Lupo GTI is it worth the wait?

Gtsixx

Hello, sold my 1.4S Lupo a while back had a few cars in between but nothing has stuck I have a Honda logo now like it a lot does all I need but I want a Lupo again now I'm older im going after the GTI so basically I've been waiting out for a low mileage anthracite grey lupo GTI for about 3 months.

I have made my choice slim by the color let alone the mileage, should I just get a more common silver/red GTI, then wrap it or maybe spray a custom color, I wanted the grey as its more rare and if I ever came to sell over the years that would hold value more I would think but they don't come up often at all and last one I saw had 160,000 on the clock ?

is it worth the wait?

Edited by Gtsixx

Your question is quite specific to you, therefore only you can answer it.

1. Is a GTI worth it? Whilst generally overpriced, I would say yes.

2. Low mileage vs high mileage? Always better to find a low mileage car, but the service history and general maintainence Is more important.

3. Is it worth holding out for an Anthracite? The cars are getting harder to come by, so if you want one for the driver experience, I wouldn't recommend limiting yourself by colour. If you see a good one in you price range with acceptable mileage; buy it. If however you are buying it to pay to park in a field and look pretty, then maybe you want to wait for your perfect match.

good luck with your quest.

Personally from having a TDI lupo for the last 10 years and recently adding a GTI to the collection. I think my TDI drives and pulls better. But the GTI has a much better top end and 6th.

he TDI has 177K the GTI has 82k. and to add the brakes on the GTI are flipping awful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silver! said:

Your question is quite specific to you, therefore only you can answer it.

1. Is a GTI worth it? Whilst generally overpriced, I would say yes.

2. Low mileage vs high mileage? Always better to find a low mileage car, but the service history and general maintainence Is more important.

3. Is it worth holding out for an Anthracite? The cars are getting harder to come by, so if you want one for the driver experience, I wouldn't recommend limiting yourself by colour. If you see a good one in you price range with acceptable mileage; buy it. If however you are buying it to pay to park in a field and look pretty, then maybe you want to wait for your perfect match.

good luck with your quest.

Ray, Lower Mileage vs Cost though? Entirely possible to save yourself a wedge by buying a well maintained high miler.

Did you read the second part of point 2? He did say service history is most important, so higher mileage would be OK as long as the paperwork backs up good maintenance schedules.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Did you read the second part of point 2? He did say service history is most important, so higher mileage would be OK as long as the paperwork backs up good maintenance schedules.

I did read it, but I was countering his point about lower mileage necessarily being the most desirable thing :P Keep your hair on Pete ;) 

At first I only wanted a Raven (or laser!) blue but soon realised this was stupid and actually really love them in the black. Personally I'm not fussed by them in silver but I think on the whole it's a good looking car regardless of colour. 

I'm not sure mileage matters that much, I went to look at a red GTI recently as on paper it seemed a bargain with low mileage but the body work was in such poor condition I doubt he'll ever shift it unless he lowers his price significantly. In my opinion that's probably the thing to pay more attention to.

All the comments have defiantly opened my options, I have been to see anthracite today but was scratched all over no service history few other things and was on steels nothing against steel wheels just seemed like a bag on nails 

going to hold out until my bonus in February and get one from performance point in Bristol 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, annavr6 said:

...and to add the brakes on the GTI are flipping awful.

You need a G60\280mm conversion.

I have Brembo discs, Tarox Strada pads, 5.1 fluid and braided hoses and it stops well.

39 minutes ago, Silver! said:

You need a G60\280mm conversion.

I have Brembo discs, Tarox Strada pads, 5.1 fluid and braided hoses and it stops well.

G60\280mm conversion I've seen done on a TDI too I think. Very useful modification.

19 minutes ago, mickster said:

I was going to mention these guys, the Japanese GTIs seem like they've been really taken care of.

found them a while back they always seem to have them available and always a long history with it 

6 hours ago, mickster said:

At first I only wanted a Raven (or laser!) blue but soon realised this was stupid and actually really love them in the black. Personally I'm not fussed by them in silver but I think on the whole it's a good looking car regardless of colour. 

