1.7 TDI Conversion

TheDigitalPimP

Just a thought....from what I can gather reading around here the 1.9TDI used in the Polo etc. is fairly similar to the 1.7 SDI engine... right? If this is the case has anyone done a turbo conversion on the 1.7 SDI Lupo?

Will the exhaust manifold, injectors maybe the head if required from the 1.9TDI fit straight onto the 1.7? Most importantly could it be mapped easily using the 1.9 ECU perhaps?!

I'm actually after a 1.4TDI but seen as 1.7SDI's are ten a penny on autotrader but lacking somewhat in performance I was just thinking of what could be possible!!!

Any ideas? Preferably not the ones that go something like get a GTI! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I didnt think the SDI and TDI PD were particularly similar, but I may be wrong! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

1.7 SDI and 1.9 TDI are different motors entirely. The 1.7 SDI in the Lupo is a sleeved down 1.9 SDI from the Mk4 Polo's...

There's a lot of work involved, and a lot of custom parts you'd need to make up, but you can convert the SDI motor to TDI. You wouldn't gain a lot in outright performance (it's not like converting a petrol motor), you'd only gain in torque and driveability.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Sounds like I got a bit mixed up with the SDI and TDI! Doh!

I could quite easily fabricate the manifold and pipework to turbo an SDI its just the mapping bit which concerns me most! I think a 1.7TDI would be quite a performer on the quiet.

g-man... i'm looking to spend somewhere around the £3K mark, perhaps a little more if need be. Need to shift my FTO first though!

You'd need to fabricate a custom intake manifold to replace the current plastic item. You'll also need another throttle body to replace the current plastic item. You'll need to fabricate a turbo mounting/exhaust manifold and downpipe, boost pipes, and you'll need to look at compression and vacuums. Fueling is mechanical; there is no ecu as such to map on an SDI. You'll also only be able to run a tiny turbocharger on the motor as it doesn't rev, so you'll more than likely max out at 100bhp or less. You wont be able to spin anything up quick enough, or for long enough to get any massive power gains smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

A massive amount of work for upto a 40hp gain in my opinion. I'd go with a stock TDI Lupo to be honest, though you might struggle to get a good one for that £3k wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

A massive amount of work for upto a 40hp gain in my opinion. I'd go with a stock TDI Lupo to be honest, though you might struggle to get a good one for that £3k wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Yep i think you could struggle to get one for £3k too. There is a black on on here for sale for about £3250 i think, its done 115,000 miles. Have you thought about a Arosa TDi they are often cheaper and more value for money?

Chris

Edited by cardaft

If you thinking about putting in 3K, than why not go with real TDI engine?

But you have to take some engine which had already VNT turbine. It'l make sence.

Also as I assume, that exhaust manifold from TDI engine is not direct bolt on SDI engine? Am I right?

Edited by J.K.jr.bad.

I Keep threatening to turbo my sdi, just not got around to it yet. Sourced a lot of info and parts over the past year. Just a few bits and some balls to go and its gonna happen.

You still not done that yet Paul??? I was just reading through the posts and thought about you and was going to mention your name and 'hey presto' the next post I came across was yours. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Mark smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by ArosaPD

Hiya mark

Still not done tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> , changed jobs beginning of the year and not got alot of time. Got all the parts i need except for intercooler pipes and exhaust. Im hoping to buy a cheap car early next year and get mine off the road properly.

Cheers.

1.7 SDI and 1.9 TDI are different motors entirely. The 1.7 SDI in the Lupo is a sleeved down 1.9 SDI from the Mk4 Polo's...

There's a lot of work involved, and a lot of custom parts you'd need to make up, but you can convert the SDI motor to TDI. You wouldn't gain a lot in outright performance (it's not like converting a petrol motor), you'd only gain in torque and driveability.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The 1.7 unit isn't a sleeved down version of the 1.9, the bore is the same, but the stroke is different as the 1.9 unit would be to tall to fit the Lupo engine bay without mucho work.

I suspect that the Lupo 1.7 unit is derived from the 1980's 1.6 range, and the 1.7 was originally fitted to the T25 van! However the Lupo version of this engine benefits for having the much more modern SDI technology cylinder head.

I'd love to get more power out of ours, but the effort and cost probably isn't worth it :-(

I'd be interested to hear how you get on...

Has anyone put a bigger turbo on the 1.4TDI?

Theirs no need.

Unfortunately a bigger turbo would just increase lat, and make drivability to a minimum...

The wee TDI's suffer a little bit of lag off the mark as it is, without making them completely useless under 2500 revs by adding a rolled up elephants trunk, housing a desk fan.

Sounds like I got a bit mixed up with the SDI and TDI! Doh!

I could quite easily fabricate the manifold and pipework to turbo an SDI its just the mapping bit which concerns me most! I think a 1.7TDI would be quite a performer on the quiet.

g-man... i'm looking to spend somewhere around the £3K mark, perhaps a little more if need be. Need to shift my FTO first though!

Trouble with an SDI turbo, would be that you dont have the PD technology you get in the wee 3 pot lupo derv

The 1.7 unit isn't a sleeved down version of the 1.9, the bore is the same, but the stroke is different as the 1.9 unit would be to tall to fit the Lupo engine bay without mucho work.

The capacity decrease is usually done on the crank... hence the difference in stroke. You don't get one without the other, it's an engineering norm, and VW don't tend to change bore sizes and pistons unless they really have to. The decrease is only 200cc - 50cc per cylinder, that's millimetres on a crank stroke. The term 'sleeved down' is a saying - it has nothing to do with sleeving a cylinder in this instance.

The mk4 Polo bay that the 1.9 was fitted to, is the same size as the Lupo. The subframe mounting, alters the height of the block within that bay. There's no reason why the 1.9 Polo motor can't be fitted to the Lupo bay, and conversely, why the 1.7 Lupo motor can't be fitted to the Polo bay smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Dubya