Feeding aux wire from head unit

Ok so I considered a replacement vw head unit and then aftermarket head units but in the end just decided to go with an aux adapter

http://bit.ly/11aScg1

But where do I feed the aux cable once connected ? I imagined through the back and out under the steering wheel but is it that easy ?

Will I need to drill a whole or just remove the cup holders or something ? Thanks

• Like 1

Place a torch under the pedals looking up and look through the hole where the head unit goes, should help you find a path. I've had better luck taping the wire to a stick or ruler to push through :) Still quite fiddly though...

I think it's possible to feed it down and behind the cup holders so the cable is then in your glovebox. In an Arosa there's just a plastic coin holder but I can imagine it will be as simple for a lupo

If you've got cupholders underneath the double din area, take them off (two screws iirc) you can then feed the aux cable down from inside the din area to the stash tray on either side. I had mine go down to the driver's side one, so the steering wheel hid the music player. No need to drill.

I've just run a USB cable into my coin tray, took lots of progress pics for my build thread which might help if you wanted to do something similar.

I really like the look of that switch blank thingummy though, that's probably a better idea, damn :lol:

@passatgt

That is well smart. I might try and make something like that myself, for a tutorial. Wouldn't be hard, would be super cheap, and would look freaking awesome!!

As RogG and Al said, the best way (imo) is to feed them from behind that lower dash trim. Now, if you've got a post 2001 Lupo you'll be limited a little bit so you'll want to make sure they are fed neatly otherwise they'll catch on the two trays. However... :P pre-2001 owners such as myself have the benefit of the underdash switches instead of the cupholder. Now the switches only take up about about 2 inches each, so all behind is empty space and I've used mine to my advantage as much as possible. I've fed the rear USB cable down into that tray and propped it so I can access it. The rear USB is actually for a WiFi/3G dongle. Mine has the WiFi dongle permanently plugged in though. I've also fed the external mic wire down there as I am considering mounting a high quality mic into one of the switches. Also, I could have fed the GPS receiver into their and propped it behind a blank cover, but I ended up feeding it from behind the box and mounting it on the dash instead. I also took a digital TV aerial, an aux cable + an iPod cable down their, but I made sure all excess wire + RCA connections are safely hidden in that underdash. Little gem.

Here is a picture (different head unit now but same principal):

20120808133850.jpg

Top left is the GPS receiver, bottom just below the dash switches is the iPod cable.