Grinding noise on my GTI

Had a quick search but found nothing exactly the same problem as mine. I went for a random drive tonight and as i was nearly home i heard a horrible grinding noise coming from the front right. It doesn't make a difference if i'm turning the wheels or not. It does it i coast in a straight line as well. Also when i rev it slightly the revs seem to drop very slowly. Does this sound like gearbox or driveshaft?

Thanks,

I get a grinding noise from both front sides, was told on my MOT that the ABS was cutting in and applying the brakes slightly, as when he tried it on the braking machine, it was locking up even as soon as he started the machine. No idea why though...

i had something similar..... Ended out being the Front drivers side brake was seized on and the passenger side was doing the same just not as bad! Ended out Getting new Callipers, Carriers, Pads, Discs and they were kind enough to chuck in free new brake lines too :D

if when you take your hands off the wheel and brake (advised to do it on quiet wide road) it pulls alot to one side i would reckon in my opinion brakes might be seized on

ABS sensors, come up a few times, had it myself, only from a standing start, but was a real horrible grating noise, plugged it in, found stored fault in osf ABS sensor, changed it and never had the issue again.

ABS sensors, come up a few times, had it myself, only from a standing start, but was a real horrible grating noise, plugged it in, found stored fault in osf ABS sensor, changed it and never had the issue again.

I have plugged my VCDS in and nothing came up. Definitely drive shaft was the problem

• 3 weeks later...

Also, check your wheel nuts. Check your hub nut too.

Edit to add: I've had brake pad separation before, where the friction material comes off the metal backing and then rattles around in the caliper, it sounded exactly like a wheel bearing gone.

Edited by Sausage