Cambelt

L119 UPO

My cam belt is being changed this Friday [41,000] the price I have been quoted is £299 do you think that includes the water pump change as well, does the water pump get changed at the same time they should know this right? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

One of the posts above about cam belt change is ok until 63K, My last lupo 1.4 nearly went at about 33,000 to 39,000 angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> it just got caught in time I think it’s just down to luck but there definitely without a shadow of a doubt a bad design there or we would not be talking about it. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

My cam belt is being changed this Friday [41,000] the price I have been quoted is £299 do you think that includes the water pump change as well, does the water pump get changed at the same time they should know this right? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

One of the posts above about cam belt change is ok until 63K, My last lupo 1.4 nearly went at about 33,000 to 39,000 angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> it just got caught in time I think it’s just down to luck but there definitely without a shadow of a doubt a bad design there or we would not be talking about it. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

waterpump is not a service item so will never get replaced unless it goes wrong.

"in the voice of Troy McClure" Hi my name is Mark - you may remember me from previous threads such as 'How do you lower a car' and 'Can I change the windscreen wipers myself?'.

I've got another mechanically inept question to ask regarding this thread.

What is a cambelt - what does it do - and what happens if it breaks???

Can't tell if mine has ever been changed from the service book & I'm on 73k currently.

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

A cambelt is a belt that goes round the crank pulley, cam pulley, water pump pulley and any other ancillaries that are driven from the same belt. Basically it's what drives the cam in the head to open and close the valves. If it breaks then there's a big possibility that the pistons will hit the valves, bending them in the process. It's a costly breakdown especially as there's 16 valves which may need replacing.

If you're unsure, get it checked out. You really don't want it snapping.

Edited by scottgroovez

"in the voice of Troy McClure" Hi my name is Mark - you may remember me from previous threads such as 'How do you lower a car' and 'Can I change the windscreen wipers myself?'.

I've got another mechanically inept question to ask regarding this thread.

What is a cambelt - what does it do - and what happens if it breaks???

Can't tell if mine has ever been changed from the service book & I'm on 73k currently.

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Gets called in the service book a toothed belt, see if you've got a tick on one of the previous services, you should have, and you'll need another one pretty soon too!

i dont think any lupo gti has gone wrong from belt/tensioner problems. there were polo problems i heard.

I beg to differ...............as mine is one that had the tensioner let go and nearly jumped the belt. Trust me when l tell you it's not a Polo specific problem. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by Poobah

A cambelt is a belt that goes round the crank pulley, cam pulley, water pump pulley and any other ancillaries that are driven from the same belt. Basically it's what drives the cam in the head to open and close the valves. If it breaks then there's a big possibility that the pistons will hit the valves, bending them in the process. It's a costly breakdown especially as there's 16 valves which may need replacing.

If you're unsure, get it checked out. You really don't want it snapping.

in even simpler terms it keeps the top and bottom of the engine in time so the vulves dont go down at the same time as the pistons come up and come into contact with eachother

timingbelt kit

just bought my kit from here, £46, thats half the price from vw.

Many Thanks for the tip. I ordered the kit from the site and it has all the necessary tensioners and relay rollers, even the VW kit does not have the second belt relay roller! This kit is made by Continental and all the parts are German made so I'm sure it will be ok.

I bought the belts, tensioner and relay roller from Euro Car Parts and then realised they do not stock the secondary belt realy roller and tensioner. I returned the parts to Euro Car Parts Glasgow branch and they charged me a 10% handling charge!!

Members be warned, if you buy a part from Euro Car Parts and need to return it they will charge you a handling charge. Pity, I was going to buy discs and brake pads and water pump etc but I will buy them somewhere else.

Many Thanks for the tip. I ordered the kit from the site and it has all the necessary tensioners and relay rollers, even the VW kit does not have the second belt relay roller! This kit is made by Continental and all the parts are German made so I'm sure it will be ok.

I bought the belts, tensioner and relay roller from Euro Car Parts and then realised they do not stock the secondary belt realy roller and tensioner. I returned the parts to Euro Car Parts Glasgow branch and they charged me a 10% handling charge!!

Members be warned, if you buy a part from Euro Car Parts and need to return it they will charge you a handling charge. Pity, I was going to buy discs and brake pads and water pump etc but I will buy them somewhere else.

i got my performance drilled and grooved discs front and rear from that site also.

VW's change to the interval was to save there embarasment with the plastic/nylon tensioners exploding! normally the engine will not suffer detremental damage as the belt shouldnt fly off it if a tensioner fails, i say it shouldnt but dont take my word!

The plastic tensioners are made from nylon, they are brittle, yes....... BUT they are good for about 70K miles. my cars never had the belts done since it was bought, im the second owner and my loop is now on 63K.

John

I second what you are saying about the change of service intervals. The cambelt was going on my lupo sport, I took it into VW to have a service done and they confirmed that the tensioner had exploded and the remains of it had very nearly cut through the belt. I was lucky with it but had a huge battle with VW argueing that the tensioner should not have shattered and that it was a manufacturing defect.

I spent most of the day on and off the phone to the dealership and a good hour argueing with the service manager when I went to pick it up. In the end they halved my bill as a gesture of goodwill and I have the defect parts so I can take the issue up with VW directly. If my Zetec fiesta managed fine until 100k miles (ford recommendation) then I don't see how VW, running the same basic belt and tensioner setup, have to change them every 40K miles. Sounds very much like a design/manufacturing defect to me.

Adrian

Sounds very much like a design/manufacturing defect to me.

Adrian

Thats exactly what it is.

VW thought the tensioner would last 60k.

They then changed it to 40k.

Defenatly not something they were expecting

Thats exactly what it is.

VW thought the tensioner would last 60k.

They then changed it to 40k.

Defenatly not something they were expecting

I that case, its more fuel for the fire with my letter to them. Lets see if I can't get the other half other cost of the labour/parts refunded too.

Adrian biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

if vw think there is a problem with lupo tensioners they should fix it free of charge.

aside from that what i dont understand is if the tensioners are defected then why are good tensioners not used as replacements? if they fit good ones the recommended service schedule would read:

1st change 40k miles and from then on every 60k miles.

why have they changed it to every 40k miles if there is nothing wrong with the tensioners anymore?