Brake judder!

My car has recently developed brake judder which i can feel throguh the steering wheel when i brake from over 40 mph.

It did have brake judder before i got the front brakes changed about 3,000 miles ago, but then it went.

Would changing the brake fluid help or would it not cause the judder?

Would it be worth changing it to find out? im not sure if its ever been changed, well not while ive had the car since the end of 2004 anyway and its now 3 years old with 32,000 miles on it.

Chris

Edited by cardaft

I had judder under braking when I fitted my 280mm brakes and very slight vibration when I hit 60mph which went once I hit 70mph.

Had the front wheels re-balanced and it disappeared.

Im now thinking that it could be the front wheels and not the brakes, because the vibration isnt through the brake pedal (as it was before i got new discs on it) its through the steering wheel.

But wouldnt it judder on the move aswel though? as it doesnt

Edited by cardaft

i had a judder through the wheel when holding it at 60 or 80, balancing the wheels sorted it out

Mine doesnt judder when im driving it only when im braking, i hope the discs havent warped again then as they havent been on long.

Mine are doing this as well. The car has only done 8000 miles, judder through the steering wheel under braking e.g from 60mph and also feels like discs are only gripping at certain points when braking from slow speeds e.g 10mph. I thought warped discs but my dad took them so work and put them in the lathe, they were fine anyway.

Sooo, by process of elimination it must be wheel balance (got 2nd hand wheels so my money's on that) or need bedding in confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> After 8k I can't see that being the case though.

Penry

wheel balancing will or should sort the vibration through steering wheel... is it when at constant speed or just when braking...if only braking then maybe brakes need cleaning??

I get it too - the garage checked and said the disks are warped.

All is well when I'm driving, but when I go to brake (especially when the disks are warm) i get shuddering through the steering wheel and pedal, same as you. I get it at low speeds too, but need to be braking pretty firmly

Mine are doing this as well. The car has only done 8000 miles, judder through the steering wheel under braking e.g from 60mph and also feels like discs are only gripping at certain points when braking from slow speeds e.g 10mph. I thought warped discs but my dad took them so work and put them in the lathe, they were fine anyway.

Sooo, by process of elimination it must be wheel balance (got 2nd hand wheels so my money's on that) or need bedding in confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> After 8k I can't see that being the case though.

Penry

I would have thought that if it was the wheels being unbalanced then the vibration would be constant when on the move

wheel balancing will or should sort the vibration through steering wheel... is it when at constant speed or just when braking...if only braking then maybe brakes need cleaning??

I think i might try cleaning the front discs next week to see if that helps any.

Definitely not the brake fluid causing the juddering, but personally I'd be looking to change mine given your mileage anyway, just for peace of mind.

Yeah i think ill get it changed soon as it probably needs doing anyway. Im not sure that it ever has been changed, but the fluid is over the maximum mark so it may have been im not sure.

I get it too - the garage checked and said the disks are warped.

All is well when I'm driving, but when I go to brake (especially when the disks are warm) i get shuddering through the steering wheel and pedal, same as you. I get it at low speeds too, but need to be braking pretty firmly

Thats sounds exaclty what mine does, i hope the discs havent warped though otherwise i will need to get new ones again sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Why should they keep distorting?

I had the same problem before i changed the original discs.

Edited by cardaft

I was recomended to go back to the place that fitted my brakes and ask for them to be replaced under warranty. Mine had only done 3000miles after less than 2 months when the problem started, so they told me i would have a case for warranty work.

Gonna try and get a different brand this time though, as i don't trust a set which damage that easily - maybe drilled this time as i have nice wheels to put them behind......

As for that article - i don't care if its warped disks, uneven wear or what....disks should last longer than 3000 miles!! and i want them replaced

Edited by lunalupi

As for that article - i don't care if its warped disks, uneven wear or what....disks should last longer than 3000 miles!! and i want them replaced

Yeah your right they should, and its not even that im always hard on the brakes either.

Alternatively if you know, or are friendly with any MOT testers ask them to put your car on the brake rollers for 2 minutes. If at a constant pedal pressure the needle fluxuates up and down then you have warped discs. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Yep that does sound like a good idea.

I have changed the front tyres and it still judders so atleast i know its not the wheel balancing.

Must be warped discs sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Will they get better or worse through use?

I'm not sure - Mine have been juddering for a few months now (i know, i know i should have got them looked at, but i wanted to be home so we could go to the local garage i trust) and they seem to go through times of being really bad before clearing up for a while...........

Still going to get them fixed when i'm back near the garage that did them

Mine are getting worse.

Ive noticed a knocking when i brake but it doesnt always happen and usually only when i brake lightl but it does it more in reverse. Could it be a loose calpier or something which is making the judder?

• 3 weeks later...

Im sure its the discs that have warped, my old discs warped and these ones have now which were only fitted about 4 months / 4,000 miles ago, is there any reason why they should keep doing this?

Edited by cardaft

Today the seat has had:

-Oil and filter change, after the use of motor flush, injecter celaner and gas treatment

-New front brake discs

-Clutch adjustment

-New brake fluid

and it goes much better now, feels like a different car altogether. It really picks up well now after the flush, and the brakes dont judder and the clutch feels much better, really impressed wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

But im still wondering why the discs are distorting and how long these ones will last ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Any tips of how to bed them in?

Edited by cardaft

I'm no expert but i'd say be gentle and always let the brakes cool down before parking up and don't hold the brake pedal when coming to a halt in traffic..... have a read of this website, it has some useful tips on how to avoid warping http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml (it also has links to the quick bed in method if you're that way inclinded)

Edited by Dan_F

Right thanks for the help smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I do tend to hold the brakes on at junctions so ill have to stop that and use the handbrake instead then biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Ill try that bedding-in technique aswel

Oddly enough, mine seem to be clearing up now... I only get a little vibration through now, or at least its not enough to pursuade me I want to replace them (especially not when there are so many other things to be done).

Would have been interesting to see if yours would have done that - but at least now you have shiney new ones biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />