Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

Tigz™

MoTecs are great but tbh, I wouldn't buy the M4 mainly because the mapping software is DOS based which makes it a pain! They're tech support is great, but if I get one for the formula student car next year, I'll be going for an M400. You get the Windows 32 ECU software then and the M400 can do individual cylinder maps which is pretty awesome. Only problem is, it's £1800!

TBH, if you're spending £700 on an ECU, you probably be best to get a DTA P8 Pro for that money. They're tech support is truly *****, and you have to know what you're doing, but it's more powerful than the M4.

You know that most ECU manufacturers release their mapping software for free on their websites? Quite good for making decisions on which on to get. The DTA controller looks like this:

Ignition Map:

ignitionmappv9.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Real Time Info:

realtimeinfogs0.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Edited by ArosaMike

I've been seeing this posts about ecu, I am getting a DTA S60 , the bad thing about diy ecus is the lack of professional support wich you get with DTA and Motec. I decided for dta because of the support , you even have foruns to help you.

Before I decided wich one to buy, I emailed them with all questions I wanted to be answered , I never considered motec ,price is too high, but i sent an email to haltech, wolf3d, ontronic, dta, emerald and dta was the only company that answered me, emerald , not even an answer, haltech is ok has everything a dta has but their headquarters is far from europe, wolf 3d lacks of canbus, and ontronic the software is hard to handle . Another thing I think you should do is to take the software from the internet and try it, if you are going to make your own tuning. Diy ecus are ok, but if anything goes wrong who will ask for support? If our ecu brakes down and you can't fix it, will you buy another one?

I guess not. I preffer to pay and have support(software, firmware upgrade etc...) wich is what you paying for in the end since the hardware is not that expensive.

Sorry to say this Marmes, but they're great when you're about to buy stuff off them......buy try giving them a ring 6 months down the line. I rang their offices up a month or so ago now to ask if they might be able to suggest some settings for a base map. First time I rang, guy was on lunch so had to wait an hour. Rang back...put on hold for 2 mins upon which I get the following:

'Tech Support': "Yup"

Me: "Hi. I'm phoning from the University of Birmingham Formula Student team. We have a couple of your P8 Pro ECUs and I'm trying to sort out a base map for a Yamaha R6 and I was wondering if you have any info that might help?"

'Tech Support': "Hang on"

A couple of mins later

'Tech Support': "No"

Me: "Oh. Ok then. Um, well we're having a bit of a problem getting it to start cleanly and it misfires a lot at low revs. We think perhaps the crank sensor is loosing it's position as it's running a 36 tooth encoder wheel with 4 teeth missing. We were thinking of changing to an 18 with 2 missing"

'Tech Support': "Haha. No you don't want to be doing that. The only reason our ECUs can support down to 12 teeth is because some idiot companies like Vauxhall use that. If anything you want more teeth. 36 would be the minimum"

This basically goes against everything everyone (including the main ECU tech support bloke at MoTec who gave me 15mins of advice for free when we don't even own an MoTec ECU) has said to me. The encoder on a bike engine is so small that if you have 36 teeth, the gap between each tooth is about 2mm. The sensor has to run within 10% of the distance between the teeth from the wheel itself and hence, it has to run 0.2mm from the wheel! Kind of hard to set up. Further more, it then also miss counts as the dip in magnetism is so small it often doesn't detect it.

Me: "Are you sure?"

'Tech Support': "Yeah. Try more teeth"

Me: "OK. Any other suggestions as to why we might be having problems"

'Tech Support': "Have you checked your loom?"

Me: "Yes"

'Tech Support': "Check it again"

Me: "Right ok. Thanks. Bye"

So in a word. This guy either a) didn't know what the hell he was talking about or (most likely) cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> really couldn't be bothered to help and would rather get to his copy of Playboy and continue listening to Scott Mills on Radio 1. Way to promote good business.

In all honesty. You probably be better with a MegaSquirt. At least you understand it then!

