New engine or conversion?

Right my lupo went in for MOT and the mechanic explained that the engine has been previously thrashed so I'm unsure if to just attempt to find an AFK engine which is proving hard at the moment

OR

do an AUB conversion as I have found an engine

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I got lots to do on this car

Is there anything actually wrong with it?

not much only the fact its been thrashed leaks a little oil around the head, its just I don't wanna get all the rust sorted/ lower it / get nice wheels then the engine dies

If it's not presenting problems run it into the ground and go from there. Wheels/suspension are easily swapped over in a day and if you don't get another lupo they are in demand so you'll have no problem selling.

I wouldn't trust some random mechanic especially one who was just doing an MOT, however if he's your go to guy and you trust him ask him why he said what he has.

I find this relevant;

If it's not presenting problems run it into the ground and go from there. Wheels/suspension are easily swapped over in a day and if you don't get another lupo they are in demand so you'll have no problem selling.

I wouldn't trust some random mechanic especially one who was just doing an MOT, however if he's your go to guy and you trust him ask him why he said what he has.

I find this relevant;

I guess I'll keep it then give it a service as hasn't been looked after since about 2009 maybe get new spark plugs, get an air filter oil and oil filter, clean throttle body as its covered in oil and maybe fit an oil catch can, and if the engine does go just buy another.

And hes been family MOTer for a long time and I know a few other people that go to him as well, He's always done his best to fix up cars and get them though MOT and has always suggested cheaper options if somethings gone wrong

I guess I'll keep it then give it a service as hasn't been looked after since about 2009 maybe get new spark plugs, get an air filter oil and oil filter, clean throttle body as its covered in oil and maybe fit an oil catch can, and if the engine does go just buy another.

And hes been family MOTer for a long time and I know a few other people that go to him as well, He's always done his best to fix up cars and get them though MOT and has always suggested cheaper options if somethings gone wrong

What he may have meant is he's spotted a problem (something like a crack in the block/head or whatever) that would not be financially viable to fix eg. £500 worth of repairs to and engine in a car that's only worth around £700 but you really need to speak to him and see what his issues are with the engine and why he suggests it's been "thrashed".

A service never hurts and as said if it's giving you no running issues there's no need to start doubting the health of the engine. As and when a serious problem arises you can then decide what to do

Edited by matt123roll

As others have said, I'd like to see this mechanics justification for why he thinks it's been thrashed. Head gaskets can crack for all kinds of reasons, not just because the car has been thrashed. If it isn't financially viable to fix, which is something you need to ask yourself, then as others have said, run it into the ground. However, the way I rationalize whether something is worth fixing:

If the fix will cost less than the approximate cost + running costs of buying another car, then it is probably worth having it done.

If the fix will cost the same or more, plus deducting any considerable damage from the resale value of your car, then it probably isn't worth it.

e.g. If your Lupo is worth £900 and a new head gasket is, £400, can you get another Lupo that is in as good condition, with as good interior, that has been serviced, that's had the cambelt done recently, that's taxed, that's MOT'd for £400? I'd say no, probably not. If your Lupo was worth £900 but thanks to all the dents is probably worth only about £500, and the fix is worth £400, then you need to ask yourself whether it would be worth spending that much on a car that won't return you much in resale. If the car is worth £400 and the fix is £400 then I would say it's probably not worth it as your car's probably a ****ter.

Edited by Skezza

Head gaskets can crack for all kinds of reasons.

From what the OP has said, there is a bit of oil weeping from the rocker cover gasket. Nothing is actually wrong with it at all - stuff like this is normal in older cars.

OP, I'd just give it a decent service and go from there. Assuming oil isn't posing out of the side of the block or something, but if anything were bad you wouldn't have bought it in the first place?

From what the OP has said, there is a bit of oil weeping from the rocker cover gasket. Nothing is actually wrong with it at all - stuff like this is normal in older cars.

OP, I'd just give it a decent service and go from there. Assuming oil isn't posing out of the side of the block or something, but if anything were bad you wouldn't have bought it in the first place?

Sorry, didn't read the OP properly. My bad.

Yeah, I imagine a decent service would help a lot.

Well I've just got the car back from him cost £230 to get the handbrake cable sorted/ thermostat/ sorted out 1st gear and the MOT

You guys think I should carry on with this project?

Well I've just got the car back from him cost £230 to get the handbrake cable sorted/ thermostat/ sorted out 1st gear and the MOT

You guys think I should carry on with this project?

What was wrong with 1st gear? £230 seems like a lot IMO, thermostat isn't a big job nor is adjusting the handbrake cables. Carry on if you like it, you have money in it now if it's giving you no problems where the sense in getting rid? :)

What was wrong with 1st gear? £230 seems like a lot IMO, thermostat isn't a big job nor is adjusting the handbrake cables. Carry on if you like it, you have money in it now if it's giving you no problems where the sense in getting rid? :)

Had to put it into 2nd and then put it into 1st lol so just needed adjusting I guess, yeah I guess it is but MOT is £50 a big part of it and yeah love the little car wanna get it looking nice :D

So much stupidity in one thread.

Well, you could always curve that stupidity and add something relevant? Instead, by writing that, you've simply added to the stupidity creating an almost stupidity wormhole that everyone is going to be dragged into.

• Like 1

Well, you could always curve that stupidity and add something relevant? Instead, by writing that, you've simply added to the stupidity creating an almost stupidity wormhole that everyone is going to be dragged into.

Haha love this

Picture in my mind of a stupidity wormhole wooooo

I'm simply commenting, however you're maintaining the status quo in this thread.

Sense says, as you already have spent money on it give the engine and bay a good degrease\clean and service. Then regularly check to see where the oil is leaking from.

You should get tell tell signs fairly quickly which will let you know if it's the cam cover gasket or worse.

As already said though, if the engine is running fine and smooth and not losing\burning too much oil, just keep running it.

Out of interest what is the mileage?

Sense says, as you already have spent money on it give the engine and bay a good degrease\clean and service. Then regularly check to see where the oil is leaking from.

You should get tell tell signs fairly quickly which will let you know if it's the cam cover gasket or worse.

As already said though, if the engine is running fine and smooth and not losing\burning too much oil, just keep running it.

Out of interest what is the mileage?

its at 125k and sounds pretty rough, wanted to check the spark plugs and 3 of them were submerged in oil I'm assuming from what I read up the cam cover gasket has gone?

and mechanic says its burning oil and bolt or something in the exhaust and its got 3 holes blocked up with filler/heat tape