Rear speakers on a lupo?

Evening all.

I am wondering if this is possible at all?

Ive put a gamma HU in mine so i have the outputs for it but i dont have any rear speakers?

Is it possible to add these in? Ill have to wire them up and change the door cards obviously...

Thanks

Mat shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Yes its possible but as Tigz has said before it kinda ruins the sound stage. Then again I know a fair few have done it and are happy with it. Im not really the person to ask laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> , im sure others who have actually done it will be along to offer their view.

i upgraded the rears in my gti by making a template out of 12mm mdf. difference is amazing! running 6.5'' JBL's at the moment, tho may downsize to a 5.25'' as they should fit a bit better

Rememeber music is recorded in stereo thats 2 channels not 4. The human ear is designed to hear sound at its optimum from the front not the back. Thats why I always recomend not to have rear speakers especally in a small car like a Lupo/arosa.

If you want to add something to your system add a sub and amp it makes a huge diffrence and can be done with a Gamma unit and add on lead.

i have my 6x9's running quieter than my fronts by 2 notches, but sounds well ballanced as a head unit has 4 channels after all and puts out the various signals for each speaker.

Rememeber music is recorded in stereo thats 2 channels not 4. The human ear is designed to hear sound at its optimum from the front not the back. Thats why I always recomend not to have rear speakers especally in a small car like a Lupo/arosa.

If you want to add something to your system add a sub and amp it makes a huge diffrence and can be done with a Gamma unit and add on lead.

i disgree small cars can have 4 speakers it doesnt make alot of diffrence, running a system with two speakers and a sub sounds very bare imho. and headunits have 4 channels for a reason wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> to be used laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by eXXXtreme arosa

running a system with two speakers and a sub sounds very bare imho.

Not using good componets and matching the comp amp with the sub amp.

My top 10 systems of all time, use one sub and front components only.

Sub bass is harder to pick up than your mid range, and even harder to hear than your high end.

Different systems, require different set ups, but as a rule, your sub amp wants to be three times as powerful as your component amp.

You could get a 4 channel amp, bridge (connect together) two channels to use for the sub, then use the remaining two channels to power the components.

I use two amps right now, but I need a third amp to power the tweeters, as my tweeters are 8ohm, and my mids are 2ohm so its starting to get complicated when it comes to setting up right.

I've been learning for the past couple of years, and can set up a basic set up quite well, not good enough for competition, but good enough for every day use.

When you start adding more and more speakers, you are increasing the set up needed to get it to sound right.

Not only is imaging for the fronts needed, you then have to worry about what the sound from the rear is doing to your overall sound.

Don't get me wrong, it is possible to have a system, with front and rear speakers, but you have to be a genius to get it all to blend together.

And TBH, in a car the size of a Lupo, and if you are going for a sub IMO there is no need for rear fill.

I would rather trap my family jewels in a big steel door then have 6x9s!

Simple rule to create a good sounding system is less is more!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Wadda!

Tigz thats awesome, TBH im pretty happy with the sound as it is, bit of bass distortion though at higher volumes so would like a bit of bass from the back to level it out a bit. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You lot have gone a bit OTT here! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I just want to know if i can connect a rear pair of speakers without an amp or anything. So straight off the Gamma unit. Im not into the really loud stuff or bass etc. Just want a crisp system smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yey at last!

lol

Many thanks tigz. What kinda speakers am i limited to here?

What would fit straight into the door pods? and door cards if i can find some?

i think only some cars have actual speaker holes, my 1999 lupo dosent

it does have, in the passenger footwell, a nicely sized but awkward shaped hole where a speaker could be 'custom' fitted. there is a small hole in the metal panel where a tweeter could go, but i have no idea how good this would sound???

as i said, this is just mine im pretty sure others are different

Yey at last!

lol

Many thanks tigz. What kinda speakers am i limited to here?

What would fit straight into the door pods? and door cards if i can find some?

16.5cm IIRC from when I was going to do this, but then thought its a lot of hassle for not a lot much more sound. You will just get an echoey effect, as tigz had said before the two woofers / tweeters in the front make a good sound anyway, you'll struggle to tell a major difference really.

Tigs: What would you do if you wanted to run with the system you described(components and one sub). But did not want to loose any boot space.... Or am i just asking for the impossible here??? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Are there anyother options?

Neil

if you want bass but dont want to lose space there are other options, a 12 or 10 inch sub (preferably free air and alolt of sound deadening required) in the spare wheel well, which will give you a nice bit of punch, obviously you can go smaller but the will have less punch, wont go as low cleanly and wont take as much power, but possible is a set of thin 8inch subs or some 6 inch midrange subs, mounted in a box under each or one of the front seats, it will take some work to find something that fits but at the end of the day nothing is impossible, and if you want a better sound rather than rear speakers you would be better off getting a set of two way 6.5 inch components or if you have the money and time to set them up correctly - 3 way components, 6.5inch in the door 3 or 4 inch in the dash and tweeters custom mounted by the mirror mounts (aimed as suggested by the maufactoror to get the best sound) to get the most out of the speakers you would have to use a good quality amp (the distortion from most headunits internal amps, even expesive ones mean you are never going to be as good as a proper a/b class amp) and then money permitting you could place speakers in the rear cards but i think that you would have to fibreglass them to make them more directional towards the front occupants and you need to set them up right to have the right timing and levels to not over power the front. The front sound stage is most important, and what size sub you use is very much dependant on what taste you have in music. End of the day you want something which will match your tastes, needs and wallet!

Edited by jthedriva