I'm not sure mileage matters that much, I went to look at a red GTI recently as on paper it seemed a bargain with low mileage but the body work was in such poor condition I doubt he'll ever shift it unless he lowers his price significantly. In my opinion that's probably the thing to pay more attention to.

Whereabouts was this car? I'm thinking off making a significant journey to see a low mileage red GTI, just wondered if it is the same car? Cheers

No, it wasn't mine. I take into account all of the views on this thread but I have to disagree with the comments about the brakes.

Unless you're doing a ludicrous rate of knots and suddenly want to stop dead, then I've always found the brakes on mine to be

perfectly adequate. I think the other thing that we should all bear in mind is that the youngest Lupo you are likely to find will be

about 11 - 12 years old, add to that the fact that only about 1,000 were sold in the UK, many of which will have been modified,

crashed or scrapped then the quest for a Lupo in original condition with a low mileage becomes somewhat difficult.

As for an import, the only ones that I have ever seen do not seem to come with leather interior.

1 hour ago, teefourme said:

No, it wasn't mine. I take into account all of the views on this thread but I have to disagree with the comments about the brakes.

Unless you're doing a ludicrous rate of knots and suddenly want to stop dead, then I've always found the brakes on mine to be

perfectly adequate. I think the other thing that we should all bear in mind is that the youngest Lupo you are likely to find will be

about 11 - 12 years old, add to that the fact that only about 1,000 were sold in the UK, many of which will have been modified,

crashed or scrapped then the quest for a Lupo in original condition with a low mileage becomes somewhat difficult.

As for an import, the only ones that I have ever seen do not seem to come with leather interior.

Yes, I found the brakes adequate before, but they are ace now! Better choice of replacement disks and cheaper too. The only extra cost for the basic upgrade is the carriers.

I will 100% be doing a 280mm conversion at some point. The TDI brrakes though i cant fault, but then it doesnt have the top end speed.

It took 8 months of hunting for our GTI as we wanted un modified and raven blue, low miles, eventually one came up with 79K which is quite low for the year and all paperwork to back up the history, one owner for the past 9 odd years in raven and with air con. It does need a few tiny bodywork issues sorted and was missing its alloy bonnet but for the price we paid i cannot complain. If you wait long enough the right colour/spec you want will come up

If  you want to wait long enough you might find the spec you want but its getting harder as cars are now being kept more often, I think it's all about driving around with silly grin on your face after all, think of all the wasted opportunites A good car is never a bad colour and at the age GTis are you always buy on condition and mechanicals, mileage only reflects the service and maintenance requirements.

• Like 1

Tbh i waited for ages to find the GTI i wanted, i set out i wanted a high spec one that was completely standard and in mint condition ... (I've now ruined it completely) ... however i would recommend ignore the mileage as a number, look at the service history, a car that has full service history, looks well maintained, and is immaculate but has 100k id rather have that than one which has 30k but only a few receipts for wipers.

i would wait for the anthracite if you could do though, it will allow its value to hold alot more and thats just a nice thing to know, makes you feel like every penny you spend is keeping your investment safe!

Been debating whether to seel my lupo GTi recently as been looking at buying a TDi instead, 

specs for my GTi

2004 reg

mot until march 16 (only 1 advisory on last mot)

full leather interior, JVC double din stereo, audi tt knee bars, air con.

cambridge rear lights, bathurst alloys(need refurb)

standard engine, powerflow mid section, scorpion backbox/exhaust.

looking at pricing between 3-4k. Unsure whether im selling yet though as love driving it just wanting to save the pennies so TDi seems more sensible :)

There was a group of us on a CL Lupo road trip a few years back. I think there was every colour GTI in the group. At one of the stops, a well respected and owner of a "much decorated" Lupo GTI said to me; of all the colours, the silver looked best on the move.

...he said he would deny ever saying this as he had a Raven.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Silver! said:

There was a group of us on a CL Lupo road trip a few years back. I think there was every colour GTI in the group. At one of the stops, a well respected and owner of a "much decorated" Lupo GTI said to me; of all the colours, the silver looked best on the move.

...he said he would deny ever saying this as he had a Raven.

:lol:

I think people will always look at the other colours and think should of got that one instead, I really want a grey GTI but I think if I had one I would want silver or Raven blue one

Do you still do the odd road trips?