ashamed of yourself to be honest!

people who have kids are the selfish ones. if they just stopped and let the human race die out gracefully then we wouldn't have to worry about the predicament of the world imploding on itself rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the easiest way for them to get us to use public transport and to fund public transport is to tax cars and use the tax to fund the public transport.

ok fair enough but we already get stung on car tax and fuel prices so why should we be taxed yet again???

whats next a tax on the F**KING Air We Breathe??

people who have kids are the selfish ones. if they just stopped and let the human race die out gracefully then we wouldn't have to worry about the predicament of the world imploding on itself rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Ever thought about seeing a psychiatrist?

...No, really, you should.

NOCK

Edited by LUPO NOCK

Ive not read all of this post but i totally disagree with the road charging, as does most people.

Im a student and drive 60 miles at least a day on duel carriageways and often at peak times of the day, i dont want to be paying more and why should anyone pay more? its so stupid imo.

When it does come in i bet the road conditions wont improve, some of the roads round here are really bumpy and worn but nothing will get done, its just a way for the government to get more money. And if it does improve public transport, what do I care, I never use public transport, why would i when a car is so much more convenient.

Even if it is to help the environment, it will never work, they think that it will stop us using our cars as much, but it wont, we all have to get to work etc and modern cars are very clean running anyway. And really i dont plan on being here in 100 years time so even if the earth does warm drastically and places flood, i wont be around to see it. Selfish i know but its really annoying me why should anyone pay more to drive their car, its just madness as its alreadt too expensive.

Chris

Edited by cardaft

ok fair enough but we already get stung on car tax and fuel prices so why should we be taxed yet again???

whats next a tax on the F**KING Air We Breathe??

The new road tax is in place of the tax on fuel. So the governement will then be without the 70% tax they make everytime you fill up. So instead your being taxed in a different way, a way in which places that have better public should cost more to drive to, but more remote places will be cheaper. This should in theory make people who drive in areas with public transport, think again and perhaps use the public transport instead of the car. Using the tax made from the people who still drive to pay for improving the public transport. I`m not saying it will work, but Its not a terrible idea.

The new road tax is in place of the tax on fuel. So the governement will then be without the 70% tax they make everytime you fill up. So instead your being taxed in a different way, a way in which places that have better public should cost more to drive to, but more remote places will be cheaper. This should in theory make people who drive in areas with public transport, think again and perhaps use the public transport instead of the car. Using the tax made from the people who still drive to pay for improving the public transport. I`m not saying it will work, but Its not a terrible idea.

I'm sorry but if you think they will do away with the tax on fuel then you are naive its to much of a money maker and they dont have to lift a finger whereas this they have to spend money to get the money back in

I'm sorry but if you think they will do away with the tax on fuel then you are naive its to much of a money maker and they dont have to lift a finger whereas this they have to spend money to get the money back in

It is to replace fuel tax, thats why the governement are so annoyed. This guy who did the petition claimed it was not a direct swap, as well as saying a few other things which were not true. It will cost some people more, but it will be in areas where people will have access to public transport, it will be used to encourage them. They will also make more money increasing road tax, year on year, with the top polluters having to shell out far more than they are just now.

like hell is this money grabbing greedy ass government going to not tax the fuel as it would be seen as un-environmentally friendly and they would lose easy money oh and i doubt very much if they will have to pay it themselves for turning up in 4.0litre jags in the middle of london no it will be us.

Edited by Mr P

was chattin about this with my mates earlier. we wernt sure of all the facts but we decided:-

a.) we aint paying £200 for a box so they can tell where we've been and charge us for it. even if we wanted, none of us have a spare £200

b.) we aint paying per mile. there will be ways round it

c.) its a joke how they just ignore that petition, i dont think ill ever "grow up and become a law fearing abiding citizen" with things going like that (i didnt know the petition was lying to be fair, but i still feel the same way)

Edited by Arun

ok, so why can't we have a petition that has the correct facts in it and we all sign it again?

even with the correct facts i guarantee that a million people would still be against it.

Can you point me to where I can read the official government document that says they're going to abolish fuel tax?

it's over there sitting beside those magic beans and a bottle of fairy dust wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Can you point me to where I can read the official government document that says they're going to abolish fuel tax?

I can`t no, but thats because its not been written yet, its due for final discussion on Tuesday. I heard a Labour politition talking about it on newsnight last week and it was written in the Sunday Post (scotland) last weekend, but no conclusive proof no.

Don`t get me wrong, I`m not working for them, I`ve been playing devils advocate a little, but if they do abolish fuel tax and go for this then I think I would be better off financially due to driving a small car at off peak hours on country lanes, but I`m in the minority I`m sure.

If they don`t abolish fuel tax, their will be riots I`m sure as it is tax on tax.

I live 12 miles away from work.

In the car I can either take the motorway (too busy to get to the slip road so I dont bother) or take one of three unlit country lanes.

I start work at 8:30am and finish at 4:30pm, not by choice by the way.

By public transport I would have to :

Catch a bus from Maltby to Rotherham (45 mins - 1 hour.) as there is not a direct bus!

Catch a bus from Rotherham to Doncaster (45 mins - 1 hour.)

Get taxi (£8) or walk (30 mins) down to the industrial estate I work on.

I struggle to make ends meet some months because of the massive child care costs, just so the pair of us can work.

We canty change our working hours because we have to work around the child care.

Global warming my ass.

There is no evedance to suggest we are doing any harm.

When there is, then I'll accept it.

Also may I note that if the Goverment didn't kill off our Mine, I would be able to walk to work.

I live 12 miles away from work.

