Coasting

Y2ACP

Around here Huddersfield there are a lot of hills,a friend of mine will only use his petrol for going up hill and will coast wherever possible.He would rather buy disks and pads more often to (rest) the engine and save petrol.Comments/facts please.

Go the flat long way, or the short hilly way. Which is more economical. Discuss. 

Sounds like someone is doing the automotive engineering uni course.

Used to know an astrophysicist when i was young who would do this all the time and insist it was the best way. But he would floor it and coast even on the slightest gradient. Total fruit loop but you couldnt argue with him about it as he knew best. But suffice to say his driving was erratic and quite unsafe.

The engine at idle is using the same fuel as the engine on over run and in gear. Also you have greater control of the vehicle in the correct gear with engine braking than neutral or with the clutch down. I've done it in the past, but when you suddenly need to slow down and have proper control of the vehicle then gears is the way to go.

Engine off saves the fuel but you have no power steering and brake servo beyond one of two presses of the brakes, also steering lock if you mess up the key.

Use a switch, doesn't lock the steering.

Brake servos are for pussies.

Ditto Pas.

Google the golf ecomat, uses digiswing, two batteries and some electric aspects to take care of the above.

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Go the flat long way, or the short hilly way. Which is more economical. Discuss. 

Sounds like someone is doing the automotive engineering uni course.

Doesn't want to give his hard earned to the tax man,thinks it's better for the engine.

I just think life's too short to worry about that little difference in consumption really.

Plus I always found more entertaining to find out how much fuel I could make the SDi use :roflmao:

Edited by Blue Loop

Just got back from Kent today after doing about 230miles. Bad very wet driving (increased drag) but still managed 75mpg, based on the fuel gauge being in the exact same place as when I left, 14L. Relatively level driving the whole way.

And I even had the the little yellow jelly fish reminder light on in the instrument cluster.......

Nah, I left that at six.

Only so many driveshafts and dogbones you can do in the rain before you get sick and do the bare minimum to make it work so it can be moved.