1.2 Clio better than Lupo GTI?

DanGTI

.....well no....but ive changed my opinion on `frog-mobiles`.

I hate french cars but after having this hire car for a week ive grown to like several things about it....so heres the better / worse list.

Bad things; it feels flimsy - the doors are so light its worrying, the steering is spongy and the wheel is way too big. The gearbox judders constantly and takes some real effort to clunk into 1st and 2nd. Interior plastics look and feel crap.

The brakes are better (than any lupo), the seats for a '`non-sports`' model are very comfy, have excellent adjustment and hold you in nicely, the lights come on automatically (saves those 'why are they all flashing me?' moments), the cd player does the job ok and the doorcards are much better for speakers than the loop. It also has a control on the steering wheel. I like that it tells me my mpg. I also like that the boot is worth opening when I need to carry something......and theres even a glovebox!

From someone who would've instantly disliked this car, after a week its not so bad. I would actually consider test driving a 172 or 182 now.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Thats my exact thoughts on french cars. I've even had the pleasure of wrighting 1 off. Its quite scary watching the metal fold around you.I don't think it would have be as bad in a VW.

i think clios are great cars, especially the 172s and 182s. Before i bought the lupo i very nearly bought a 172 cup, that colour is just gorgeous and they shift like crap off a stick! but i was swayed to the lupo by running costs and insurance etc, so i thought the lupo gti was the better option, plus i am in love with the dub scene! (if i can say that?!)

i suppose the reason got my lupo is cos i didnt wanna be like everyone else. i would most probably be sticking with vag cars from now onwards biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Ive driven a few 172s and I really didnt like them, they just felt so flimsy. Like I was going to break something if I pulled to hard!

a euro 182 would be nice. but i have to agree with payna, i also got the lupo to be different, i have lost count on the amount of 172s i have seen, mind you a did see a very nice black 182 with the cup pack anthracite wheels on! mmmmm! but i have always loved vee dubs ever since i got my first car, which was a mk4 polo on 16inch OZ deep dishes, leather interior, pity it was only a 1.0 otehr wise i would probably still have it!

I like the 172/182s even if they werent as fast as they are they are still very smart looking. even if they are mad of egg boxes sown together! I like them and WILL def own a clio V6 at some point in my life as they look superb and it means u don't have to run everyone home from the pub!

maybe it isnt as good....but what im asaying is there are some redeeming features.....and some advantages.

I forgot to mention that although steering is a little spongy compared to the loop body roll is much much less and the brakes are definately better than any stadndard loop so you can go into roundabouts and bends quicker (than a GTI).

Once it wouldnt be an option for me as a devout VAG driver but I would consider a nearly new 182 or V6 Clio now.

I'm a fan of the current clio, driven a few of them, one was an ex's and used to drive it quite frequently, nice little motor, even in 1.2 guise. Would certainly have a 182 or similar, and the V6, despite its many many flaws, I still would.

Not really a fan of French cars although we did own a 406 for a while which was quite nice and better handling than the Bora that replaced it.

It's interesting that everyone comments on the lightweight build yet Renaults are among the best performing cars in the Euro NCAP crash tests.

I'd still rather be in a German car though.

renault panels dint at the sign of a sponge and soapy water, and the electrics are pap, and there spotwelds are miles apart on average 4" apart whereas vw average 1 to 2 " i know what i would rather drive, french ***** , KEEP IT I WOULD RATHER WALK..................... :!: