First start of the day

Hulkson

Hello everyone,

Im a newby here and before the post would like to thank you for the forum.

Hi, have VW lupo  1.4 tdi AMF and the car doesnt want to start in the morning also don't hear the sound of diesel when turning the key as before. I cranck the engine and always after around 10 seconds the engine start and runs normal during all day. next day in the morning same story...prb started 3 weeks ago. It feels like there is no fuel pressure during the first crank of the day.

Have other issues with the car but not sure if their connect with this morning start.

Anyone with sames problems?

Thanks a lot!

23 minutes ago, lupo 1.7sdi said:

The VW lupo 1.4 tdi AMF does not have a fuel pump in the tank.
Remove the plug from the coolant temperature sensor (see the positioning in the picture) and see how it starts like this (after it starts, put the plug back in)

Essentially what I said. 

What on earth is that whirring sound then (for about 5 seconds), when the ignition is switched on? Sounds like a fuel pump, from the back of the car? Like, what?! And you can hear slushing sounds coming from under the car (fuel return cooler).

Are there different versions of the TDi? I've only ever worked on one, to fix brakes.

I dunno then... 

I do know that all SDI's have no leccy pump. They don't need one as the cam driven distribution (VE) pump has one built in, that can dry suck fuel through the filter to a height of about 10ft. Impressive actually.

Working backwards on a TDi from memory, the PDI injector pumps up to injector pressure. The booster or cam driven pump pumps up to about 3bar to supply the injectors. Then there is a filter then the tank. If the booster pump can suck from the tank without a leccy feed, I have no idea. I suspect it can, once there's fuel in the system. But dry??? Maybe that's why "some" have a feed pump from/in the tank. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The system does work without a pump unless it's ran dry.

My lupo had a pump, the TT has a pump.

When the pump didn't work in the TT it still ran for ages till I lost pressure.

Hello everyone, 

I checked the fuses and all are ok.changed the temp sensor and the car is the same.

Fuel filter gave me lots of problems this summer and the car was stopping constantly and after change the filter the car never stopped anymore however it does a ZZZZ sound sometimes.

Now I think either the filter return valve is not sealing and air is getting in or like Rich mentions issues with the pump.

Thank you for all replys and ideas

The fuel filter non-return valve T insert has two 'O' rings, to stop any air getting sucked in. Might be worth checking if they're ok. Or maybe even replace them. @Skezza did a write up on how to do that from memory...