LUPO GTDI

karl

I brought my lupo in jan 2001 as a import from motor house ( staffordshire ) at the time i could only afford the 1.4 s 75 bhp model , although it did have all the electric extras - heated seats .

At this time BMW had just released the mini and the new shape punto had also not long been about so it was a tough choice , but went for the LUPO as it looked quite sporty for a standard car .

I ran the car for about 10k then gave it to my sister as her car was just crap and unreliable , in the next few months she will be finished with it and i can't bring myself to part with it .

I have always wanted to mess about with it the idea of a LUPO with a bigger power plant sounds like a good way to go, as i may lose my company waggon soon due to a change in job i am going to need a good reliable car .

I phoned a friend whom works for a large salvage company and asked him about the various VAG diesel lumps, he had a skoda fabia v-rs which had done 12 k before a truck mashed it up sitting in the yard .

I was sold on this and gave a deposit over the phone so now i need to get the lump fitted into my LUPO .

Before the lump goes in i will be changing the blower so it can be re mapped to 180 bhp as soon as possible has anyone gone this route before ?

i am told that the 1.8 t lump that some of you people are dropping in has the same mounting points , where do you go for engine mounts + drive shafts e.t.c

All advice would be greatly appreciated , i am quite adapted to messing with cars at the moment i am putting a honda k20 a lump in to my lotus elise s2 .

The fabia vrs engine doesnt need the turbo to be changed to get 180bhp

Just a simple remap from somewhere like Jabbasport wont get you too far away from that figure

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Sounds like a nice little project youve got on your hands there

T

Sounds an interesting project. I might suggest you talk to 'devonutopia' on Briskoda.net - he's not long finished putting a PD130 lump into his PD100 Fabia. Sounded a bit of a ballache, but he's pleased with the results - went the whole hog with a hybrid turbo etc - result is 220bhp ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Just wondering on the complexities of converting the car from petrol to diesel though - you'll need a new fuel tank won't you, and some different plumbing? I recall Jason on Briskoda having to swap to complete wiring loom over on his too. Plus he had some unexpected changes to do...

Best of luck though.

Steve

I'm certain no-one in this country has actually done this before - others have though. There's a PD 1.9 Lupo in Poland that also has 4-motion! (They've used the exhaust channel for the running gear, and they also have no back seats! - side exit exhaust at the front).

So - it's possible, and would be impressive. If not possibly a little nose heavy.

Edited by bossjohnc

sticking a big diesel engine out front is going to ruin the handling of course, but I love the performance of the turbo diesels these days. My mums got a GTTDI golf and it goes like the shiits! If only they sounded a bit nicer...

I am a bit concerned about the extra lard of the diesel lump to help with weight distribution the batt will be moved to the tyre well, I shall also be fitting the aluminium GTI wings and bonnet although this will not make a massive difference its a start .

I thought the Lupo had the same front end as the old shape Polo which had the 1.8t lump droped in a the end of its life, if so this would mean that the engine mounting will not be as hard as i had first thought ?

Not too fussed about the wiring side of things as i mess with car electrical for a living .

...although it certainly depends on how much you're willing to do yourself wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

well i have had quotes from 3 different places.

cheapest i have found is 7k and that is a drive in drive out conversion using standalone management.

personally i just want to give them the car and let them get on with it, then collect the car when it's done.

Will be using the standard engine management and will be doing all the work myself , may need to buy in parts such as engine mounts , drive shafts e.t.c

Good on ya mate a Lupo Vrs sounds a top idea and i admire you for atempting it yourself although the elise sounds a nice project shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

now motorsave? is that near Makro as ive heard of it/been to it before and swear its near me? Kidsgrove?

Correct me if im wrong but the bigest petrol engine fitted to the polo was the 1.6 16v gti engine was it not? thought all the 1.8 T's were conversions?

sounds alot of money for custome shafts and mounts but its worth it and a fabia vrs is a quick car so in a lupo would be good laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

wayne

Correct me if im wrong but the bigest petrol engine fitted to the polo was the 1.6 16v gti engine was it not? thought all the 1.8 T's were conversions?

wayne

The Polo GT had the same 130bhp TDI engine as the Skoda VRS. When I was buying my Lupo I was seriously considering a Polo GT as the new model was just about to come out and I could get a brand new one for £11,500 (normally £14,500-£15,000)!

The Polo GT is the same platform as the Fabia vRS and our Ibiza FR TDi isn't it? I thought the Lupo was based on the MK4/5 Polo which didn't get the 1.9 TDi units, although the Seat Ibiza MK2/3 based on the same did in pre PD guises.

Having said that, weren't there a Caddy van and a Polo MK4 in one of the VW mags recently both with 150PD's in? Might be worth looking there for ideas.

I would recommend that you speak to allan fishburn at the golf centre in darlington. He has done a lupo with a 1.8t before and is looking at doing one in the future and was set to do a pd engine convertion but the customer changed his mind, but he will be able to tell you exactly what you need to complete the job.Also he does the revo Ecu remaps which in a vrs gives close to 190bhp without having to alter anything on the car as it is al done through the diagnostic port which makes it ynditectable to insurance companies. If you are anywhere near the north east there is a vw track day on saturday (29.4.06) and he will be there its free to go and watch.

looking at doing this myself into a mk1 golf. but what i have benn told is that you pretty much need a donor car, keys, dash, ecu etc as they all link with each other and the engine will not start unless this is done.

apparently it is harder than a 20vt project but different and the amount of torque will be crazy

any progress on this one yet?

wayne

erm no !

still doing the supercharged honda in to the elise , its working out to be expensive picked up my stack dash for the lotus cost 1400 pounds !!!

the engine sits in manchester in the fabia still as i need to visit and advise on what parts i will need .

well the elise sounds good though :evil2: any pics?

on the fabia if poss you could do with the whole front end from the bulkhead as then youve got an ide of where the mounts attach and how? your gonna need the whole engine bay loom, ecu etc etc

id imagine from the mini conversions ive recently been looking into that the most expensive single parts are without doubt gonna be the drive shafts purely because theyre gonna be custom and unless your a very confident welder your not gonna want to make your own smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

good luck with both ideas and while i remember what colour is your lupo?

wayne

Hi,

I did the same as you did.

Xmas 2004 I bought 1.4 tdi lupo sport great little car had it revo'd, I loved it !

Then 3 months went buy and I thought about more power.

Cut along story short, I part ex'd the lupo for a fabia 1.9 tdi pd100 of the same year.

Since then i have spent £2K and it's producing 181 bhp and 301 lb ft according to stealth racing rolling road today.

I agree it ain't got a great kudos, but my god it's a great 'sleeper'.

Best wishes

John

it's producing 181 bhp and 301 lb ft according to stealth racing rolling road today

I'd take 20 off that straight away mate, Stealth are well known for over reading by ridiculous amounts.

No, it's actually producing that power!

Had an acceleration runs with remapped fabia vrs running between 160-170bhp with the 6 speed box and my modded pd100 pulled away no problem.

To my knowledge Stealth has an 'accurate' r.road.

Lupo/Arosa club went there last year and nobody complained!

Best wishes

John

Nobody would complain though would they ?

Peoples power was massively up on the Stealth rolling road in comparison to other rolling roads used, So unless their was some form of atmospheric phenomena, they do over read by a margainal amount

One fast Lupo TDI (1.9) - just check out the quater mile time shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-Lupo-Timeslip-3642.html

Edited by Phantom Photon