All UP! models to be discontinued over next 6 months.

mk2

23 hours ago, jon_273 said:

Have to disagree on the Up! being an improvement on the Lupo sadly. I have a 2023 plate GTI with 2,700 miles on it, it was delivered with a broken passenger seat height adjuster, the drivers side window mechanism collapsed and the glass would pop out of the rubbers, rear suspension rattles, dashboard creaks, there is an annoying turbo wastegate noise every time you lift off (which I don't think is normal but I need to try another one to see really). Not to mention lack of one-touch windows, no backlit window and mirror switches, abysmal headlights and rubbish ventilation, no bonnet strut, hard plastic door cards etc. All this for £20k. It has a boot light though which you never got on a Lupo.

I like the engine and it drives very well and is economical but it's annoying me too much for me to enjoy it at the moment. 

On my second UP GTI, 14 months ownership in total with 5K miles covered and no issues whatsoever. The Up GTI is what it is. My wife has just taken delivery of a brand new Polo GTI and at £30K, I am not sure its 50% better than a 20K Up GTI. Each to their own of course.

I'm on my 2nd Up!, the first being a 2013 High Up! with all the toys on it. It now belongs to my son, which apart from a lack of power (75bhp and not a lot of torque!), he is quite happy with it. I had no major issues in the 5 years I owned it, and so far with my son, it's been good. It's now on 83k miles, I bought it in 2014 with 7500 miles on the clock. 

My GTI is 5 years old in April, and sits on 73k as of today, and I love it. The remap has helped tbf, but despite the lack of illuminated switches, I don't have any major gripes with the car or how it performs. Side by side, the dimensions of the cars are identical, underneath they are pretty much the same too, so I don't really get all the hate they seem to be getting on this thread. As I've said before though, the Up is a great car, just not as 'special' as the Lupo, certainly in GTI form. The other Lupo I have access to is a 1.4S, and the Up compared to that is streets ahead, both in terms of equipment and dynamically. I guess on a Lupo forum though, there will be more love for the Lupo! 

2012_volkswagen_up_81_1920x1080.jpg

• Like 1

I had a 1.0 MPI Up for about 6 months and have to admit even as a firm Lupo fan, the Up drove better in nearly every way. Handled much better, better use of space in the body made it feel like a bigger car. Also fairly easy to work on for a car of its era. I'd happily take an Up as my next car if the Lupo is forced into early retirement.

• Like 1

The Up is a smart little car, with some nice features. I like the Seat and Skoda versions better though (different tailgates). The main thing that struck me when I test drove both the basic and the gti is that it feels lighter. It's not, but feels it. Jittery. I guess a bit like the difference between a mk6 and mk2 golf. The mk2 feels like it's glued to the road but doesn't handle as well as a mk6! Odd.