bump strip problem

awrite guys, i have just started to take off the side bumpstrips off ma yellow lupo, nd found tht they r much lighter under neath, to the extend tht i dont think the area has been painted. is this the case? or does any1 know how to get rid of it? apart from paintin?

sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> - Keep ya chin up - enjoy the drugs while it lasts!

It does sound like Tigz suggests - if they're yellow but lighter in colour, then the factory have lacquered over the bump strips. This is not usual, but obviously happens sometimes. You'll probably need to get the lacquer redone in those places. I'd reccomend a professional as opposed to a can of lacquer.

it could also be glue residue or where it wasnt polished

Quite true - it could be polish - if it is (or even if it's glue) it should come off with some elbow grease.

If you run your finger over it, does it appear to be sunken or raised? I recon raised = something over the top of the paint, sunken = no lacquer.

Edited by bossjohnc

i think the case is with yellow lupos is the paint, its wot u call 2k (made up of 2 parts and sprayed on the cars as 1 mixture (no laquar). This is a how all cars were painted (ford yellow cars are also painted with is paint. The only problem with this paint is that it fades with the sunlight (red 2k paint is the worst).

What i would recomend is some Yellow `T-cut` and that should bring it back to original colour no problem at all.

I remember max worrying about having his spoiler repainted wen he was selling his car so i told him to t cut it and he told me it brought it back to original condition.

I wasnt 100% about the type of paint used on yellow lupos but now as i have heard stories and seen yellow lupos with faded paintwork im 95% sure its the paint.

If u have some normal t cut that would be fine, but yellow stuff is better.

A test to see if it is 2K paint would be to get a clean cloth, put some NORMAL t cut and just rub a little part of the car(no to much as u will have to do the whole thing) and see if the cloth is yellow. If it is yellow its the paint that is getting rubbed off one the cloth (nothing to worry about) but if the cloth stays the same colour the paint is laquar.

Hope that makes sense to u guys.

Any problems give me a shout

i have onli taken off the rear parts, not the whole lot yet, i think it mite just be faded paint, nd am goin 2 spend time polishin it wen i have the time. and if tht wont do the job i wil try t cut. would it damage it if ther aint ne laquer ther nd i keep them off?

cherz

the whole point in 2K paint is so that is doesnt need laquar. the 2 parts of the paint make it coloured and shiney. Polishing it will do nothing as polish doesnt have any cutting abilities in it. Yellow T Cut is the way to go m8, its not expensive and wont take that long.

How doesnt the paint look? does it look shiney? does it feel smooth.

I will bet money on it that it needs a `t-cut`, lupos are painted fully then the bump strips are added later on to different models (eg black strips and coloured strips, its gotta be the same for arosas, i think the case that the bump strips had laquar over them is rubbish, i think the car had a respray and the bumpstrips were masked off, and left a hard edge of laquar

Sounds right to me - like Paul says.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats this place like , if u need ICE help speak to Tigz , paint help speak to Paul and then if u want summit chatted up and fail misribly speak to crusoe ! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

i now think tht it has had a respray, (a very gd 1 at tht), so am thinkin of just sprayin the bumpstrips ma self then stikin them back on, as they aint actualy painted propery underneeth!!! thnx anyway

JJ

i went to see the lupo and i think its had a re-spray tbh, dont know how u'd sort it either..... best bet is to put the bump strips back on m8. plus go and ask the garage if its had a smash..... see what they say

Sorry you had that problem mate (I'm the Arosa who had the same thing). Sounds like you've thought of a good solution though smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />