Startup Noise GTI

Hi there,

I posted a topic a while back about a noise on start up for my GTI - sorry to bring up this chesnut again!!!! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I have since found that my warranty has expired so fixing the situation is going to cost me for sure now! angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

You were all very helpful (espc. Bossjohnc) i think i described it as a 'wine' but a 'whirr' is prob the best description!! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Anyways, it follows for a second after staring the car, it was suggested it was a starter motor prob (sounds as if it is over running for the second - worn bushes?) which (in my very un-mechanically mind) sounds about right...

Was wondering whether you guys have any idea how much a replacement starter motor should cost and how easy it is to fit / or approx costs for fitting? etc...

Any help would be appreciated, it isnt causing any literal problems just driving me a little crazy now and doesnt give the right impression to those around when i start the 'lovely little loop' up!?!?

Cheers!

haha this old one!

The part is around 60 quid (Lupogtiboy aka Martin will confirm), and labour should be about an hour, so budget 90 quid at your VW dealer for fitting alone.

My starter motor has made this noise for well over 20,000 miles and remains just the same..... i reckon its got years left in it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but this came up while I was looking for brake info.

After my car is started it makes a whirring sound for a second then a couple of seconds gap, then whirs for another second. It does this for a little while, long enough for me to start it up, get it out of the garage and then get out and close the garage door anyway. I can only really hear it from the outside.

Is this the starter motor problem you've experienced? I have no trouble starting the car.

Mine is doing it too... might do another Nicki-esque letter to VW, see if we can get this one FOC (I'm going to mention the fact I'm on my 5th brake light switch too...) shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

It's the starter motor. There's 3 securing bolts and a terminal to undo, then it slides off. Most car accessory/motor factor type places will know an electrical outfit that'll refurbish the starter motor for £30 or so.

It's a common fault on the post mk4 Golf era (same as the brake light switch). My Audi A3 used to do it aswell. Greasing will help, but it will need changing at some point.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />