Vw Up Timeline

lupo1.0se

After the annoucment of end of production and the thread y Mk2. I thought i'd make a handy timeline. This possibly may be a little incomplete. But something i put togther for reference purposes.

Vw Up Timeline

2007 – Vw Up Concept shown at the 2007 Frankfurt Motorshow.

2009 – Vw E Up concept shown at the 63rd International Motor Show Germany in 2009.

2011 – Vw Up GT concept shown at the 2011 Frankfurt Motorshow. Concept car was scrapped after the Brazilan motorshow

2012 – Vw Up launched in the UK Market with initial offerings being 60bhp and 75bhp engines. 3 and 5 door available at launch. Special editions Up! Black and Up! White avalaible on launch.

2013 - Vw E Up launched (1st Generation) with a 60kw motor, 18.7kw with a 99 mile range. Vw Rock Up and Groove Up launched (same engines as before)

2014 – Vw Street Up launched engines same as before but with 20mm lowered suspension

2016 – Vw Up facelifted all models. Up Beats launched

2017 – Vw Up TSi launched in the UK March 2017 with a 90bhp Turbo charged engine

2018 – Vw Up GTi launched in the UK Febuaruy 2018 with a n113bhp Turbo charged engine.

2019 – Vw UP Gti production paused March 2019 for unknown reasons (at the time). Vw E Up launched (2st Generation) September 2019 with a 60kw motor, 36.8kw with a 168 mile range. 75BHP and 90BHP TSi engines withdrawn from sale.

2020 – Vw UP Gti production restarted early 2020 (certain options removed from options list and price increased). Further information below on my thoughts on this. Covid affects production etc.

2022 – Vw E-UP (2nd Generation) order book closed circa May 2022

2023 – Jan 2023 production of Up Gti ended due to order book full. October 2023 production of the Vw Up as whole ended.

Vw UP GT concept car scrapped

This one is a bit of a interesting story. I cannot recall exactly where i saw this (might of been the up owners club). But basically the car went to a breakers yard in holland (i think), someone went in there at the right time and saw it there and basically stripped it and reintstated all the parts on his up. It did appear for sale at one point. Got a recent link - https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/buitenkansje-koop-de-enige-echte-volkswagen-gt-up-3385027

Vw UP Gti production paused.

So I knew all along this was not right. Dealers where stating wltp was the reason why the UP Gti had been withdrawn from sale. But yet at the same the Up Gti was test and PASSED said tests (See - https://www.shropshirestar.com/.../these-are-the-cars.../) and was still available to order in European countries when this was first announced. (As of 04/12/2019, the UP gti is not orderable new in any country). Also Japan had a supply of 600 3 door Up GTI’s (this I will discuss later).

This makes me and I am sure other people very cheesed off with Volkswagen’s attitude towards this. Volkswagen for sure knew that the last small Volkswagen Gti was the lupo gti, by the time this car has been launched, 13 years (that’s right 13 years) had elapsed since the last new Lupo Gtis rolled off the production line, if you include 5 door Gti of a similar size (Mk5 Polo Gti), you have to go back even further to 2001 when the last MK5 Polo Gti was rolled off the production line which is 17 years ago. SEVENTEEN.

Also with little market research (see howmanyleft for the Abarth 500 sales - https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93...). Vw could of easily calculated that it was potentially going to be a good seller as by the time the UP Gti was launched it only had the following rivals – Suzuki Swift Sport, Renault Twingo 110 bhp (or equivalent, I must add this is not sold in the UK anymore) and the Abarth 595. It likes having a goal completely open with no goalie and yet missing it (not the best analogy I know, but it is what I could think of).

It seems extremely short sighted of Volkswagen both Market Research and Production capabilities. On the discussion point that Japan is getting 600 up gtis. Again I see this as short sighted as Japans regulations means this comes under a category a car (like the Lupo Gti) which means in Japan there is tax incentives to go for one of these over say a Polo. Which follows onto this, in Japan between 2001 to 2005 they sold nearly 2000 lupo gti’s (1000 more than the uk sold in a similar period of time) and again as with the above have been waiting a similar amount of time for a replacement. With them also not getting a 5 door version as well, this is short sighted by Volkswagen as this could be quite lucrative for them.

End of Production

As for the end of production. Not unexpected. The model is essentially 12 years old now. They could of made them through to 2024, but I suspect it’s a two fold reason why this is happening.    

1.       Factory is being retooled at present for the new Passat (estate only)

2.       Euro 7 emissions regulations coming in which for small city cars are next to impossible to meet.

I would not be surprised to hear that the Suzuki Swift or the Hyundai i10 or the Kia Piccanto end production soon because of this.

Edited by lupo1.0se

Good write up!

It is scary that vdub haven't got any plans for a new small replacement car. Even the polo is bigger than the old Golf.

The ID series is getting a fair amount of bad press, so I really have no idea what's going to happen next. Maybe people will just stop buying vdubs?

I don't drive a vw, I drive an Audi now.

I even have the next one lined up.

The quality of the up/mii/go is crap.

They've been rusty for years and have no long term quality and durability like a lupo. 

• Like 1

Danno drives a VW and an iveco.

Becca uses her feet

I have driven an Audi for a while now, hence frequenting other forums.

But then I am on many forms of media under many different names and shall continue to be on this one as I have two lupos.

I need one less golf MK4 and then one lupos journey to daily and **** off begins.

• Confused 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:33 AM, lupo1.0se said:

After the annoucment of end of production and the thread y Mk2. I thought i'd make a handy timeline. This possibly may be a little incomplete. But something i put togther for reference purposes.

Vw Up Timeline

2007 – Vw Up Concept shown at the 2007 Frankfurt Motorshow.

2009 – Vw E Up concept shown at the 63rd International Motor Show Germany in 2009.

2011 – Vw Up GT concept shown at the 2011 Frankfurt Motorshow. Concept car was scrapped after the Brazilan motorshow

2012 – Vw Up launched in the UK Market with initial offerings being 60bhp and 75bhp engines. 3 and 5 door available at launch. Special editions Up! Black and Up! White avalaible on launch.

2013 - Vw E Up launched (1st Generation) with a 60kw motor, 18.7kw with a 99 mile range. Vw Rock Up and Groove Up launched (same engines as before)

2014 – Vw Street Up launched engines same as before but with 20mm lowered suspension

2016 – Vw Up facelifted all models. Up Beats launched

2017 – Vw Up TSi launched in the UK March 2017 with a 90bhp Turbo charged engine

2018 – Vw Up GTi launched in the UK Febuaruy 2018 with a n113bhp Turbo charged engine.

2019 – Vw UP Gti production paused March 2019 for unknown reasons (at the time). Vw E Up launched (2st Generation) September 2019 with a 60kw motor, 36.8kw with a 168 mile range. 75BHP and 90BHP TSi engines withdrawn from sale.

2020 – Vw UP Gti production restarted early 2020 (certain options removed from options list and price increased). Further information below on my thoughts on this. Covid affects production etc.

2022 – Vw E-UP (2nd Generation) order book closed circa May 2022

2023 – Jan 2023 production of Up Gti ended due to order book full. October 2023 production of the Vw Up as whole ended.

Vw UP GT concept car scrapped

This one is a bit of a interesting story. I cannot recall exactly where i saw this (might of been the up owners club). But basically the car went to a breakers yard in holland (i think), someone went in there at the right time and saw it there and basically stripped it and reintstated all the parts on his up. It did appear for sale at one point. Got a recent link - https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/buitenkansje-koop-de-enige-echte-volkswagen-gt-up-3385027

Vw UP Gti production paused.

So I knew all along this was not right. Dealers where stating wltp was the reason why the UP Gti had been withdrawn from sale. But yet at the same the Up Gti was test and PASSED said tests (See - https://www.shropshirestar.com/.../these-are-the-cars.../) and was still available to order in European countries when this was first announced. (As of 04/12/2019, the UP gti is not orderable new in any country). Also Japan had a supply of 600 3 door Up GTI’s (this I will discuss later).

This makes me and I am sure other people very cheesed off with Volkswagen’s attitude towards this. Volkswagen for sure knew that the last small Volkswagen Gti was the lupo gti, by the time this car has been launched, 13 years (that’s right 13 years) had elapsed since the last new Lupo Gtis rolled off the production line, if you include 5 door Gti of a similar size (Mk5 Polo Gti), you have to go back even further to 2001 when the last MK5 Polo Gti was rolled off the production line which is 17 years ago. SEVENTEEN.

Also with little market research (see howmanyleft for the Abarth 500 sales - https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93...). Vw could of easily calculated that it was potentially going to be a good seller as by the time the UP Gti was launched it only had the following rivals – Suzuki Swift Sport, Renault Twingo 110 bhp (or equivalent, I must add this is not sold in the UK anymore) and the Abarth 595. It likes having a goal completely open with no goalie and yet missing it (not the best analogy I know, but it is what I could think of).

It seems extremely short sighted of Volkswagen both Market Research and Production capabilities. On the discussion point that Japan is getting 600 up gtis. Again I see this as short sighted as Japans regulations means this comes under a category a car (like the Lupo Gti) which means in Japan there is tax incentives to go for one of these over say a Polo. Which follows onto this, in Japan between 2001 to 2005 they sold nearly 2000 lupo gti’s (1000 more than the uk sold in a similar period of time) and again as with the above have been waiting a similar amount of time for a replacement. With them also not getting a 5 door version as well, this is short sighted by Volkswagen as this could be quite lucrative for them.

End of Production

As for the end of production. Not unexpected. The model is essentially 12 years old now. They could of made them through to 2024, but I suspect it’s a two fold reason why this is happening.    

1.       Factory is being retooled at present for the new Passat (estate only)

2.       Euro 7 emissions regulations coming in which for small city cars are next to impossible to meet.

I would not be surprised to hear that the Suzuki Swift or the Hyundai i10 or the Kia Piccanto end production soon because of this.

The Up GT concept was being driven around Wolfsburg for a while by a senior member of VW staff, the personal car of chief technical manager Ulrich Hackenbergthough I don't know what happened to it once he was finished with it.

I' pretty sure the Dutch Up GT is a normal pre-facelift Up with a one-off UP GT concept body kit fitted to it. He has an Instagram page (@vw_up_gt), he was trying to sell it not too long ago..

2014 - mild update to the pre-facelift cars. Added x2 electric window switches in the driver's door, cords to the parcel shelf (I know right!), and boot light! Luxuries! Honestly, the window switches was a welcome upgrade, it's so embarrassing leaning over to open the passenger window! 

• 4 weeks later...