How low should I go

Picola

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> what made mine vibrate and sound like thrumming tank was the NISMO engine and gearbox mounts. they were still rubber but they directed so much more through the chassis and into the wheel. still the more you can feel the better for extreme motoring fun. i had a lot of fun, but i could have been quicker on rural roads if i was softer.

picola i dont know how your wanting it so i hope you dont mind some sport/speed orientated opinion.

You come across extremely patronising Beach. I do know a thing or two about tuning thanks very much.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a fine balance when figuring out how low you can go. The lower your car is the better it looks and handles(on the whole). But there is a price to pay.. harsh ride (any bumpy roads and you are rocked all over the place..can get on your nerves over time), can be skippy when cornering on uneaven surfaces, and you have to be carful you dont whack your bumper or even worse your sump!

Cheap alternative Eibach arb and Eibach springs(but not as low).

If you get coilovers you can get height and rebound adjusment, but not cheap!

Swings and roundabouts wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> good luck

@ Beach: I think you've been on here long enough now to realise that 'most' members on the forum are mainly about styling whilst enjoying any performance benefits that may come with it, such as improved handling.

Others are into tuning and benefit from the good looks that may arise from the mod's.

Some are just crazy e.g. One Litre Screamer and for a totally different reason Bikerz!

However as far as I see it 'we' are a like minded group of single model (nearly!) owners who like to appreciate (or not), discuss, advise, slag, and 'whatever' each others cars or opinions with no offence meant or taken. With the 'odd' get together now and again.

My car?

20,000 immmaculate miles

'02 1.0MPi Arosa - in a fetching shade of Arctic Grey

Electric sun roof

-45mm AVO springs (Bonrath cups waiting to go on for another -10-15mm on the front)

S2000 stubby ariel

SEAT Alana CD HU

JBL 160w speakers

BBS J 14x6 rims (and Scala 14x6 waiting in the wings: not to mention the project wheels)

De-badged rear

VW boot liner

VW in-dash cup holders

None of which make my little car go any faster in a straight line or out-perform either of my next door neighbours' Evo VII (to the right) or BMW 3 series coupe (to the left), or in fact the 1.2 Punto with which it shares a driveway, on the tight twisty roads of Highland Perthshire, but they do make it abit more individual and 'funky'. It also stops me spending my money on drugs.

So enjoy the forum for what it is, learn the characters and pay respect where due.

Ray

You come across extremely patronising Beach. I do know a thing or two about tuning thanks very much.

no need to see me like that its just the way of communicating. i'm just saying whats in my mind, my opinion and experience. its not possible for me to guess what the other person is thinking of. you have let your feelings known! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

there is definately missunderstandings going on if you think there is no respect from me. i respect individuals. i dont think its bad to try and promote an alternative viewpoint.

this is my character, some people get on with me. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by beach

Picola i think you should go for the 60mm drop, you will only regret it in the long run if you don't, and is that a palm tree in your drive way?! How cool!

Oh and beach, have you been smoking the green? Or cooking some mushrooms, your mental! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by Adam

Meaning of life is 42 wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I was originally planning to go 60mm via Weitec suspension kit, on the previous 175/55 R14. However these are 165/65 R14. The extra depth makes me wonder if 40mm will be a nice height to stick too. Or wil it still be too high?

What are peoples opinions. Does anyone have any pics to help make my desision?

I do have a concern that the 65 profile may indeed foul the arches on a 60mm drop. Could you not swap over the 55's? Or better still, get some 195/45/14 (look at Paulbins Lupo for an idea).

But as others have said, 60mm is the way to go. 40mm is abit of a waste of time IMO as you don't really notice it as "lower".

Here's mine (taken by Altern8 at this years E38)

Its 60mm on 195/45/15.

@Beach, if you have no personal experiance with lowering a lupo, your reasoning is on some what shaky ground.

what width are the rim of the wheels? if its wide enough 195/45/14 tyres would be nice.

Picola i think you should go for the 60mm drop, you will only regret it in the long run if you don't, and is that a palm tree in your drive way?! How cool!

Oh and beach, have you been smoking the green? Or cooking some mushrooms, your mental! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

some green would be nice but maybe i'm just mental.

So:

Question: what profile are your 175 14s? and what make?

Ray

Goodyear, and one is a cheapo effort

Ramierez- I have that worry too, but I didnt want to go buying 4 new tyres, if the new height were to be ok. I also wanted to, and have, sold my previous set complete with tyres.

Once I have the new suspension, I will try it out, if there is indeed some rubbing, then I will have to purchase some more tyres.

I do prefere the lower profiles, to an extent, but we'll see how it goes! I also want to spend this months pay check on various other things! Spend spend spend!

Edited by Picola

Mate - you wouldn't be the first person to dislike him... Not by a long shot !

I agree with the majority!

I've got 45mm drop and while its nice, I want more blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Go for 60mm! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I had an 80mm drop on my MK2 Golf with matching shocks, and to be honest it was slightly firmer than the Arosa's 45mm drop but not that much more in my opinion. If you're going to lower a car, I say do it properly! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by g-man85

9 times out of 10 it will only be the GTI that has a different kit listed to any other models, if in doubt about a particular kit just ask Im sure someone will know the answer! In answer to your original question 60 mm is definately the way to go, 45mm just doesn't look like that much at all. And just so you know, after looking at Adams car (Ramirez) last night I think we agreed his has dropped more like 80mm than 60mm, so you wont be scraping the tarmac quite like he does tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

And just so you know, after looking at Adams car (Ramirez) last night I think we agreed his has dropped more like 80mm than 60mm, so you wont be scraping the tarmac quite like he does tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

whistle.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":whistle:" border="0" alt="whistle.gif" />

If you ain't scrubbin' you ain't dubbin'

Thanks senor's. I went for the 60/60mm Weitec suspension kit from Dubmeister (ultra gt).

I had my plates come from there within 2 days,so fingers crossed they will be here on Saturday, so I can have them on.

There was an option for TDI, but it was a 50/35 drop. No thanking you!

Edited by Picola

I bleedin' hope not! You've made me paranoid that the tyres will be too deep for the settled height.

Im excited though, too long has it been in the air. Fed up of using my oxygen mask when driving.

Nah serioulsy, I canny wait!