welding the boot shut

Arun

if i was to weld the boot shut, remove the hinges and all locks etc. and smooth it in; would there be gains other than making it look smoother?

like possibly making it stiffer? less body flex?

or weight saving?

also can anyone think of any cons? (other than the obvious lack of acess)

it would also get rid of that annoying squeak from the hinges

Arun have you been looking at a certain magenta Vauxhall corsa?

Its a nice mod if done properly and the rest of the car done to match but youll add a lot of weight id imagine as it would need welding solid or the filler skim would crack as soon as you went round a bend, as i say the car would have to be pretty mental to carry it off

wayne

if i was to weld the boot shut, remove the hinges and all locks etc. and smooth it in; would there be gains other than making it look smoother?

like possibly making it stiffer? less body flex?

or weight saving?

also can anyone think of any cons? (other than the obvious lack of acess)

it would also get rid of that annoying squeak from the hinges

its lighter to leave it as is, the welding needed and plating would weigh as much as the bootlid itself if done properly. It would however make the shell stiffer but probably crack the glass too, fit a cage to stiffen it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> wtf laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Its only a lupo, why does it need to be stiffer confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Wont make getting to the spare wheel easy either laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

IMO it would look stupid! You would still have a gap round the lights and bumper! Plus you would have no access to the boot other than through the front doors!

Plus if you got hit in the ass, would take the roof with it!

hmm, i did think of it just for looks, was really just wondering if there were any big flaws/downsides to the idea

like this

if you got hit in the ass, would take the roof with it!

or this

it would look stupid!

probably not the best idea then.

wayne- i had forgoton about that corsa- the metal flake one with the jag headlights?

not particularly my taste but i did like the idea of the petrol cap hidden behind the rear light

ok, so this definetly aint happening, cheers smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Beat me to it Pete!!

And me. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Glad you decided against it Arun. It would be about as sensible as putting money on Crouch to win the Golden Boot at the World Cup. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Would also be a bit of a C-nut trying to change the tail light bulbs wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />