How do I deactivate the passenger airbag?

Vixwagen

There is not an easy way of doing it.

Well there is, but it involves taking the car into your local dealer and have them do it.

There is a thread of mine somewhere when I asked the same question that has all the answers.. just cant find it yet!

Still cant find it sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Edited by Tigz

you need to take ur car to a dealer and have them do it properly, as there are insurance issues to deal with too! you are legally obliged to tell people you have deactivated it. i believe from memory, that the kit is around £20

Isn't there usually a keyhole to switch it on or off in the glove box on the door?

No its a VW.

They wouldn't make it as simple as that.

The £20 kit includes a resister although I cant for the life of me remember the size.

What ever size, its an expensive resister!

it includes the registration forms that go to vw to inform them that the airbag has been deactivated. this is a legal requirement as far as i know!

Thanks guys - may just be easier to have the baby in the back then?

Easier just to not have the baby, but I'm guessing that's not an option? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Not just get some one with vagcom to turn it off?

Nope, can't disable airbag stuff for safety reasons.

Thanks guys - may just be easier to have the baby in the back then?

you having a 'lupo' birth then hun?? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

it includes the registration forms that go to vw to inform them that the airbag has been deactivated. this is a legal requirement as far as i know!

The last time airbag deactivation issues came up here at work for one of the staff, the following was advised by Equity Red Star. It should be noted that this was a couple of years ago.

There is no legal requirement for any vehicle to have an airbag. There is no legal requirement to tell anyone that you have one deactivated. VW and many other dealers cak it if you want them to deactivate an airbag if there isn't the driver choice to do so (key); they feel that they will be liable (claim culture) for any injuries caused to a vehicle occupant where an airbag would have made a positive difference. Any passenger injured in a motor vehicle is entitled to claim against the insured under third party rights, airbag or not. A faulty airbag is a different kettle of fish as far as manufacturers are concerned though.

However, the modification to an airbag system is a modification and as we all know insurers need to be advised of ANY changes to a factory issued vehicle so that they can reassess the risk to them. A baby killed by an airbag that hasn't been deactivated is the last thing they want, so airbag deactivation rarely causes an issue.

Check with your insurers first, then go to VW if they are happy. A DIY solution is not worth the risk of the bag going off when it's not needed.