Crazy brakes! Can anyone figure this out?

pietch

What happens:

Higher speeds (60+) under harsh/ emergency breaking the car twists. It seems to want to turn left.

I understand that the breaking circut is split into two diagnoal systems, front right with rear left for example.

But it feels like this is not the case?

Either way the problem does not occur until you break at higher speeds?

Could this be a suspension issue? Chcked and shocks which are not leaking and return correctly. Also break pads have life!

I know that I heard a clunk while going around a roundabout swiftly from the front left, could a bush have failed?

Help appreciated on this one!

If your hitting them that hard (the brakes) there is a possibility your managing to almost lift the back end up enough to render the rear end pointless from a grip point of view. If this is the case all the cars weight will be transfered to the 2 front wheels, & under those sort of forces the wheels will follow (track) any dips/bumps/ curvature in the road. Most roads if not all wil curve off to the kerb (Left) for water drainage reasons, which might explain the veering to that side.

Best cure is get up to around 70 (motorway/ dual carraigeway of course) and simultaniously let go of the wheel and brake hard. My guess is you won't have to worry about your brakes any more = problem solved

Edited by BridLupo

If your doing speeds of 60+ and your braking very heavily it's a common feature of the GTi to get very twitchy, the back end of the car doesn't have much weight and all the momemtum shifts forward when braking really hard, it feels a bit like the back end is wandering a bit. Unless your cars almost swerving when your braking i wouldn't worry about it too much, i've spoken to other people about this and it seems to be common like the clunk from the steering wheel.

Some possible options:

1. Brakes on RHS front may be sticking slightly meaning that more braking is applied to the LHS front pulling the car to the left.

2. A failed LHS front shock absorber would cause the car to dive on that corner when braking heavily pulling the car to the left.

3. A loose LHS front suspension component could allow the LHS front wheel and hub to move backwards slightly as the brakes are applied which effectively applies slight left hand steering effect to the car pulling the car to the left.

4. Also if the tracking was slightly out it could unsettle the car under braking.

Final points

6. As already mentioned the Gti does get a little unsettled when braking really hard as there is little weight at the rear and little rear overhang to provide a turning moment to oppose the dive effect as the car rolls around the front axle under heavy braking (think of the front axle as the pivot of a see-saw and when you break hard it is like sitting on the front of the car and the car then acts like the see-saw with a diving motion to the front).

7. Remember that the problem could also be occuring at lower speed with smaller braking inputs from you but the higher the speed and the harder the braking the more the problem is magnified until a point when it becomes noticable.

8. Very unlikely but if you do most of the driving on country roads that camber off towards the verge, then when you brake the car will move to the left due to it following the road camber...mine does this with steep cambered country roads due to the ride height and camber I run.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

Get the same problem under hard breaking as a few have said I put it down to all the weight and forces being exerted to the front of the car and the back almost becomes weightless thus causing it to become a little twitchy, I just think the GTi is a little twichy in all aspects because its so small and light rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

What happens:

Higher speeds (60+) under harsh/ emergency breaking the car twists. It seems to want to turn left.

I understand that the breaking circut is split into two diagnoal systems, front right with rear left for example.

But it feels like this is not the case?

Either way the problem does not occur until you break at higher speeds?

Could this be a suspension issue? Chcked and shocks which are not leaking and return correctly. Also break pads have life!

I know that I heard a clunk while going around a roundabout swiftly from the front left, could a bush have failed?

Help appreciated on this one!

I'm getting the same thing at the moment, car feels like its twisting to one side during heavy braking, stripped the brakes and found the left side caliper piston is sticking on slighty but also not pushing when the brakes are pressed. Going to try bleeding the system but think i'll probably have to get the caliper replaced ?

Edited by Dan_F

I think it may be suspension related… I am fitting Lupo GTi shocks and sprinks next week to my TDI to see if it helps, I am pretty sure that they react differently?

TIGZ: You said: “If you have a spare wheel fit it to each of the front wheels and test it again.”

Why would this make a difference?

MAX69: You said: “If your hitting them that hard (the brakes) there is a possibility your managing to almost lift the back end up enough to render the rear end pointless”

I agree however I have checked and it does occur subtly at low speed too – I did not notice this before. It really becomes apparent @ 60+ MPH.

diamondblack: You said: “Unless your cars almost swerving when your braking i wouldn't worry about it too much”

It is at higher speeds.

Linconshirelupogti: You said:

“7. Remember that the problem could also be occuring at lower speed with smaller braking inputs from you but the higher the speed and the harder the braking the more the problem is magnified until a point when it becomes noticable.

8. Very unlikely but if you do most of the driving on country roads that camber off towards the verge, then when you brake the car will move to the left due to it following the road camber...mine does this with steep cambered country roads due to the ride height and camber I run.

The car does twist to the left. The tracking has been done. It twists the same way no matter what the camber of the road. You were right, it does occur at lower speeds subtly.

TY: You said: “Get the same problem under hard breaking as a few have said I put it down to all the weight and forces being exerted”

I think your problem is different.

Dan F: You said: “I'm getting the same thing at the moment, car feels like its twisting to one side during heavy braking, stripped the brakes and found the left side caliper piston is sticking on slighty but also not pushing when the brakes are pressed. Going to try bleeding the system but think i'll probably have to get the caliper replaced”

Let me know how it goes with the repair. I will let you know if new suspension and spring fixes problem.

Edited by pietch

"4. Also if the tracking was slightly out it could unsettle the car under braking."

I had the same "diving to the right, twitching" under heavy braking on my old MK3 Polo GTi, though in additon when you booted it it pulled across the road.

No 4 above sorted the problem.

edited to say: ignore me we posted at the same time.

S! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Silver!

Another thing I forgot to say was that have you checked your front tyre pressures are the same?! So simple yet it makes such a big difference to how the car will handle & brake.

TIGZ: You said: "If you have a spare wheel fit it to each of the front wheels and test it again."

Why would this make a difference?

If your wheel is buckled it could cause your car to pull when brakeing.

All I'm saying, is my Polo has a screwed rear brake cylinder and it's causing similar problems. That's not to say your issue is guaranteed to be exactly the same. I think LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI covered all of the possibilities!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I fitted new GTI suspension and springs and did tracking again (car is much nicer to drive now!), anyway the problem is about 90% gone due to the stiffer setup, however I know know that my front left anti roll bar bush has failed and presume this is the problem.

Where can I get this bush online and other parts for my car?

Thanks