Right, thats it, I'm leaving!!

lunalupi

On the news tonight, a report on road charging.

Now I'll admit to not listening totally (interesting posts on clublupo were distracting me), but this subject always gets my back up mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

I pay road tax, fuel tax, road tolls, keep my car serviced so its not coughing out soot and polution....and now they want to charge me for being on the road too.

Let me tell you Mr Tony Blair, I will not be doing as you suggest and using public transport until there is actually deecent transport to take.

A bus into the centre of town (5 mins in my car) costs me £4 and can take 30 minutes.

To get to uni at leicester (2 1/2 hours) I have to take three different trains, taking me over 5 hours in total, to a train station which has sporadic links to my uni, so lets add at least an hour for that making it 6 hours at least.

This does not make me want to take public transport, especially since I just went to america where the bus arrived when it was meant to, cost $1.50 anywhere and took barely any time at all. And that in a country which loves its cars.

At least this isn't expected for at least a decade, but once its arrives, I'm off. I'll go pay my taxes to a country which actually does something with them rather than pay MPs who don't do anything nice big salaries mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Excuse the rant blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> just needed to get it out of my system

in richard hammonds words , " the point the government dont seem to get is that the reason why we have congestion , is because we all need to be at the same place at the same time"

that as well as there busy saying , oh use public transport . the only bus that leaves where i am to town where i go to uni is at 8.45am , and at rush hour it takes 45mins to get to town which is useless to get into town for 9 . then that means i need to take the car cause its the only option i have left ARGH!!!!

i feel the same amount of anger, England is in my opinion a proper ***** country, and its just getting worst every single day.

goto australia, i hear from a couple of relations tht i can expect almost double the amount of money for the job i do plus the price of living is estimated at just over half of what it is here. ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

I don't know where to go yet - I was thinking canada as I have lots of friends and relations over there. the job i want to do I reckon i could do anywhere with a phone and internet connection smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Calming down now, its not being brought in tommorrow.....

Instead of making public transport better, they make driving your car harder, with speed bumps, one-way systems, no right turns, etc. It takes me about 20 minutes to drive to uni every day, which costs me around £3 at the most, there and back. I once didn't have my car, I had to walk 10 minutes to the train station, wait over 30 minutes for a train, and once off the train had another 10 minute walk to get another bus to have another 10 minute walk home. In all it took almost 2 and a half hours and cost me well over £3 one way. Why on earth would I want to use public transport?

It's even worse when more people are included. In a car, it costs roughly the same amount of money to carry one person as it does 5, on a bus or train it's 5 times as much.

As soon as they make public transport that is cheap, on time, and practical, then I will start commuting to Uni, until then, my Lupo stays for Uni trips. Why can't Tony and his Cronies realise this?

Well you lot voted them in! coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

goto australia, i hear from a couple of relations tht i can expect almost double the amount of money for the job i do plus the price of living is estimated at just over half of what it is here. ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />
petrol in oz is apparently on 47 or 49p a litre

Would you want to though, its full of Australians.

Road charging is a touchy subject, I agree that if we are asked to pay another tax for driving a car then thats not on but if they didn't tax on this then it would just get added onto something else; alcohol, income tax, or raise the VAT.

The money has to come from somewhere, if you really want to do something about it then sort out some of the people claiming benefits that cheat the system and all the other free government handouts that go out in the millions.

Personally, I'd pay a bit of road charging if it meant that it was like US toll roads and these operated effectively, were empty and really did cut congestion. I'd also pay it if it meant that toll roads were unrestricted wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

You know they would be the same shitty roads though, I doubt paying for them would improve their quality.

The extra money raised would just fund the stupid war in iraq, MP's pensions and pay benefits for illegal immigrants etc

you're forgetting the VAT on buying a car, and buying petrol... so we're already taxed FIVE TIMES for driving (road tax, fuel tax, insurance tax, vat on car, vat on fuel)

mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

you're forgetting the VAT on buying a car, and buying petrol... so we're already taxed FIVE TIMES for driving (road tax, fuel tax, insurance tax, vat on car, vat on fuel)

mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

I refer you to the lyrics of Taxman (The Beatles), "It's 1 for you, 19 fo Me"....

Cliff 'em all that's my attitude to these parasites...

Thing is though we get this lot out, someone else comes in, the motorists may not lose out so much but we're bound to in some way or another.

All the political parties are as bad as each other if you ask me. We're always in a no win situation.

To get to uni at leicester (2 1/2 hours) I have to take three different trains, taking me over 5 hours in total, to a train station which has sporadic links to my uni, so lets add at least an hour for that making it 6 hours at least.

But isn't it like a six hour journey twice every semester. It's not like you'd commute twelve hours a day? 6 hours to a University a few times a year doesn't seem that big a problem.

Would you want to though, its full of Australians.

haha, yeah but england is full of polish,asian,icelandic,russian, and well the list goes on, the worst thing is the majority sponge of our government and the taxes we pay.

with aussies, at least they originated from the english

with aussies, at least they originated from the english

Well they shouldn't have stolen a loaf of bread wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by aberdeen_dj

I vote..... Crusoe for PM

(only reason it's him is because he's the name after mine in the 'users reading this topic' thing... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />)

We already pay more if we use our vehicles more and are further penalised if the vehicle is thirsty through the VAT and fuel tax already imposed. On the other hand, I've been of the opinion that, if spent properly, road tax represents good value, even at £190 per year, and probably not actually cost effective to administer.

If RFL was scrapped and replaced by a further tax on fuel, to break even on my £110 per year Lupo that takes 28 litres of juice per fortnight, they'll need to add 15ppl (yes the Government get enough already, but they aren't going to reduce the existing fuel tax are they?). That would develop the RFL into a true tax by use and encourage a shift into more fuel efficient vehicles.

Then only issue insurance with a valid MOT certificate, and display a little ticket in your windscreen from them.

A doddle (insurance industry throw hands in air, complain and put premiums up).

couldn't be any worse than the current PM, increase speed limits, remove speed cameras, increase the number of traffic police and enforce the law on poor driving and parking. force slackers back to work, reduce unemployment tax credit things but increase for those who really need it. Have to reapply every year for all benefits etc. Free dentists, eye tests and grants for students

Edited by Crusoe

Like the manifesto Crusoe, except the student bit. Education after 16 is a personal choice. 16-18 education should be compulsory in my opinion, but after that, you're on your own. In fact, it should be "if you don't use it, you don't pay for it" for everything. Nice and simple.

Tory, moi? No, I like to think of myself as an ordinary bloke with uncomplicated needs and why should I bail out those who lead complicated lives?