Different options for lowering

mk2

I was thinking that the usual way to lower is either coil overs, short coils, modding the shocks or what? Is there a kit available (small enough) that has an electrically adjustable ride height controller, like on classic hot rods. I think I'd like to have a setting that when I park, I could completely ground it.....

If you just want a subtle lowering, get some lowering springs.

Air, hydro not worth it at all imo, but Matt is right, that's the only way.

Have fat friends

yeah. :clap:

But seriously, if I set myself a budget of 6k for all the mods, I think 3k should cover the suspension. But what is better? Air or hydro? Isn't hyrdo a lot more hassle because of the pressures? And you need a mega pump somewhere. Air you can use a small compressor and simple tubing similar to what's used as a tyre inflator thing. Both are noisy though. The closest kit I can find is for a Mk5 Golf. But since Polo's are the big twin, I wonder if someone in germany I know knows of such a thing...?

Any UK tuning companies offering any kits?

I've also been looking at wheels. There are some really good one's out there from looking at the photos thread. Some me thinks really don't look right though, but I guess it's all a question of taste.

So far the ideas are as follows:

based on a 1.7 SDI- been thinking of electric blue or bogey green as a base car as I've just looked at that one in Wales on offer at the mo.

1.9 PDI 130 conversion or turbine. (130 is more than enough).

stainless exhaust- no cat- out to centre rear GTi back bumper- colour coded of course.

front bumper all frenched and colour coded.

add rear Gti spoiler.

adjustable lowering kit with adjustable shocks (no need to uncomfortable after all).

tints

wheels

sill 'skirts', but not sure which sort as there are 3 that I've found.

decent wifi connected ICE head unit with blue tooth and USB.

boot light (of course!)

maybe reversing sensors

AC if I can find one somewhere.

heated windscreen if it exists

not sure about the headlights yet.

add OEM mudflaps if I can find them

OEM satnav??? Has anyone ever seen it?

does a cargo tray exist?

mats.

Keep everything else stock.

There was never 4WD polo was there? I'm sure there's space for a haldex unit....

My hydro's cost £2590 including all fitting and notching of the chassis needed to get it lower. Was done at Rayvern Hydraulics, have a google!

I have access to engineering workshops for all this stuff, so that is easy... Thanks for the info on Rayvern's. I can't find any info on which shocks they use. To power the hydraulics, you can use a standard power steering pump, with a high pressure accumulator tank for the sudden change in volume- if you need it (if you want to make your car bunny hop). For air systems, you can use a vane driven ac compressor with an oil separator. But again, I just can't find small shocks anywhere. Loads of american big stuff. No diddy lupo suspension parts (or similar).

That's really simple. Gotcha. Ok, so just need a simple servo valve block (ex bobcat), switches, wiring, 4 small rams and some plumbing. Easy. So why's it cost so much? i guess the same could be done using air- like bits off a landrover or other thing with air adjustable suspension. The most difficult bit is simply making a 'thing' to join the top of each lupo shock to the base of a ram. And a ram to lupo bracket (tube?). I shall search...

Something like this but bigger:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181557039516

cheers :)

...We have a foam boot liner in the SE but I've never seen another one around.

You obviously haven't looked hard enough. I have one and a spare in the shed and 3/4 one that my dog chewed when she was a pup.

What was done with mine was the hydraulic rams were welded into my original shocks, and there's a fancy little monoshock assembly in the back for each corner, ill try and take some photos for you if you'd like?

Yeah would like to see a pic or two.... What sort of control gear do you have for it, and do you use a fluid splitter feed from the power steering pump? It's the same fluid which makes life easier.

Also for the front shocks, did you use the same strut bearings?

When you lower a Lupo, how do you deal with the rear brake compensator?

Dumb question, but if it 'thinks' the back of the car is fully loaded, it'll affect the braking (a lot).