New GTI mods with PICs

Mike_M

Finished doing some mods to the GTI today, and thought I would share them with you as with some of them I have not seen on the site yet.............or I am simply blind door_pin1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

door_pin2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

2: Changed the rear wiper to the new Polo/Golf version as it now matches the front aero wipers. It does not touch anything and clears the spoiler.

rear_wiper1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

rear_wiper2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

rear_wiper3.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

3: Swapped the GTI badge to the left, like the Golf GTI

front_badge.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

4: Took one of the cup holders out and installed a storage compartment instead. I put the cup holder front plate on to make it more discret comp1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

comp2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

comp3.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

Very nice i particularly like the coin tray idea that's really cool.  However i wish my exhaust sat as high as yours did, mines got a gap of about 2inches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second everything you say there. How was the tray done?

Under the cup holder frame there are two screws that once out the whole cup holder frame comes off.

The trays simply slot in...............you will know what I mean when you see it.

You can get a front cap that does not have the cup symbol on it, but decided for the stealth look so reused mine as it just clips on.............bought my compartment off eBay for £13 delivered, but VW sell for about £26 +vat

Edited by mike_m

Very nice i particularly like the coin tray idea that's really cool.  However i wish my exhaust sat as high as yours did, mines got a gap of about 2inches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The exhaust does look better.

Got VW to adjust it when I bought the car biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The exhaust does look better.

Got VW to adjust it when I bought the car  biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was this much hassle?

All GTI's hang low for some reason biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

All they did was flex the pipes up. Once the exhaust was hot, a wooden block or similar with padding can be place between the car and back box to stop movement from the hangers.........then the pipes are gently flex'd upwards.

Job done!

Edited by mike_m

i got the door pins and the rear wiper mod too! easiest mods i ever done! lol! and cheap too!

lupo's looking good mate! nice work!

I've done the rear wiper, but mine just touches sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I think it's to do with placement of the spoiler more than anything, after VW resprayed it for the 4th or 5th time.

It's going to be replaced again shortly, so hopefully they'll get it right this time rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

There's some good stuff on the coin tray conversion here courtesy of Snoop.

looks great mike.

I love the subtle mods you always seem to find. Shame you can't replicate the MKV vw sign on the headlights as you did on the MKIV, but xenons are much better.

How about colour coding the rear badge next?

Did the car come from Caffyns Haywards Heath/Portslade? I remember seeing similar for sale not so long ago.

Edited by marc uk

looks great mike.

I love the subtle mods you always seem to find.  Shame you can't replicate the MKV vw sign on the headlights as you did on the MKIV, but xenons are much better.

How about colour coding the rear badge next?

Did the car come from Caffyns Haywards Heath/Portslade?  I remember seeing similar for sale not so long ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Marc

I got mine a few weeks ago from Caffyns Goring-by-sea dealer.

The rear badge is next on the list biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> and then the calipers as they have faded with addition of the VW decal in white.........similar to my old S3 that SEM took on before the Anni

Edited by mike_m

with the zorst, there is a clamp about half way down the car, this seams to somehow loosen up and then the tailpipe starts to sag, also something i noticed when i first got my Gti. I always used to think i like my tailpipes being so high up untill a few months ago ...

when took the turbo out (first time) i had to put original exhaust back in (for mot) and realised all you have to do is loosen this clamp (thats halfway down) and get someone to lift the zorst up and then tighten it again , its a bit of a turning motion when you lift it , it worked on mine anyway , back to where it should be smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

nice mods btw