ArosaMike, yes sometimes it happens , but when you buy an ecu from them, they describe what the ecu can do or not,

They can give support to their products, if you have difficult in connecting and put it working and if your ecu breaks down they can fix it for sure even out of warranty, I think that they don't have to find a solution for each costumer, that's a thing you have to pay for or figure yourself. For example, my TB is electronic EGAS pedal etc, I know their ecus don't support it, I will not ring them and ask wich TB should I buy , how to adapt it. I don't know if I am explaining myself correctly, I am not english sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> , but what I am trying to say is that you don't have the same support in hardware with ms as you have with other. If megasquirt dies, you have to fix it yourself with others you don't , for racing purpose, that's not a viable solution, not even for everyday run.

Yeah..don't get me wrong, they are happy to replace hardware and stuff like that, but good luck getting any technical advice out of them after you've brought it. If they don't have a map for you're engine, good luck finding one! LOL. You can start from scratch but it takes a long time and usually the engine sounds like a dragster for a while tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Cool....but not so good for the engine!

If you do need a hand though, let me know cause I have a fair bit of experience now with the P8 and what sensors it needs etc. They've changed their models recently, but it seems the S60 has almost identical functions to the P8 Pro and the software is near enough the same. Interestingly, having just downloaded the new software, I've discovered that there is infact a map for a Formula Student CBR 600 engine on it. So much for the guy having nothing. This is ideal, as the R6 will more than likely run on a CBR map as the engines are both so similar. Anyway I'm thinking out loud here!

Just make sure you get everything you can out of them right at the beginning. With regards sensors etc...most Ford parts seem to be compatible with the ECU...so if in doubt...just go down to a scrappy and have a dig around tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Just occurred to me to say....don't buy sensors from DTA or MoTec. If you get them from MoTec at least, they charge you 3 times the price for a sensor you can get from RS. The main reason for this is there's a fairly high failure rate on many sensors, so MoTec buy them in bulk, test every single one and then guarantee they'll work (they throw the duff ones out). Great if you want a sensor that's guaranteed to work straight away, but considering you'd be really unlucky to get two duff ones from RS in a row, you're unlikely to see any financial benefit!

Looks good. They've certainly set you up with a decent amount of sensors and stuff. I think I've heard Emerald are pretty good. At the end of the day, most people won't ever use half the functions you get in a DTA or MoTec. We might try the traction and launch control on the car this year as we have the wiring for it in the loom. Should result in some cool F1 style noises like lots of cool backfiring on the acceleration run to keep the revs set at the optimum for take off. We don't even use closed loop Lambda though as it such a ****** to set up and you have to add in a separate control box and at £200 odd we can only afford 1 (we have a spare DTA incase it fails at comp).

Edited by ArosaMike

• 2 weeks later...

The gearbox on the Polo failed, and rather than spending cash getting it repaired I've bought a 42k mile Polo GTI engine, loom and gearbox for £350.

A supplier I use in Northampton is picking it up and delivering it to my house tomorrow, the gearbox will be going into the Polo, and the Lupo will be taking the engine and loom.

I need to sell the Polo to pay for the remaining work to be done on the Lupo.

I think I've decided on the colour for the re-spray, I was going for Silver with satin black bumpers and mirrors but in the time the car has been off the road that has been done to death.

Not saying what colour, but it will be bright, not seen on a Lupo before and hopefully be a nice change from the boring Silver I've become bored of with my two VWs.

The chap who has my car is coming down next week to collect the interior, engine and bring the colour charts down for us to look through.

Hes as desperate as I am to see it finished, so fingers crossed it should be done for this summer.

Its been a while since I've missed the Lupo, but I'm really excited at the prospect of driving her again.

Just need a set of wheels...

I spotted it at Santa Pod.

He gave me his number, and he found a gearbox to go with it.

TBH, if I had not had the Polo, I think I would have been happy with the 1400, but I cant go for a smaller engine now.

Just hope the gearbox will take 160bhp+

Plus Nitros wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

haha building the car to take on me now andi?

when will you build a car to take me on paul laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I like to go off Pods timing gear only, as its the only offical timing gear in the UK.

Would love to see the 20v owners take on the rest of the UK dubs at Pod sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Pauls is the first tuned Lupo I have seen on the strip!