Test drove a GTI!!

drummachine

It finally happened and im hooked - what i expected really. Didnt buy it as it was 8k for a 51reg Lupo GTI 37k miles and no air con but drove beautifully.

Considering there was 4 of us in the car i was amazed at how well it pulled and handled!! The best part was when i pulled out of a junction, a Skoda Fabia vRS came racing up behind me. So, seeing as my old man has a Bora 150 TDI and that is very quick so i thought i would give it a race. As it happened it couldnt quite keep up - went to about a ton. Not too much in it but enough to put a smile on my face seeing as there was a car full. Slightly worried about fuel range as im used to 450 average out of my 2.0hdi Pug and also the insurance - only 19 but its not as much as i thought!

So thats it now, all i want is a red one with air con and i want it!!

i checked out the performance figures for the vrs and it's 9.6 seconds 0-60, quite alot of torque though. don't see why the gti should have any trouble.

Ive just checked thespecs aswell, came up with 'Skoda claims 9.6 sec'. I'd have said that was more like sport territory, GTI shouldnt have trouble, 4 people might level it out a bit though.

Ive just checked thespecs aswell, came up with 'Skoda claims 9.6 sec'. I'd have said that was more like sport territory, GTI shouldnt have trouble, 4 people might level it out a bit though.

It would kick its ass once out on the move though.

It handles just as well, and from a drive in the VRS and a couple of passenger rides in the GTI the VRS feels much quicker.

I agree with Snoop and Andy, your forgetting that diesels aren't great at TLGP's because of their gearing and the engine characteristics. Once rolling though everything is a completely different story, the huge amount of torque they have means instant movement, a vRS on boost is a very capable car and i have no doubt it would be quicker than a GTi with 4 adults in.

Lupo would probably be slightly quicker initially in the traffic light grand prix, but after a short distance the vRS would be past. That torque makes a lot of difference.

Jon is the man to ask anyway. He's had both.

having test driven a vrs, i've got to say that i think 9.6 to 60 is way off

its definitely quicker than that but just not quite as quick as the gti

fabia vrs doesnt handle that well tho does it, remember it from top gear when it was against the mini cooper

yes, when it whooped the coopers ass

Edited by moreno510

I used to have a 6-speed GTI and now own a vRS.

As people have mentioned the characteristics of the engines are like chalk and cheese, in a drag i reckon the Loop would edge it where as the Skud is all about mid-range hoof!

Must admit, i miss my GTI like mad :-( Have to keep reminding myself of the 47mpg!