Crash Advice

tintin360

Hi,

Just looking for some advice.

On the way to work this morning and a Toyota Corolla thumped me from behind. I had braked as the traffic in front had stopped, the corolla driver had seen the same as me but reacted late, resulting in him running into the back of me.

As I got out of the car, I could see that the corolla has the whole front and bonnet caved in, so I dreaded the worst, as I looked at the back of my lupo, apart from the bumper being pushed in aliitle and a crack, I couldn't see anything.

Just wanted to know if these cars are strong at the back? They other driver wants to keep the insurance companies out but im not so sure, im worried that although it looks like minor damage maybe something underneath has taken the hit.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get it checked out properly by a qualified body shop and get a quote and give it to the bloke.

If he gets obstructive over the price or details just say you'll go through the insurance then, simple as that.

If they say looks like a write off go through the insurance.

You have the upper hand in all of this, he hit you !

The back bumper has gone in and the side have cracked where it took the impact, Im just worried that the bumper support needs replacing along with anything else that's located near the rear like the exhaust etc.

Thanks for your advice Chris, I will see if I Can get it to a body shop tonight, just wished I had taken a photo of his car, absolute wreck

Doh, atleast there admitting liability.

Regarding the strength not at all really. Cars in the EU must have crumble zones at the front, in case you hit a person, so there weaker.

Someone hit my mates car, both written off, but we saw the other drivers at the local scrappy few months later, so we were abit childish and smashed the thing in haha, was great satisfaction. If your angry and get the chance ;)

Would the bodyshop check for signs of damage that doesn't affect the bodywork, like the bumper support bar and the frame of the car?

Most likely not, as its just a quote they wont be removing anything.

There's bound to be a how-to on here about removing the back bumper, then take snaps

Even if the support bar is crap, it just bolts off anyhoo

Edited by danoid

My biggest worry is that on from the look of it you would hardly notice any damage, maybe a crack or 2 on the bumper, but it is whats behind the bumper that worries me, if the crash has caused major damage

You may be able to get on your back and look up behind the bumper andsee the crash bar.

I don't think the body people can pass your details on, so new bumper and on your way, well i'd most likely want to buy a new crash bar for piece of mind, but I see what your saying.

see if you can see anything

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5805593-Rear-bumper-removal-help!

thats a passat by the looks of it, but can't be that much different.

You'll have to remove the lights etc to remove the bumper, if you want a proper check first.

How fast roughly were you hit? If it was fast I would have thought your neck would be grim, but by the sounds of it your okay there.

Dont forget add £100 inconvience to the bill.

I was hit at a fare pace, the airbag didn't go off but have a headache from hell.

Thanks for the info Dan, once I get home ill take some snaps and post them up and see if anyone can spot any damage

The rear bumper comes off really easily. First remove the lights by taking out the torx screw that's visible (one on each light). The push the light straight out towards the side of the car (dunno if that make sense?). Then unplug the connector on each light. For the bumper there are roughly 10 torx screws (some on the underside, some on the top next to the boot and some in the arch lining). Take your time and lay a blanket or rug under your car in case it drops down by accident.

The bumper definitely needs to come off to check for panel damage behind it. Also check the floor inside the boot, as if there is damage in there, then it's pretty likely to be game over for the car. Unless you're handy with cutting panels and welding.

I'll whip the bumper off tonight and have a look, will also check inside of the boot for any damage and report back

Thanks for your help guys, typical, just got the car running nice and this happens

I would be interested to know why he want's to keep the insurance company out of it.

Did he show you his documents? Has he been freely available on the number he gave you?

I would still say, take it to a body shop and get a quote; after all it him who's paying. You will also need a car whilst yours is off the road getting repaired. Even if it goes to his insurer, you can still claim "cash" based on the agreed quote and fix it yourself.

R

I think he doesn't want to lose his no claims bonus. I checked his driving license after we pulled over as we was in the fast lane, and he is who he says he is, his car is insured and has valid tax.

Just got a email from him saying that if I get a quote to repair the damage, if I forward the quote to him or let him know how much it will cost to repair that he will be happy to pay for it.

The car really cant be off the road for long, the mrs is 9 months pregnant

Don't forget that even if your insurance company finds out that you have had a accident that is not your fault. Your future premiums could still be loaded.

Plus if you get any repairs done through an insurance company, it is more likely to be cheap and substandard work.

If the other driver is willing to pay for any damage and not use insurance, then this could be the best solution for the both of you

I hope its nothing too serious apart from a new rear bumper but my gut feeling is telling me it might be game over as I was shunted pretty hard.

I'll check the boot tonight for any signs of damage and get under the car and check for damage and leave the bumper on until I get it to the bodyshop as the sides look like they have come out as a result of the impact, so I might get it off but not back on again.

Edited by tintin360

As other people have said, get the bumper off and see if everything is straight.

Also, check the inside of the boot and the rear seats. See if everything liines up as it should.

Keeping stuff out of insurance would be best for both of you in the long run. Non claim faults still hike your premium up.

Get the insurance company involved.

You literally have no good reason not too.

What? Apart from the fact that the premiums will go up?!

If the guy seems legit then forward him the bill. I'd use insurance as a last resort.

If the damage can be repaired then I think the other driver should foot the bill.

If the car is a write off then I will cross that bridge when if I come to it, if the driver doesn't want to pay then the insurance company will be informed

Yer, get the other person to pay. Especially these days they're trying to get rid of any older cars, so slightish dink and they say no, arsebandits.

One thing though and I mean seriously go to the doctors emergency appointment/a+e. You got hit from the back and you have a really bad headache. Sounds like you may have mild concussion and best to get these things checked out. I really do mean check it out, rather than "meh"