Weight of Air Conditioning

willcrook

was the lupo designed with quarter-miles in mind? i don't think so. most people buy a car now with what boxes are ticked on the spec sheet, so as to have one over the Jones's.

i didn't buy a carbon air filter kit to make my car go faster, i wanted it for the noise it makes! i would have liked a/c on my car, its a nice thing to have, but the fact it hasn't got it doesn't make me think "oohhh, so glad thats not on it, i can go faster than a gti with a/c". for me, the lupo gti is fast enuff as it is, thats what vw intended. if it was supposed to have 300 bhp, vw would have made it that way!

if you want a fast car, buy a fast one in the first place!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt buy the gti because it was fast i bought it becasue it didnt have air con! and because i liked the quality/ride/character/looks/relative performance.

i dont want to spend my money on crap i dont want.

really liked the mitsubushi CVT quicker and more powerful than the lupo and had the other appeals, but it has aircon as standard. tough but i had to stick to what i believe in. they lost my custom because they dont have the sence to give customers an option for what they want in a car. car industry is going downhill if you ask me if you cant say what you want in a car. i told the dealer this he said just take it out, which i would have done if he had bought the parts back off me once i had stripped it off and returned them to his showroom.

Edited by beach

sure the cvt is more powerful than the gti, but the official 0-60 is the same as the gti's, and the 3/4 mph top end doesn't really matter.

a/c is generally considered to be standard issue on most cars these days, along with electric windows etc.... its a consumer market, not an individual market. thats what you buy a ferrari/lambo/rolls royce for

my Corrola didn't have air con. niether did my Rover.

I can point you in the direction of them if you want?

I believe the word we should be using is "neglegable".... there is a neglegable difference with air con. my car feels no less slow when it's two-up, only when I get to 3 or 4-up do I feel the difference. and a person weighs a lot more than a compressor

you woudn't know if you were driving a car with or without air con unless you saw the "A/C" button, or the climate control panel. of course, if it's on then possibly, but doubtfull. the extra weight of the compressor etc is insignificant

most cars in uk do have air con as standard, i was wondering if i do really live on a small island in the far northern hemisphere or i had somehow gone down into the tropics, its crazy. i can accpet it as a "city" option aswell. but i live far away from any city. i dont need aircon.

offical 0-60 of cvt is 7.2 seconds lupo gti is 8.2 isnt it? a second is a big difference. the torque of the gti is 152nm the czt is over 200nm. its a lot stronger engine performance.

the significance of everything is down to personal preference.

Edited by beach

i can accpet it as a "city" option aswell. but i live far away from any city. i dont need aircon.

and the VW Lupo is... *drum roll*

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

A city car!!

*beach in completly off thread shocker*

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

To answer the original question I think the unit weighs 11kg without assosiated brackets etc.

Oh and I'm not a fan of A/C, not for weight, I just get sore a throat because of them.

i was wondering if i do really live on a small island in the far northern hemisphere or i had somehow gone down into the tropics

i'm sure there are a few people on here that wished you did! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I probably weigh half as much as lupogtiboy, so i save weight and i have got a/c. Unlucky!

And as for the " didnt buy the gti because it was fast i bought it becasue it didnt have air con". Beach are you on crack?!

I probably weigh half as much as lupogtiboy, so i save weight and i have got a/c. Unlucky!

And as for the " didnt buy the gti because it was fast i bought it becasue it didnt have air con". Beach are you on crack?!

lol! you are half the man i am!

and the VW Lupo is... *drum roll*

A city car!!

oh my god..

thats just the name for a type of car thats small lol.

i like small cars. are you saying lupo should only be driven in a city and then you have to get out and order a taxi to go to another town or village?

when i said city i meant city, for people who are like mostly using their car in say london and they want air con becasue the air is nicer and you never go much over 40mph. so can see why they would like air con as a kind of need.

where i live i'm not in stop start traffic all the time.

Edited by beach

How much do you all weigh yourselves?

I weigh 66kg so i'm pretty light which is nice from a performance pov, thinking about getting carbon fibre legs installed though : p

i'm 70kgs. and it makes me mad when i quite often get to 72kgs. this is the boundary.

i weigh the same as a full tank of fuel in an f1 car. thats a factoid.

so WHY did you buy a lupo?

???? there is nothing i dont like about the lupo, i love it.

it doesnt have air con. it looks nice, it goes well, handles well. quailty is good.

not many cars like that.

the civic type R was an alternative and the integra. i thought the integra was overpriced for the age, and the civic was lacking in inspiration when i drove it. and its steering wheel too thin.

liked overall the CZT and celica 190, but they had air con.

no as said i'm mental.

*beach in completly off thread shocker*

To answer the original question I think the unit weighs 11kg without assosiated brackets etc.

Oh and I'm not a fan of A/C, not for weight, I just get sore a throat because of them.

i've changed my mind, i'm 100% behind air con if it gives you a sore throat. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by beach

isn't buying a car based on the fact it hasnt got air-con a bit silly if your not going to strip all the other things you dont need in the car out... like the soundproofing etc... It's really not going to make that much of a difference, and air-con is useful in winter as well as summer... so good for demisting windows!

i have happily managed for over 10 years driving in summer and winter without air con. i really dont need it, of course i would have it and use it if it weighed 0 grams. anything more and i would rather have the performance of not having it.

i close my windows in summer when i'm driving for speed/fun. i dont have resistance either smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> i dont care if i'm too hot or cooking, its fun to drive and know your not wasting energy/performance/acceleration/braking distance/ability around corners and twisty roads. all these things go to pot when you add weight to the car.

i really want to pst something, but i won't, as i'm not gonna stoop down to beach's level.

if a lupo with a/c had come along, i would have bought it, simple as that. i wouldn't then even consider removing £650's worth of compressor, £200's worth or condensor and any other associated bumpf that goes with it. people have paid good money for it to be there, the pro's of it outweigh (pardon the pun) the cons, as it has a use in the winter as well as the summer. i know that if i had it, it would spend 90% of its life on