Playstation 3's

nfbr

I'm looking at getting myself a PS3 for x-mas. I've wanted to get a Blu-Ray player for a while now and all the ones under £200 seem to be reviewed as loading too slowly and skipping between chapters on the disc.

I've heard good reviews about Blu-Ray playback on the PS3 and thus am Willing to spend the extra £100 ish to have a playable games console as well...

The problem is this...

Everywhere I look the consoles are at least £290 on their own, in most places they are £300 as part of a package deal.

However, In said package deals they only seem to come with **** Games or cheep Non-OEM Accessories.

The best deal I've found so far is on Play.com

£299.99 delivered for an 80GB Playstation 3, GTA-IV, Blu-Ray Remote control and "300" the movie on Blu-Ray disc.

As seen here

Can anyone find a better deal out there from a reputable shop and is there anything I need to know about the PS3 that I probably don't already know ?

Edited by nfbr

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one recently when the exbox dvd drive failed, we use it mainly for playing dvds on (Standard tv, standard dvds, not blueray). Works well, it's almost silent, well compared to the exbox anyway, noise isn't obtrusive when watching films etc. I ended up getting it from amazon, 1 controller, gta4 for a tenner and a free hdmi cable, it was 300 quid for the console. I got the dvd remote from asda for 15 quid, was the same price as getting it online, so instant gratification won there ;)

No other hassles with it, it needs updates every now and again, usually it won't sign in online if you need to update it, that puzzled me for a while till I realised what was wrong. Also, i've read they like to be laid flat, not stood up on the end - better cooling and less wear and tear on the drive

i think for the price difference id go for an xbox, im currently in the same situation i want a ps3 but by the time u have bought it and got at least 2 decent games your lookin at close to 500quid. i think im jus gunna get myself another xbox.

i think for the price difference id go for an xbox, im currently in the same situation i want a ps3 but by the time u have bought it and got at least 2 decent games your lookin at close to 500quid. i think im jus gunna get myself another xbox.

the fail-box doesn't have a blu-ray player...

I'm not much of a games person, more of a movie person...

I've already got a Top Notch regular dvd player with upscaleing, SACD and DVD-A playback

get yourself to a large tesco store. currently selling ps3 for 250!

Bargain price!

I'll have to have a look at the price of the game I want and the remote seperately and see how much that adds upto :)

Edited by nfbr

how do you get to 500 quid!? 300 for console plus 2 games at 40, isnt even 400...

We've got one and use it for Blurays. Awesome picture on the big LCD. Bloke in the Sony shop told us that it's the best bluray player currently available. better than the standalone ones and cheaper.

get yourself to a large tesco store. currently selling ps3 for 250!

Unfortunately this appears to be a blatant mis-truth unless some random store somewhere has the old 20/40/60gb ones in stock at a clearance price.

Just been to four Massively sized Tesco Stores, none of them had anything advertised cheeper than £299.97 and after speaking to the customer services at each individual store - I'm now pretty certain none of the stores are doing them at £250.00.

i have a ps3, 360, and wii, and the ps3 gets turned on the least amount out of the lot.
I'm not much of a games person, more of a movie person...

As said previously, I'm not buying it as a games machine, I'm buying it as a Blu Ray player with the added bonus of games if I ever feel like gaming. In particular when GT5 comes out.

We've got one and use it for Blurays. Awesome picture on the big LCD. Bloke in the Sony shop told us that it's the best bluray player currently available. better than the standalone ones and cheaper.

Cool, Sounds like the reviews I've read regarding blu-ray on the PS3 are right so far.

Edited by nfbr

Playstation 3 is an excellent machine, ive just put a 320GB hard drive into mine, not only is it a great blu-ray player, but its a very good CD player aswell with its optical out for sound, also you rip cd's onto its hard drive and can choose the settings too rip at CD Quality, so it works as an ipod, only better! I use mine for games, blu rays and music and find it's the best all-rounder machine for home entertainment!! Plus Sony are completley on top of things, they've just brought out "Play TV" which is a DVR for the ps3 allowing you to record, pause and rewind live tv !

Get one, you wont regret, by the way that deal on Play is very good value for money.

Matt

Cheers for that Matt,

I was just looking at its ability to hold use as a Jukebox as well. Maybe I could sell on my Apple TV and free up some cash that way!

Whats Play TV all about then ? Can you record stuff off sky aswel or is it just for recording Freeview programs ?

REsident...Evil....Fiiiiive

I need you.

Want a 360 as they are cheapo now, but then Final Fantasy 13 is due out and thats playstation only....Meh!!

Sainsburies had the Budget Failbox360's for £99 the other week !

the thing I don't like about the Failbox360 in terms of gaming is that if you fancy going online you have to pay AGAIN ontop of the console and ontop of the game!

i got my playstation 3 free with my phone contract can tell you more details if you want.

when you get the playstaion 3 get the better cable as well improves the quality some what.

i love my playstation 3 as most my mates have it so swapping games/borrowing is easy.

allso like some one else has said ps3 seems to be compatible and very versatile

gary

i got my playstation 3 free with my phone contract can tell you more details if you want.

when you get the playstaion 3 get the better cable as well improves the quality some what.

i love my playstation 3 as most my mates have it so swapping games/borrowing is easy.

allso like some one else has said ps3 seems to be compatible and very versatile

gary

ooh don't tel al about the contract free ps3's...!! :lol:

remember you can connect the PS3 to your PC via Wireless internet and have access to all your movies and music!

I don't have a PC.

ooh don't tel al about the contract free ps3's...!! :lol:

People who live near landmines should tread carefully.