Modern Classics

LiamD

Here's a good debate for y'all. We were discussing this last night in an incredibly drunken manner.

Question - what songs do we hear now, or have heard in the past 10/15 years, that will be still listened to and loved in another 10 or 15 years time? Personally, I don't think a lot of modern music will stand the test of time like the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis, etc.

So, with Youtube links where possible, fire away :)

My suggestions -

. I would say any of The Verve's records (bar Forth) will still sound fresh in 15 years time, but I am a bit biased!

Foo Fighters - Everlong. Possibly a little biased since it's one of my favourite tracks, but they are an incredible band.

• Like 2

I'm not going to link, but I'd go with the following. These are objective suggestions, some not being favourites at all.

Sabotage - Beastie Boys

Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Love Machine - Girls Aloud

Angels - Blobbie Robbie

Fools Gold - Stone Roses

See when I think of the Stone Roses, I think 'I am the Resurrection'.

Agreed on Robbie, it's actually a track I don't mind, I think it's impossible to hate that song.

What about Primal Scream? Movin' On Up and Loaded are potentially future classics.

A lot of the bands and songs that are considered classics were the first ones of the genre, The Stones, Beatles and Elvis were there at the birth of Rock N Roll. Led Zep and Deep Purple, etc were the start of Heavy Metal. Sex Pistols and Buzzcocks part of the Punk revolution. The later bands don't seem to be remembered as much.

Pop is quickly forgotten about, that's just the nature of it. I don't get it when you ask someone what music they like and they say 'chart stuff'. So they only listen to what's on the radio now. What about the stuff they were listening to 5 years ago in the charts? They probably couldn't even name most of their favourite songs back then. Anything from the X-factor et al is forgotten by the time the next series starts, no longevity to anyone that has ever been on it.

I can't see the Chili Peppers or the Foo's ever being as 'classic' as The Beatles. They won't be as well known.

Maybe I thought about that too much rather than just saying some songs I like. :lol: Everlong and Under The Bridge are mint songs though.

Agreed on Robbie, it's actually a track I don't mind, I think it's impossible to hate that song.

Disagree!

They may have been the pioneers, but surely these new artists can 'refine' the genre? Personally, I really dislike the Beatles!

I do think the Arctic Monkeys will become a classic band, they were the first of the Myspace created bands, the first band to become massive through the internet, and they write VERY good songs. It's also nice the Alex Turner sings in a Yorkshire accent, and doesn't put on a ****e Yank accent like some bands.

Another song though - The Libertines - Don't Look Back Into The Sun.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I'm by no means saying they're the best, I don't like the Beatles either.

I just can't see any subsequent bands ever being held in the same regard as The Beatles. Literally everybody knows them.

Other bands mentioned might be 'classic' rock bands, but The Beatles are just classic, if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, I'm by no means saying they're the best, I don't like the Beatles either.

I just can't see any subsequent bands ever being held in the same regard as The Beatles. Literally everybody knows them.

Other bands mentioned might be 'classic' rock bands, but The Beatles are just classic, if you know what I mean.

In a sick way (because I hate them), I think The Beatles of our generation is Take That. Everybody knows Take That, although they haven't become big in the USA like The Beatles did, maybe whatever band can crack the USA and have the mass appeal of Take That will become 'our' Beatles.

What do you think about bands like The Prodigy become classics? Will we still have the same love for them in our 50's as we did in our 20's? Haha.

Agreed. I still get goosebumps from this song.

Absolutely.

Semisonic - Closing time

Agreed, even though in my opinion, "Secret Smile" is a better song.

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire

Again, I agree that it will become a legendary song given time, but in my opinion, "Use Somebody" is a better song.

My additions to the list:

Faithless - Insomnia (Although it's already there as it was released in about 1995 I think? 14 years later & it still gets the same amazing reaction from people.)

The La's - There She Goes

Feeder - Buck Rogers

Green Day - Good Riddance

Ocean Colour Scene - The Day We Caught the Train

The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up

Semisonic - Closing time (Already mentioned)

Foo Fighters - Best of you

Greenday - When I come around

Ocean Colour Scene - Riverboat song

Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy

Edited by nfbr

. I would say any of The Verve's records (bar Forth) will still sound fresh in 15 years time, but I am a bit biased!

Yes!

Yep!

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Yes!

A few from me.....

Manic Street Preachers - A Design For life.

Fall Out Boy - This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race ??

The Coral - Dreaming of You..... This song got no credit.

Oasis - Wonderwall.

I'm struggling to pick a song for the Stereophonics. I've been a fan for many many years but I can't find one song that I like enough that I would consider it to be worthy of the "classic" title.

I forgot to add Paul Weller - You do something to me. One of my absolute favourite songs of all time.

(As an aside - I've got a client who manufactures and sells high-spec audio equipment - most of it is professional equipment that you'd see on stadium tours / in recording studios etc. Last time I visited them, they gave me a demo of some of their kit and played Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" and I got goosebumps - full on chill down my spine. That song, turned right up, on equipment of that quality (without any processing either - straight from the CD through the equipment, no graphic equalizer or anything) was absolutely *amazing*.)

As an aside - I've got a client who manufactures and sells high-spec audio equipment - most of it is professional equipment that you'd see on stadium tours / in recording studios etc. Last time I visited them, they gave me a demo of some of their kit and played Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" and I got goosebumps - full on chill down my spine. That song, turned right up, on equipment of that quality (without any processing either - straight from the CD through the equipment, no graphic equalizer or anything) was absolutely *amazing*.

some of seal's music is absolutely amazing for demonstrating equipment with!

Prayer for the Dying, Deep water, Whirlpool and Future Love Paradise are all absolutely amazing tracks which are some of the best produced tracks I've heard!

Another future classic (IMHO of course):

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

Edited by nfbr

I'm struggling to pick a song for the Stereophonics. I've been a fan for many many years but I can't find one song that I like enough that I would consider it to be worthy of the "classic" title.

Agree with the stereophonics.. i think the track for me is Dakota, always makes me feel good when it comes on :)

Link for it....

I think KOL will definitely be a band that i will remember and listen to for years to come... IMO all their albums have been great and varried.

Personally, an album for me that i will always have is The Foals - Antidotes. Not massively well know band, but definitely one of my favourite all time albums.