Weight of Air Conditioning

willcrook

But Beach surely you know that there are differences between engines when they roll out of the factory. I'd bet you would be annoyed going to all that trouble to find a Lupo without a/c and i come along and mine is 3-5bhp faster than yours as standard.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I can see what Beach is saying.

I've gone for Aircon with the Polo as its my family car and I want my family to be comfy on long trips.

But I wouldn't want it on the Lupo if it ever works again!

i remember AKlupo's gti having the lowest bhp of the day because he hadn't changed the plugs! lol! bet he's gonna love me for digging that one back up again!!!

on a day-to-day basis, its not gonna be noticed whether you have a/c or you don't.

But Beach surely you know that there are differences between engines when they roll out of the factory. I'd bet you would be annoyed going to all that trouble to find a Lupo without a/c and i come along and mine is 3-5bhp faster than yours as standard.

of course that would be annoying. i dont have a choice in that matter though unlike what accessoires it comes with. i actualy think i'm lucky though and have a good unit from vw from the RR result i got when i 1st bought the car. its over stock figures.

of course that would be annoying. i dont have a choice in that matter though unlike what accessoires it comes with. i actualy think i'm lucky though and have a good unit from vw from the RR result i got when i 1st bought the car. its over stock figures.

We all know about RR differences though.

Do you wear leightweight clothing and count the amount of change you have in your pocket before going out? You better keep your washer fluid as low as possible as well!

I believe the word we should be using is "neglegable".... there is a neglegable difference with air con. my car feels no less slow when it's two-up, only when I get to 3 or 4-up do I feel the difference. and a person weighs a lot more than a compressor

Only just read this thread but was suprised by Babs' comment, can you really not feel the effect of a passenger in your car let alone two huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> ? Maybe this is why a/c would be negleable to you ? Coming from my polo with climate control the performance decrese with it on was rediculous, and for that reason I didn't even use it much, so when buying the lupo I felt it was pointless having all the extra weight, non aircon for me all the way !

Btw does everyone else not usually put a full tank of fuel in instead putting say 10 quid odd in each time to keep weight down, sad maybe but it definately makes a difference over a full tank smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Dan_F

i remember AKlupo's gti having the lowest bhp of the day because he hadn't changed the plugs! lol! bet he's gonna love me for digging that one back up again!!!

on a day-to-day basis, its not gonna be noticed whether you have a/c or you don't.

this comes down to the individual again, and what you do on a day to day basis. daily i take mt gti up through the gears to just before the limiter, hard on the brakes somtimes a bit of abs kicks in, then fast through the corners and through the gears again. luckily i have local roads where i can do this all the time. i mostly drive my car to have fun.

and i consider it to be very comfortable, i compare it to karting which i also love. when i have had some fun in my gti i consider it a bonus i'm not covered in bruises down my spine which i get for hitting the bumps on a kart track. so we take our comfort levels and needs in relation to different areas. thats why some people think air con in always a good thing, and i wish it was banned from vehicles by the uk government.

people dont think of how much it pollutes the atmosphere, but high levels of the modern type of refridgerant are being found in the air and it can only have come from car/office air conditoning. manufacturers say it is safely held, but it obviously still leaks out.

Do you wear leightweight clothing and count the amount of change you have in your pocket before going out? You better keep your washer fluid as low as possible as well!

full body wax?

Edited by Babs

Same for me mate.

Struggled to get past 120mph with the air con on.

On a private road of course.

I'm sure we are talking about with the A/C off. Of course i notice with the AC on, i dont even use my AC much.

yes i do. i also take keys off my keyring if i know i wont be using them for that particular day. i told you i'm mental.

also when i take my big bottle of water with me for a afternoon out i think about how much activity i will be doing and how thirsty i might be, then i judge how much water to put into my 2litre bottle. i dont want to put in too much in case i carry it for no point.

yes i do. i also take keys off my keyring if i know i wont be using them for that particular day. i told you i'm mental.

also when i take my big bottle of water with me for a afternoon out i think about how much activity i will be doing and how thirsty i might be, then i judge how much water to put into my 2litre bottle. i dont want to put in too much in case i carry it for no point.

Can you post a picture up of yourself. I dont believe you have ever been outside!

this thread makes me chuckle.

what about the size of the bottle? surely if you've got less than 2 litres in it, having a 2 litre bottle is a waste?

The extra air inside the bottle may make it weigh less....

awesome shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Edited by Dan_F

i'm sure his car is weighed down by all the hot air he speaks. therefore, having aircon would cool the air down, which is less dense, and therefore be a benefit to his car if he were to pipe it into his induction system.

i'm sure his car is weighed down by all the hot air he speaks. therefore, having aircon would cool the air down, which is less dense, and therefore be a benefit to his car if he were to pipe it into his induction system.

Cooler air is more dense

edit: inventive idea though huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Edited by Dan_F

i have to diassagree air con makes a noticable difference. if you get a flat 16 on the 1/4 mile with aircon then you will be in the 15's without it, its as simple as that.

it depends on how sensitive as a driver you are to a car and its performance, every little helps. and in this case its a lot. a little is when you do things like i did to my car, like only having one window winder so had to take it of one door and put in on the other when i wanted both windows down. and taking out indivdual fuses for items i no longer had in the car. it gets laughed at by people who dont understand. but appreciated by those with performance background. only by doing lots of little things do you achieve the best or a target kerb weight.

to lose a few grammes in motorsport can cost thousands of pounds. so to remove a big weight like air con, for free, is not something to be sniffed at.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I weigh loads around 98kg's, which is great, because when I've made the car as light as I can.. I can then STILL save weight by not being such a lardy boy.

I should get one of you skinny boys to run it up the quarter mile, it'll probably take another second off it blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

or fill the extra space with helium?

lots of people at santapod fill their tyres with helium laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I wonder if I could fill the entire car with it wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

helium is said to be better for the tyres as it has less water in it! said to stay inflated longer or something! (i read that somewhere!)