Another Polo GTi thread..

db

Well...I tell you what everyone. If you hate it and VW so much....why have you got VW? Go and buy a Vauxhaull Corsa next time. I'm sure that will be a massive improvement.

And also....how can anyone say that VW aren't making drivers cars and it's all about the $$$$. Of course it's all about the bloody money....VW is a massive company in the business of making money. By your logic, if a company looses money, it should be making great cars! It's no different to any other car company, whether it's Fiat or Ferrari! VW are making drivers cars now. The Golf GTI is considered the best hot hatch you can buy by 99% of the motoring press, Autocar have just tested the new R32 and given it 4 1/2 out of 5 and if you read any article about the new Polo GTI it will say that it's handling is massively entertaining (based on driving test car).

Furthermore...saying it doesn't look as good as a Polo cup is like saying the Lupo GTI doesn't look as good as a Lupo Cup. Of course the racecar will look better, it's got race suspension and wheels on it!

Sorry to be so argumentative about this, but I think so many people here are wildly jumping to conclusions about a car they've only ever seen on some bad photos of it on a transporter (remember this means it's probably got wedges in the springs to raise the ride height so thy can get it off and on the transporter) and have never driven. It's another performance VW for christs sake! Be happy for once and give it a chance.

Edited by ArosaMike

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Golf is a very big car though.

If the Polo was sold with the same engine and box, Id have one.

But 150bhp?

Jesus, Ford are even doing better than that!

yes it can be tuned, but who wants to spend £16k+ for a 'GTi' that needs tuneing straight away?

Im sorry, they havn't tried.

Looks too much like last model Polo, with some Lexus lights and Golf front end.

Need to try harder imo.

I didnt buy my car because its a VW, Im not a brand snob, I bought it because nothing else came close to the quality of the Lupo.

Still rather have a vrS Skoda and save £6k

Edited by Tigz

Well, I like it & personally cant waith to see how the 1.8T is in the more spritely (than the golf) Polo.

I think its a massive step forward for VW to put this engine in a smaller car.

Yes the Fiesta ST has 150 BHP, but it wont have the same quality or torque.

The new polo GTI is definately a car I'm interested in. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

but who wants to spend £16k+ for a 'GTi' that needs tuneing straight away?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry bud.

Still not convinced.

Mini Golf.

Great.

Remembering (again) it wieghs the same as a mk4 Golf.

Edited by Tigz

Sorry bud.

Still not convinced.

Mini Golf.

Great.

Remembering (again) it wieghs the same as a mk4 Golf.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im with Tigz all the way. bang on the mark IMO, and yes Mini Golf.

Alfie twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

im not convinced.....vw need to pull their finger out IMO. its nice i suppose but not stunning and im sure will have some ridiculous price tag.

lets face it the lupo GTI is a one off....will VW ever proce another GTI with a one off body just for that model using alu panels and adding all the neat touches like xenons, re-locating the battery, and central exhaust?

Why would they when it didnt sell but sticking a bit of black paint & red piping, the 'old' 1.8T and golf-eque wheels definately will. Bland sells, loook at alll the focus' and fiestas on the road.

im not convinced.....vw need to pull their finger out IMO. its nice i suppose but not stunning and im sure will have some ridiculous price tag.

lets face it the lupo GTI is a one off....will VW ever proce another GTI with a one off body just for that model using alu panels and adding all the neat touches like xenons, re-locating the battery, and central exhaust?

Why would they when it didnt sell but sticking a bit of black paint & red piping, the 'old' 1.8T and golf-eque wheels definately will. Bland sells, loook at alll the focus' and fiestas on the road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you'd be against a plain looking Lupo with the old 1.8T?

im just saying it will no doubt be overpriced and wont be 'special'

how many cars have so many quirky features as standard like the lupo GTI? ok it doesnt have a tuneable 1.8T but thats not what im on about.....

I dont even think the fact its got the 1.8T is that special now VW have the improved 2.0T in the Golf. Maybe if it had unbeleiveable handling, wider arches, some recaro's and a slightly de-tuned 2.0T Id be more impressed.

how many cars have so many quirky features as standard like the lupo GTI? ok it doesnt have a tuneable 1.8T but thats not what im on about.....

I dont even think the fact its got the 1.8T is that special now VW have the improved 2.0T in the Golf. Maybe if it had unbeleiveable handling, wider arches, some recaro's and a slightly de-tuned 2.0T Id be more impressed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you even know how it handles mate? No offence, but there aren't really any press reviews of it yet. I'd reserve you're judgment till it comes out offically. Don't count your chickens...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree mate - missed a chance they have....say8ing all this though and thinking about it makes me realise what a special little car the loop gti is - never to made again in the same or similar mould imo - all the more reason to hang on to them....

I dunno - for £16k I'd prefer a Lupo 1.8T 180bhp 6-speed to a CTR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

180bhp out the factory is a diffrent story.

But its not gonna have 180bhp.

Its gonna have 150.

Unless you wanna risk your warrenty (and lets face it, who would at £16k!) your stuck with it.

Its too expencive, not enough power, too heavy and you have to pay for xeons! (sp? Still cant spell it!)

180bhp out the factory is a diffrent story.

But its not gonna have 180bhp.

Its gonna have 150.

Unless you wanna risk your warrenty (and lets face it, who would at £16k!) your stuck with it.

Its too expencive, not enough power, too heavy and you have to pay for xeons! (sp? Still cant spell it!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

xenons biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Well, I've disliked the polo since the demise of the last GTI - and I (might be the only one) am looking forward to seeing the new one & the different options.

I agree - Recaros are a must.

And Xenons.

And a bit more power. Surely a remap that can be switched back to standard will be poss?

I'm usually the negative one - whats the bets after all this fuss that I think its crap when it comes out? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

16k id want a hell of a lot more than what i see in those pictures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

****** me.

We agree! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Well...I tell you what everyone. If you hate it and VW so much....why have you got  VW? Go and buy a Vauxhaull Corsa next time. I'm sure that will be a massive improvement.

And also....how can anyone say that VW aren't making drivers cars and it's all about the $$$$. Of course it's all about the bloody money....VW is a massive company in the business of making money. By your logic, if a company looses money, it should be making great cars!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

woah woah woah there!!!

back in your teapot!

dont be so damded blinkered, as i said, just cos its a vw doesnt mean its a cracking car..and before you come back with the "if you dont like it buy some other pile of ****" argument, i do like vw's...ive owned over 15 vag group cars, but that doesnt mean i have to like all of them.

thats like saying that if you enjoy drinking beer then you must also enjoy drinking ****ty 3rd rate happy shopper super strength lager.

just cos its a vw doesnt mean you have to like it, theyve made some shocking cars over the years, and being powerful doesnt forgive it looking like *****.

it has to be said that vw's styling department seems to have been put on extended leave, they get them in to design a car every so often, and then let some teenager on work experience design the rest of the range.

UPDATE

New pics nicked from Uk-Polos (which were nicked from UK-Mkivs 02_l.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

01_l.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

03_l.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

04_l.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

Now featuring the wheels from the golf, the burberry seats from the golf and the dials from the golf.

Not bad, I like, although the black trim around the lights is kind of naff, looks like a cheap model in red. However in black I reacon it'll look much smarter.

Love the interior, although I wish they'd given it the lovely steering wheel from the Golf, that wheel just isn't chunky enough for me.