Free Lupo tow bar... GONE

GraemeW

Bought off eBay for £25 and never fitted but sadly my Lupo is heading for the breakers so needs a new home. One of the legs looks slightly bent (see pic) but might be that's how it's supposed to be so haven't bothered bending it straight. Also the previous owner tarted it up with what looks like black Hammerite (or similar) and they painted straight over the surface rust so bit of a bodge but it's rock solid and would no doubt clean up like new with a wire wheel. Free collection from Huddersfield or will post for a tenner. Cheers.

IMG_20230906_110812491.jpg

IMG_20230906_110840902.jpg

IMG_20230906_110858582.jpg

Screenshot_20230906-111649-257.png

Edited by GraemeW
Someone's said they'll have it

I did wonder if someone with a TDI might want it as a donor car. It's not going just yet, hoping it'll limp on till it's MOT nxt spring, maybe longer if I can't find anything to replace it. In any case i'll offer it up on here for cheap before I drive it to the breakers.

What needs doing? Maybe we can all suggest ways of keeping it going forever. I've only ever seen one running TDI.

When I dropped by my nearest breakers the other day, there was only one very sorry looking example left (completely stripped). I asked them how often Lupos or Rosas come in and the reply was about one a month. Used to be a few every month. My gut feeling is that we're coming to the end of Lupos. I certainly don't see them much on the roads anymore around here. They're becoming true enthusiasts cars now.

@Rich isn't a million miles from you if you do think of shifting it. He'd probably have a go at rebuilding it.

Edited by mk2

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

What needs doing? Maybe we can all suggest ways of keeping it going forever. I've only ever seen one running TDI.

When I dropped by my nearest breakers the other day, there was only one very sorry looking example left (completely stripped). I asked them how often Lupos or Rosas come in and the reply was about one a month. Used to be a few every month. My gut feeling is that we're coming to the end of Lupos. I certainly don't see them much on the roads anymore around here. They're becoming true enthusiasts cars now.

@Rich isn't a million miles from you if you do think of shifting it. He'd probably have a go at rebuilding it.

Pfff, where to start...

1) There's a heavy clunking from the osf... changed the bottom arm, arb link and cv joint so don't think it's those (although the rear bush looks tired after less than a year, serves me right for buying eBay tat). Could also be the wheel bearing sliding about; when I changed it I couldn't refit the circlip as the lip that holds it in place had corroded away, and as the hubs are shared with the GTi they're a bit pricey even 2nd hand.

2) It takes 2-3 goes to start when cold... changed the injector seals, temp sensor, fuel filter and glow plugs but hasn't helped (although has helped with fuel economy and no longer throws plumes of unburnt diesel out when you boot it). No light on dash so at a loss with that.

3) It's on its original turbo and cat and although the emissions are fine, at 135k i'm guessing they'll both need changing soon.

4) The front subframe is pretty badly corroded... not dangerously so but bad enough that it will need replacing in the next few years.

5) Both back arches are bubbling, and the bodywork has quite a few little dents here and there.

6) Sunroof leaks... had the roof lining down and it's def not the drain pipes. It's coming from the joints on the plastic frame but only in the winter so guessing the glue that holds the frame together is failing or maybe just the outer seal needs changing.

Other than that it's pretty good! Interior is very clean for the year. It'll probably scrape through another MOT (next March) if necessary but i'm reluctant to put much more money/effort into it. When I do get shut I'll def put it up for sale on here first, like I said it would make an excellent donor car for someone with a TDI.

Edited by GraemeW

So other than the usual wheel arches, sun roof leaks and the usual front subframe, it sounds like the average reasonable condition lupo. I've had to do the wheel arches on all three of mine. And the front subframe on one as it was like swiss cheese. Pics on here somewhere. All welded for the time being, but I have a replacement for that in the works. And then on to the other two that also need doing I suspect. Blasting and galvanising is the plan.

Like you say, the mechanical stuff is relatively easy. And swapping a front subframe isn't that hard, but finding a decent replacement one is. Scrapped Lupos and Rosas in Spain all have mint subframes, with NO rust at all. Just how to get them all sent over here??? The problem is that the subframes have no weather protection at all internally. They were just spray coated black. Inside is (was) bare steel.

Your TDI looks fab by the way :)

Yeah the mechanical stuff isn't too bad, and i'd be up for sorting those out if it wasn't for the rust repairs (I can't weld or spray). The subframe was the main thing that had me thinking it was beyond saving but maybe not if they're gettable from Spain. For someone who can weld it might be a good project, especially if the prices start going the same way as the GTis.

• GraemeW changed the title to Free Lupo tow bar... GONE
11 hours ago, GraemeW said:

One more won't hurt. If you're ever in Hudds call round for a brew anyway.

I do pass occasionally, thank you. 

10 hours ago, mk2 said:

The minute he sees it for real he's smitten... So many possibilities with a TDI.

You need it.

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

I do pass occasionally, thank you. 

You need it.

True. But so many things against for me. Miles away. No time. Have run out of space. All my car storage slots are full. I need inside space to do the bodywork. Plus points- the inside (the most difficult part to restore) is near mint. Dunno milage, but tdi gearboxes last forever. And AMFs are 'relatively' easy to restore. Haven't ever done a chain yet (should be changed by 115k miles)- i have one 'pending' in someone's polo TDI @155 I look after.

But like you, if I saw it down the road and it was going cheap, I'd probably bite their arm off.

30 minutes ago, mk2 said:

True. But so many things against for me. Miles away. No time. Have run out of space. All my car storage slots are full. I need inside space to do the bodywork. Plus points- the inside (the most difficult part to restore) is near mint. Dunno milage, but tdi gearboxes last forever. And AMFs are 'relatively' easy to restore. Haven't ever done a chain yet (should be changed by 115k miles)- i have one 'pending' in someone's polo TDI @155 I look after.

But like you, if I saw it down the road and it was going cheap, I'd probably bite their arm off.

Well you've convinced me to stick with a bit longer anyway, gunna sort the worst of the mechanical stuff, put it through another MOT (March), run it another 12 months beyond that. By which time they might be getting collectable enough that it will be worth someone sorting the back arches and subframe, and I might have saved enough cash for a nice ed30.

• Like 2

I did see the car in the flesh yesterday, it was quite interesting how the rear arches were shot as it was quite a lot different to how mine were rusting as  I’ve just repaired and I noticed my ‘Rossa’ **** guards are minimalist and therefore don’t hold the crud the Lupo’s do.