Another Polo GTi thread..

db

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and it's priced at €18.950, make of that what you will.

At that kind of money it would tempt me away from the Fabia vRS, which is the performance bargin of the segment.

At that price I'd be seriously tempted, but I struggle to believe it'll really be that price.

At that kind of money it would tempt me away from the Fabia vRS, which is the performance bargin of the segment.

At that price I'd be seriously tempted, but I struggle to believe it'll really be that price.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Especially as the equivalent Ibiza FR list price is £18.690, it seems unlikely that the premium to have the polo, with more spec, is just €300. I still think that they'll price it at just under £16k

Edited by Diamondblack

Why did they feel the need to put a disply in the middle of an other wise horny instrument panel to tell you the doors open?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's all part of the FIS cluster... fantastic imo... does a lot more than just tell you the doors are open!

I hate to say it but I like the look of this.

You could fake any hot hatch in an afternoon, since all the body panels just bolt on!

You wont be faking a Lupo Gti that quickly. Every single exterior panel apart from the bootlid is different to the rest of the Lupo range!

And thats just it, the Golf Gti and Polo Gti are just too much like basic models with bits stuck on. The Lupo is so different, everything was thoroughly thought out to make it a Gti. All different panels, different suspension geometry, weight distribution (ie battery in boot and steel boot to add weight on rear axle), xenons, 6 gears. Until VW do such a thing again they will not start making real great Gti's.

Notice how all the most sought after VW's follow this priciple...MK1 Gti, G60, Rallye, that MK2 16 G60 thing they only did in 5door the Lupo Gti, the R32 (just).

Dont agree with you Darren, people are just too damn sentimental. I love VWs but .....

The MK1 was basically a GLi with a different engine, wheels and suspension. The MKII was slated as being a lardy ugly thing that didnt really deserve the GTI badge. The G60 was an 8v GTI with a supercharger bolted on but basically all the same car.

The MKII Rallye WAS special - a G60 with crazy body panels.

The R32 was slightly better than a crappy MKIV 'GTI' (VWs lowest point in GTI history)

...... and the Lupo GTI is a little bit special, but very much a one off and probably cost VW a fortune!

Seeing the new pics makes me like it more, lol.

Am I the only one who actually likes the retro seats? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I even like it in red. The style gives a more subtle, mature look to a hot-hatch than say the VXR Astra.

And if it's £15.5k I'll be very interested.

Might have the same bhp as the Foosty ST but it will be a whole different story driving-wise.

And if it's £15.5k I'll be very interested.

I'll be very surprised if it is that cheap.

A top of the range 'Sport' model new Polo is near enough £15.5k from VW as it stands today, i can't see the Gti being the same price !

I'll be very surprised if it is that cheap.

A top of the range 'Sport' model new Polo is near enough £15.5k from VW as it stands today, i can't see the Gti being the same price !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then why would they put it up nearer the golf GTI/R32 range?

Cant see it being over £16k tbh, competition would leave it dead in the water - it'll be priced to compete in some way. Other models will probably drop in price to slot it in.

Am I the only one who actually likes the retro seats?  smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I even like it in red.  The style gives a more subtle, mature look to a hot-hatch than say the VXR Astra.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I love em! bring back 16v rainbow style!!!

I agree with everything the zipmaister says that is a fantastic looking car and I will definately be on one! (Pleasepleaseplease let there be a raven blue one!!!) Hopefully it will be a very limited production like the lupo/polo gti of past! Definately on one of them!!!! I even like the tartan seats!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by gargoil

You wont be faking a Lupo Gti that quickly. Every single exterior panel apart from the bootlid is different to the rest of the Lupo range!

And thats just it, the Golf Gti and Polo Gti are just too much like basic models with bits stuck on. The Lupo is so different, everything was thoroughly thought out to make it a Gti. All different panels, different suspension geometry, weight distribution (ie battery in boot and steel boot to add weight on rear axle), xenons, 6 gears. Until VW do such a thing again they will not start making real great Gti's.

Notice how all the most sought after VW's follow this priciple...MK1 Gti, G60, Rallye, that MK2 16 G60 thing they only did in 5door the Lupo Gti, the R32 (just).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You were originally talking about bodywork, and externally the Lupo GTI isn't any more complicated than that new Polo GTI, the Golf GTI a Focus RS. The R32 was very much just a bolt on kit. There are hundreds of imitations out there.

If you want to talk about the mechanicals of the car...any 'sport' or 'comfort' model in the range will have completely different suspension settings. It's not just the GTI. And the Polo GTI and Golf GTI will have had a lot of development time for individual settings. The Polo will have had just as much (if not more) development than the Lupo GTI did. Just because the battery is in the boot doesn't make it bespoke...it just means the car they started with had shitty weight distribution in the first place and they actually bothered to try and even it out to prevent understeer. I'm sure the Polo doesn't need this as it's got more weight over the rear axel than the Lupo.

If you honestly will only wait for true bespoke versions of cars like the Beetle RSI or Golf Ralley, then you'll be waiting a very long time. They're very expensive to develop and have little or no return on the investment. They often only exist because the range is coming to an end and they need a sales boost. Believe it or not, tonnes of people will actually buy a normal Golf, just because the original R32 came out. They can't afford an R32, so they go and buy a Match instead, through some bizzare and ignorant logic that because the R32 was a good car, the Match must be too!

That new Polo GTI, will be just as bespoke as any current GTI or Sport. It'll have had just as much development as a Clio V6 or an R32 Golf. Just because it looks similar doesn't mean the just bolted bits on!

Inspect your tartan seats properly when you pick it up to make sure they were recycled properly

You wouldn't want to sit on the remains of that cheese and onion pasty from 1983 would you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm more of a kebab man myself!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

You were originally talking about bodywork, and externally the Lupo GTI isn't any more complicated than that new Polo GTI

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Relative to a non-GTI Lupo, and compared to the differences between a 1.2 Twist Polo and a Polo GTI, that statement is wrong imo

Inspect your tartan seats properly when you pick it up to make sure they were recycled properly

You wouldn't want to sit on the remains of that cheese and onion pasty from 1983 would you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed.

And you better get the 1st batch recycled from Mk1's before they have to use the old trousers from Bay City Rollers fans.