coils on springs resting against each other

Clouseau

i have 30mm drop springs and noticed at the rear about 5 of the coils are just compressed against each other making a solid resistance so there is no spring to them, this is at the top end of the spring. the springs are h+r. have other people noticed this aswell. i dont think its right and i will email H+R to mention it to them as check their opinion.

springs like this have no compression give in them in the area the coils are touching each other.

Ditto my FK coilovers.

Think there is some truth in Tigz' earlier comment. Front coilovers have separate helper springs for the same reason but as there are no helper springs on the rear maybe that is why the coils are closed up under normal loading.

it stops the springs falling out when the wheels arent on the ground and ensures a better "landing " its not a problem it also stops the srings from moving when there not under load. its meant to be that way.

any one with 100ish drops on the rear will notice when the cars on axle stands the springs flop about the extra/compressed coil part takes up the slack and keeps ya safe or otherwise bye bye springs! hello trouble!

as above i had an APEX suspension kit on my 1st cinq and didnt believe it to be great quality but it cost less than half the price of my latest gear and the springs DID NOT rest against each other and they gave damn siight better handling

wayne

as above i had an APEX suspension kit on my 1st cinq and didnt believe it to be great quality but it cost less than half the price of my latest gear and the springs DID NOT rest against each other and they gave damn siight better handling

wayne

springs are like tread patterns there all diffrent amongst makes and models some manufacture allow touching coils some dont just coz the coils touch doesnt mean there poor quality just a diffrent design.

everyone does things diffrently

get what your saying every product is different but one that is made where it can rub against itself and cause future corrosion problems clearly isnt well designed or good quality it has also been noted by one garage that was looking at my car that them touching will have a huge degree in it being so harsh over bumps down a country lane etc and why other coilovers have chosen NOT to use helper springs such as Koni or spax or IIRC Avo

wayne

its because they are 'progressive'

all to do with 'bump' and 'rebound'

your spring compresses and extends....it give you a bettr ride quality then if they were not like this.

when you go down a bump the car comes back up, the 'progressive' bit (bits that are touching) or on coilovers the 'helper spring' soften the whole process. without it there would be a lot of crashing and banging and a very harsh ride.

helper springs on coilovers are normally completly compressed when the car is sitting on the ground.

some coilovers have helper springs while others have progressive springs, good example is to look at fk kits - their 'AK' coilovers (the yellow cheap ones) are progressive (closer coils at the top and bottom than in the middle) while their 'HIGHSPORT' coilovers have helper springs and the other spring is the same all the way up.

two kits by the same manufacturer using both methods.

it does not make it harsh as the main bulk of the spring does the downwards movement (bounce) the helper or progressive bit does the rebound.

its supposed to be like this......

its because they are 'progressive'

all to do with 'bump' and 'rebound'

its supposed to be like this......

Exactamundo... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

sorry t catch this at the end, but i had a set of koni red dampers matched to the same brand springs on my clio, both front and back were compressed with a couple of the coils touching, and the ride was the best ive ever experienced no harshness over bumps and brilliant round the corners.

as i got no reply from email but i managed to get H+R number which is 01375 362828 if anyone ever needs to know. but the guy i spoke to didnt sound that convincing to be honest. but his responce was that it was normal for this to occur. but he said it was like on a small car compared to a big car this can happen. which is rubbish. i've had small cars fitted with lowering springs before and they had no coils resting. he also said springs only are for ride height and dampers control the damping/ride. but this is not right either they need to match each other.

i wonder if i could email the german H+R and see if they sound like experts..

Edited by qually

he is technically right, thts why we have dampers as they are there to control the rebound and compression of the springs, springs can either come progressive and none progressive as stated above, but they dont really do much for the damping and rebound tht just depends on the strength of the spring, which is why dampers are there to control it. if your dampers are set up with too much rebound the ride will be harsh as they will spring back out or if its too little the dampers will not have time to rebound if you go over a succesion of bumpsso will end up bottoming out quickly.

Think thts right! lol! hope it makes sense

as you come out of a dip in the road your car raises.as you throw your car round a right hand corner the right of your car raises. as you accelerate hard the front of your car raises.as you break (really hard) the rear of your car raises.

as your car does this the helper spring or the progressive bit that is normally touching itself extends. as your car goes back down again the helper spring or the progressive bit softens the downwards/resting back to normal height movement.

without the helper spring or progressive spring you dont get the softening effect, ie you get a harsh ride.

imagine you are a giant blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> picking your car up and think of what the compressed bit of spring would do, it would fill the gap that would appear between the spring and the top mount, then when you put it back down it would have a softer landing than if there was a gap there.

Progressive spring designs for lowering cars are used to (in order of relevance)

1. keep the spring trapped (legal requirement)

2. sell to the customer (this is better just because it is progressive)

3. easy solution for the designer

4. duplicating the OE progression (e.g.; conical shape is progressive)

5. actually is better for the vehicle to have progressive rate (rarely happens)

quote from whiteline suspension.

whiteline

link to tech guide on springs, also at top is guide on shocks and other suspension parts.