Steering problems

Hi all.

Tried a forum Search, but nothing with symptoms that sound like mine

The lupo has suddenly developed some strange steering issues. It has a mind of its own when going round corners a bit faster than usual and wanders on surfaces that aren't the best. I do have a knock over severe road surfaces.

Parts that I have replaced trying to solve this issue:

Both bottom arms, both track rod ends, both drop links, both anti roll bar bushes.

Now when I say the steering has a mind of its own, it's very vague in corners to the point where I have to steer more to correct the car.

I've tried to explain as much as I can, if I've missed any important info just ask away.

Hopefully someone has had a similar experience and how to cure it.

Strut top bearings was next on the list to replace. A bit more info though, there does not seem to be play in any component. Steering wheel is secure as I've recently replaced the ignition barrel due to a snapped key

Doing top mounts next. Springs are good and shocks aren't leaking. It is lowered and does have banded steels on but this is only very recently this problem has started to show.

What exactly do you mean by feel it throught the wheel?

Put some more standard wheel  / tyres on the front and see if it changes. If you have gone to stretch I would expect this sort of handling. Also banded steels weigh a ton and that wont do the handling much good either.

Edited by Sausage

I've swapped them back to a more standard side alloy. Didn't change anything.

Rich, would say mine feels loose. Halfway through a corner the steering wheel needs to be adjusted to actually go round a left hand bend and not into the middle of the road.

1 hour ago, QU1N Y said:

Rich,  Iwould say mine feels loose. Halfway through a corner the steering wheel needs to be adjusted to actually go round a left hand bend and not into the middle of the road.

I'd say you need to get your tracking checked and go from there.

Mine felt like it took more turns than it needed and I could feel that it had spots which seemed to do nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Thanks to this great forum I've got a lupo that steers in a straight line and does not follow bumps potholes and road camber. Wheel alignment was off after all, sorted now and she drives like a new car.

Just out of curiosity though, what pressures are people running in their banded steels? (If anyone's running them?) Standard pressure or higher? Tyres aren't stretched