Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

Tigz™

Fantastic Guide to Air Horns

Hi All,

After a Major site revamp I have now updated the URL for the trumpets article...it can be found at ( www.xlr8.co.im/Articles/p2018_articleid/14 ) I have also added more articles which may be of interest.

Please feel free to check out the site & join our community- you will be made very welcome.

Regards

XLR8

you know you will need a controller for the wideband Lambda yea?

Yes mate, think Cliffo paid about £150 for his sensor and controller.

Hi All,

After a Major site revamp I have now updated the URL for the trumpets article...

Thanks for the link, I'll update my post and take a look at your site smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Spoke to Millburn Garage today, he has a lad free tomorrow so he'll be spending the day on the car.

Hes going to get the interior in, as I need to send up a few parts.

Thinking of taking a drive up there and dropping it all off when the ECU arrives (Had a missed parcel today so its probably that!) as I realised I left the drivers seat in the spare room! lol

Exhaust manifold is on, brakes replaced, driveshafts stripped and power coated, all the bolts I have refitted tourqued up.

Supprising how much work a mechanic can do in a day eh?

Turns out the powersteering/alternator bracket is different between the 1.0 and 1.4 engine, so my power steering pump wont fit.

Need to find a 1.0 bracket...

Edited by Tigz

Another Update.

Just ordered a VEMS Wideband O2 Sensor controller.

Knowledge "is'' Power. No matter if you have a high-boost track monster, nitrous oxide boosted drag racer or a fast road car ''knowing'' your Air fuel ratio is an essential factor in getting the optimum power and reliablity from your engine. Add to this the essential information you can gain about your ignition timing from the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) you can ensure that your safely within your engine components operating range and limit the danger of detonation. So take the guess work out of the engine management setup.

The VEMS Wideband 02/EGT sensor will give you the information you require to obtain the optimum performance when mapping your engine management system and give you peace of mind when ever you use that performance.

Kit description:

VEMS Wideband consists of:

AFR (air fuel ratio) Gauge with dual colour display in a standard 52mm fitment.

Bosch LSU-4 Lamba sensor.

Complete wiring loom with fused power cable, sensor and multifunciton cable.

Gauge mounting hardware.

CD containing software and installation instructions.

Optional: Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor with temperature compensated cable. (extra £59)

Features:

Wideband Oxygen sensor control and display.

Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) sensor display.

Display configurable to display AFR or Lambda and C or F for EGT

Selectable Narrow or wide band output to provide suitable ECUs with the standard lambda feed back they need for closed-loop operation.

RPM input to provide context for datalogging.

Boost or Throttle Position sensor input for datalogging.

5A solenoid driver, to provide triggered solanoid control.

Serial (RS232) connection providing datalogging to PC and Field upgradeable software.

When Rob from Vems UK first introduced this product to me, I must admit that I got quite excited. "It's an Air/Fuel Meter" he said. From my own experience, most air fuel meters are huge cumbersome boxes, that engine tuners man-handle onto your dash so they can map your car correctly. When I first saw the gauge , I couldn't get my head around how all that technology can fit into a little 50mm gauge AND have enough room left to incorporate an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) meter.

A common problem with some of the Air Fuel/wideband lambda systems on the market at the moment is the sensors. A lot of these systems are provided with budget lambda's and are less than reliable. Not the case with the Vems system! It uses the highest quality Bosch 5 wire lambda sensor (part number: 0 258 007 057/058) which is known as the preferred choice of professional engine tuners.

Fitting is also simple for people in the know, but most may require the assistance of a garage. The turbo exhaust housing (or down pipe on N/A cars) requires a drilled and tapped hole for the sensor to slot into. This sensor will handle temperatures in excess of 1000 degrees and has a bendable/routable wire which will carry it safely away from any hot engine internals. The Lambda sensor will need a flange/plug welded onto your exhaust section (just before the catalytic converter) This will give a solid reading without the air turbulence.

Inside the cabin, it's a case of connecting up the sensor feeds and attaching a live and an earth. Another nice surprise from this system is that any data is fully recordable. The Vems unit can be connected to any laptop computer via a serial cable and with the addition of a handy piece of software, live data logging is very easy indeed.

For £259 the Vems EGT/Wideband system is great value for money and a very useful tool for engine tuners/mappers and performance car drivers alike. Buy one today, monitor your car. Make pre-detonation and lean running a thing of the past.

CB

VEMS_wideband_detail2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" /> VEMS_wideband_detail1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/product_...mp;cName=gauges

Oh yes, couldn't get the price reduced, but did get free delivery smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edt again.

Emmas not best pleased lol

Edited by Tigz

hmmm wat if you have no cat tho andy

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Perfect mate

Its to tell you exactly how the engine is running.

This will allow mapping to be done on the move, without the need for a rolling road

Benefit is after mapping, 6 months down the line you can still see if everything is still good.

The VW sensor is will just tell the VW each that everything is OK (ie how it was when it left the factory) or through the light on.

Thats why a De-cat can cause problems for the GTI engine.

You fit it where ever you want in your exhaust system.

Edited by Tigz

That disply tells you if it too rich or too lean, I'l have a VW base map to start with, I just add or reduce the fuel at each RPM while following what the lambda probe is tell me.

Without that, its just not possable to tune the engine using an o2 sensor.

It would have to be on a rolling road with an o2 sensor up the tail pipe.

how easy is it to put a bigger throttle body on a 1.4 16v?

how much will it cost?

What gains will i get?

If you get chance have a read through this thread, I think there is a recap on expense vs gain, on page 16.

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

Edited by matt a

nice progress and some nice kit wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

and just so were sure on this your getting the car back base mapped and then YOU are planning to fine tune the map smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

wayne

Thanks Wayne.

The ECU is supplied with a base map, so I expect I'll get the car back running, Id like to do, or be involved in the mapping though, wether thats when the car comes back here, or if I travel to Scotland for the weekend while its done.

dxg most of the standard loom that goes through the bulk head wont be needed, so the few wires for the new ECU and the sensor should fit into the standard bulkhead hole.

Had to send them a cheque though, so delivery should be around 10 days including giving the cheque time to clear.

Typical, no matter what or where you order things never arrive in time!

Getting sent out today!

Just ordered a couple of exhaust flexi from here

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?pli...s_Exhaust_Parts

At least these have turned up!

Typical, no matter what or where you order things never arrive in time!

Getting sent out today!

too bloody true ordered some parts for the arosa last wednesday promised delivery within two days and they still arent here angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> called up and should be here tommorrow or thursday at latest NOT pleased at all and doubt ill use them again

wayne