In the car I can either take the motorway (too busy to get to the slip road so I dont bother) or take one of three unlit country lanes.

I start work at 8:30am and finish at 4:30pm, not by choice by the way.

By public transport I would have to :

Catch a bus from Maltby to Rotherham (45 mins - 1 hour.) as there is not a direct bus!

Catch a bus from Rotherham to Doncaster (45 mins - 1 hour.)

Get taxi (£8) or walk (30 mins) down to the industrial estate I work on.

I struggle to make ends meet some months because of the massive child care costs, just so the pair of us can work.

We canty change our working hours because we have to work around the child care.

Global warming my ass.

There is no evedance to suggest we are doing any harm.

When there is, then I'll accept it.

Also may I note that if the Goverment didn't kill off our Mine, I would be able to walk to work.

I'm in the same situation where i work to keep my kids in childcare. Luckily my parents help out a bit as they are both retired, but we can`t afford to give them cash for helping. I start at 6:30 am and finish at 2:30pm so that I can look after the kids as much as possible, as it costs less.

Of course public transport is currently a mess, nobody will argue with that. Also public transport will never satisfy everyone, no matter how good it is. But there are many cases where it would work and get people out of cars and onto mass transit, but as we have already said this needs funding and significant improving.

I have to disagree about proof that we are doing harm. I think you must have missed the front page news two weeks ago where 60 of the best scientists in the world finally agread that it was man that was causing the destruction of the ozone and increasing world temperatures. They gave the world 100 yers to get it right or there will be no way of repairing the damage the last 3 generations have done. To say there is no proof, is no longer an arguement.

I dont care what these guessers have said.

The only one I believe is the lab in this country that has been measureing the ice caps for the past 40 years.

He has stated there is no change.

This of course did not make the news.

I'll tell you what I think about the O-Zone.

The 'O-Zone' is created by the megnatic field created in the Earths core.

Every few million years the magnetic field slows down then switches.

So the North pole becomes the South pole.

While this is happening the Earth warms as the field slows down and is not as strong.

Strange how they dont mention that eh?

Personally, I don't mind this road charging scheme I just object to being tracked in my car... however of course this is already possible through my mobile phone so really i'm probably worrying about nothing.

I really think that for a lot of people this system may end up being cheaper and help to unblock our roads, as the most congested routes will be the most expensive ones, It definately could work, and I think its a good idea. However I think the funds raised should be used to improve roads at congestion hot spots - more routes with lower charges around the congestion hot spot etc... public transport should also be improved, but should also be a lot more efficient and accountable to government agencies than it currently is.

If you think that petrol without fuel tax would be around 25.5p a litre provided the oil companies didn't try push up their margins (which I don't think they could due to tesco producing its own fuel, using a chemicals company as its supplier) then on every litre your saving around 60p/50p.

A litre of petrol in a lupo sport for example will get me around 9 miles (average) so if I used a 6p a mile route it would be roughly similar. The road taxation system would have to be up to 20p a mile and go as low as free routes. If they charge £1.30 a mile i'm joining Dubweiser lol...

It could work, but it needs the right guidance and shouldnt be used as a stealth tax.

Pete

I get 200 miles to 40 litres of fuel.

Shell Optilop (or what ever its called these days) costs £92 a litre.

That works out at 18p a mile in fuel.

But TBH the price is not my problem with it.

I dont want them watching my every move.

I dont vote because I dont want them selling my information on to the junk mailers.

If I vist Tesco once a week, will I then get letters through my door from Asda?

But TBH the price is not my problem with it.

I dont want them watching my every move.

I dont vote because I dont want them selling my information on to the junk mailers.

If I vist Tesco once a week, will I then get letters through my door from Asda?

Agreed, thats my problem with it too, i'd prefer cameras placed when entering zones al a london, then they could check for tax and insurance 2 smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The 'O-Zone' is created by the magnetic field created in the Earths core.

Every few million years the magnetic field slows down then switches.

So the North pole becomes the South pole.

While this is happening the Earth warms as the field slows down and is not as strong.

**** me Tigz that was deep! lol

Not a bad theorem either to be honest

Only floor I can see in it, is that the O-zone is a gas (well mixture of gases) and to say that these gases are magnetic would take some proving because I would expect that they aren't. If you can prove other wise though I am all ears.

NOCK

27.87/5 = 5.6p a mile on fuel if they scrapped petrol tax.

Id be intrested to know how much extra they will chrage me for going to work though.

Also how much the box will cost - fitted!

How much to maintain it.

How much will it cost us to be able to pay them.

We go to war to make sure we have a good steady supply of oil and they we wont be able to afford to use it all up.

What a waste of time that was wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I can.

Just need to find it on-line.

I watched it on National Geographic a couple of months ago.

Okay cool, post the link when you get please I am very interested in reading it.

NOCK

Edited by LUPO NOCK

Couple of links.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archiv...earth-core.html

In fact, for at least the last 160 million years, as known from evidence preserved in the geological record, Earth's magnetic field has often reversed polarity. The story is told by tiny magnetic domains in layered basalts on land and on the spreading ocean floors, frozen in different orientations.

Core spin isn't implicated, however. The solid inner core turns only once every 120 years or so, relative to the rest of the planet. No one knows the real reason for field reversals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field
The earth's magnetic field strength was measured by Carl Friedrich Gauss in 1835 and has been repeatedly measured since then, showing an exponential decay with a half-life of about 1400 years.[citation needed] This indicates a relative decay of about 7 % over the last 150 years.

See this also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Allen_radiation_belt

Theres lots more, but Im at work, and if I carry on with google I wont need to worry about getting to work..